Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Question for Flexbar Users (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440843)

jgrushing 09-22-2012 06:27 AM

Question for Flexbar Users

I am battling a moderate case of tennis elbow. I started using the green Flexbar on Tuesday. I've been careful to get the exercise right. After 4 days, I would say that I have slightly more soreness. Strength seems to be improving. The exercise is definitely hitting the correct area. Did you experience the same thing as the motion works to "rebuild" the damaged tendons/muscles? At this point, I am still very optimistic.

Ramon 09-22-2012 06:49 AM

Tennis elbow takes a while to heal. It's hard to say what's happening without knowing more about the severity of it and other related things you are doing like resting, ice, anti-inflammatory creams, weight training, equipment changes, etc.

I use the green Flexbar also. I do the exercise where you twist your wrists and the strengthening exercises for your forearms. I think it's been very helpful, not on its own, but as part of an overall solution to addressing tennis elbow. In my case, equipment changes were necessary because I was using poly strings and a stiff racquet. Even now that my elbow is healed, I still can't go back to the old equipment. In addition to that, I used ibuprofen, anti-inflammatory creams, ice after tennis, and added new exercises in the gym. I also tried a couple of those bands you wear next to your elbow, but I didn't think they gave me much benefit. After about 2 weeks I had noticeable improvement, and my elbow continued to get better gradually over the next few months.

jgrushing 09-22-2012 02:38 PM

I use Volkl V1 Classics and have for years. I've recently switched to using gut, full bed at first. Am going to try gut mains, syn crosses and see how that feels. So, my equipment is pretty arm friendly.

My one handed backhand is my occasional culprit when I get late. Not a bad backhand but it's easy to hurt when you hit the ball late. I'm hoping added strength and conditioning in the forearm and elbow is the ticket. My last major bout with TE was probably 6 or 7 years ago. Growing older is the main problem.

goober 10-03-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgrushing (Post 6913341)
I am battling a moderate case of tennis elbow. I started using the green Flexbar on Tuesday. I've been careful to get the exercise right. After 4 days, I would say that I have slightly more soreness. Strength seems to be improving. The exercise is definitely hitting the correct area. Did you experience the same thing as the motion works to "rebuild" the damaged tendons/muscles? At this point, I am still very optimistic.

If you are feeling soreness I would actually use the red bar. With the red bar I seem to get the benefit without making it more sore or worse. I mostly use the green when I am not sore to build up strength.

jgrushing 10-04-2012 06:18 AM

Thanks for the input. I have ordered the red bar. There is no doubt in my mind that the exercise is targeting the tendon well. It's just quite sore. However, it makes sense as I have played tennis for 40 years. I've probably damaged/healed several times over the years. I haven't had tennis elbow often though; the last bout was 6 or 7 years ago.

I am hopeful that the red bar will allow me to do the exercise more agressively through the range of motion.

icarus180 10-04-2012 02:59 PM

I use the green bar regularly doing both the Tyler Twist and the reverse TT (as well as some rotator cuff stuff), and can now comfortably do multiple sets of 25+ without any discomfort during nor soreness in the days following the exercises. This, combined with holding my racket with a very loose grip, seems to have relieved me from my GE/TE issues. Question: Is there any benefit to be had in moving up to the blue flexbar? Also, I do the exercises daily. Any problems with this?

Thanks for your help:)

Greg G 10-04-2012 03:29 PM

Has anyone gotten soreness on the OTHER elbow doing the reverse tyler twist? @_@

LanEvo 10-04-2012 11:14 PM

How many lbs. is the flexbar? I am not sure which one to get, 10,15, or 25lbs. Which one is the recommended one to start with?

jgrushing 10-05-2012 05:01 AM

I don't think that's as clear cut as most people on here will try to tell you. It's not based on how strong you are. I think the severity of your problem is more of a factor. It seems the original protocol has you stepping up from easier to harder as condition improves.

I started with the green. However, I've ordered a red one because my soreness has increased if anything. I think the green is limiting me from going through the full range of the exercise without substantial pain.

The reviews make the FlexBar sound like a miracle, instant cure. If that's what you're expecting and you have a more than very minor case of TE, you'll likely be disappointed. I remain optimistic that I'm on the right track with the FlexBar but only time will tell. TE is a bad thing and very difficult to really get rid of.

mikeler 10-05-2012 05:44 AM

My experience has been that the flexbar is better at dealing with GE than TE.

jgrushing 10-05-2012 06:12 AM

Could be but the original clinical trial was working on TE. So, I am hopeful. I know that it has my tendon quite sore right now. Hopefully, that's caused by stretching, "remodeling", etc. It doesn't really feel like it's doing further damage.