Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Health & Fitness (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Thinking about Lasik (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440846)

red rook 09-22-2012 07:49 AM

Thinking about Lasik

Any advice? Im 34 and have toric lenses which bounce around during play. So annoying. Went and got quoted for 3600 for both eyes, either prk or lasik same price. What say my compadres?

Greg G 09-22-2012 08:25 AM

I had LASIK when I was 36. Had some dryness issues for a few months, nothing too bad. My only regret was waiting so long to do it!

WildVolley 09-22-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg G (Post 6913486)
I had LASIK when I was 36. Had some dryness issues for a few months, nothing too bad. My only regret was waiting so long to do it!

I want more details as I'm considering it, especially if the equipment has improved enough to reduce the risks to a very, very low rate. I figure having 20/20 vision would really improve my tennis, as I'm myopic.

How much did your vision improve? Has the improvement lasted? Have you had any night vision issues?

Nostradamus 09-22-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red rook (Post 6913445)
Any advice? Im 34 and have toric lenses which bounce around during play. So annoying. Went and got quoted for 3600 for both eyes, either prk or lasik same price. What say my compadres?

There is a coupon to take off 50 %. or if you get this done in mexico, it only costs $50 per eye.

sureshs 09-22-2012 11:25 AM

I think it can be done cheaper than 3600$.

But check the record of the place, reputation of the surgeon and so on.

jswinf 09-22-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red rook (Post 6913445)

It's a good option. If you're gonna do it, go ahead, get some more glasses/contacts-free years in before you need reading glasses. (Maybe 10 years or so for you, bucko.) :)

Price can vary, but you have to be confident in the surgeon and the entire operation. $3600 sounds reasonable, maybe if you whine about the cost a little a staff person will come up with a discount.

Equipment these days is very good and complications are very rare. Still, it's an option, people can see just as clearly with glasses or contact lenses. If you don't like wearing glasses and contact lenses aren't doing it for you, why not go for it?

red rook 09-22-2012 03:06 PM

The surgeon is in Alexandria VA and claims over 68,000 procedures done. I was thinking 3600 was a little high too? Perhaps its higher because it includes a lifetime warranty. That sounds weird - a warranty for your eyeballs lol!

I would think it would help my tennis as these toric lenses keep my vision quality low when I'm doing physical activity.

sureshs 09-22-2012 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red rook (Post 6914014)
The surgeon is in Alexandria VA and claims over 68,000 procedures done. I was thinking 3600 was a little high too? Perhaps its higher because it includes a lifetime warranty. That sounds weird - a warranty for your eyeballs lol!

I would think it would help my tennis as these toric lenses keep my vision quality low when I'm doing physical activity.

I knew a person whose laser surgery was botched, and he had to undergo 50 more treatments to correct it. Yes, 50. That is what the warranty is for.

mikeler 09-22-2012 04:05 PM

Don't go cheap on your eyes. I happily paid about the same for my wife and her eyes have been great for over a decade now.

Greg G 09-22-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildVolley (Post 6913595)
I want more details as I'm considering it, especially if the equipment has improved enough to reduce the risks to a very, very low rate. I figure having 20/20 vision would really improve my tennis, as I'm myopic.

How much did your vision improve? Has the improvement lasted? Have you had any night vision issues?

Hmmm. I was myopic with a grade of -5.75 and -4.50. Vision without glasses was something like 20/150. After LASIK, until today- 20/20. Waking up and not having to grope around for glasses is the best feeling ever :)

As I said earlier, I had issues with dryness, so I would get a gritty sensation if I forgot to use my lubricant drops. This lasted about 4-5 months, but nothing to worry about. I do get a bit of glare at night, but nothing I notice unless I really try to look for it/be aware of it. And nothing that affects driving or anything else, really. The laser technology used has improved quite a bit from 7 years ago, so the occurrence of these issues are much less now.

Do make sure to look at the reputation/track record of the surgeon/laser center. Look into what machine/s he uses. Make sure the corneal flap is made using a laser too (bladeless LASIK). Although mine was done with a blade (wasn't invented yet). Like any medical procedure, there are risks involved, so be sure to discuss them with your doctor.

Good luck!

Dedans Penthouse 09-23-2012 08:59 AM

Recomend it. My baby blues now enjoy 20/10 (L) and 20/15 (R) vision. Good luck.

r2473 09-23-2012 10:29 AM

I had it done ~10 years ago.

I had to go back to glasses 3 years ago.

sureshs 09-23-2012 11:29 AM

I was also told that once long sight sets in with age, glasses will be needed again.

mark999 09-23-2012 01:50 PM

if cataracts run in your family, ask the surgeon how lasik surgery can hurt your chances of having successful cataract surgery. my sister in law had serious problems with cataract surgery, the result was her vision actually got worse and there was nothing the eye surgeon could do to fix the problem.
the surgeon said between 25-30% of lasik patients have problems with cataract surgery. something to think about.

sureshs 09-23-2012 06:13 PM

Both my parents had cataract surgeries.

Greg G 09-23-2012 07:37 PM

Guys, cataracts come with age. Yes it can run early in some families.

The issue with lasik and cataract surgeries is mainly just the preoperative measurements for the intraoclar lens that will replace the cataracts us lens. Today's LASIK evaluation protocols include measurements for future cataract surgeries, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Yes once you hit 40 or so, you'll start needing reading glasses. Nothing to do with the LASIK directly. If you were nearsighted before, you would not need reading glasses right away, depending on your refraction. But with the LASIK, you take away your nearsightedness, hence the eventual need for reading glasses.

LASIK changes the shape of the central cornea, changing the focus. Since the laser is done on living tissue- it tries to heal itself. This healing is taken into account when calculating the amount of ablation done. Bt there are outliers, patients whose cornea heals faster/more exuberantly. These are the patients whose vision may regress, needing a follow-up laser treatment.

jswinf 09-24-2012 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6914079)
Don't go cheap on your eyes. I happily paid about the same for my wife and her eyes have been great for over a decade now.

It's nice that you feel like you got a good deal when you purchased your wife.

sureshs 09-24-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jswinf (Post 6916721)
It's nice that you feel like you got a good deal when you purchased your wife.

Is $3600 a good price for a wife? What is the going rate?

r2473 09-24-2012 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeler (Post 6914079)

I think it all comes down to the machine they are using.

So a place that does a high volume, can often times afford the latest and greatest machine, and won't need to charge as much either.

Quality and price are not always related. Sometimes there are other factors driving up price. Then the facility in question relies on marketing to be perceived as "higher quality" as compared to "those other guys that do a million of these a day".

By the way, $3,600 is a steal for a wife.

mikeler 09-24-2012 05:02 PM

I've often wondered what the price per "session" truly is. Probably could get a better deal in the Pro market. :)