Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Head Youtek IG Speed (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440851)

karamanovic 09-22-2012 08:51 AM

Head Youtek IG Speed

Hello all! :)

I want to ask a few questions. I am looking for a new control oriented racket which is also maneuverable. I am currently using the Head Instinct but maybe I thought Speed would be a better option. Hovewer the MP version is heavier than instinct and I am worried if my arm would be tired as the match progresses since I am not used to the weight. What do you think about the 300 version? I heard it didn't offer so much control. Thanks! :)

Blaxican10s 09-22-2012 09:10 AM

I found the IG Speed to be too too unstable and it gave off too much vibration on off-centered hits. Not a fan of it at all.

karamanovic 09-23-2012 02:56 AM

But that was the 315 version, I guess, right?

beepee1972 09-23-2012 09:57 AM

I'm receiving the speed 300 in the second half of this week for testing. It is also on my list as possible new racket... So no info yet, but ask again in 2 weeks and I will be able to give you my opinion

JGads 09-23-2012 11:58 AM

I had to hit with a Speed 300 when I was out of town once and it was the only frame this club had available for a demo. I hated it. It felt off and pretty stiff, and actually pretty sluggish through the air because of the balance. I actually think the 315 version moves through the air more easily, and is a far better stick. The 16/19 version of the 315 Speed is a stick not many people seem to like, but every time I try it, it's excellent and gets the job done. Just swings so cleanly, but it's a string sensitive frame.

Eugene Choi 09-23-2012 05:31 PM

If you dont mind a smaller headsize and heavier racquet, the Wilson prostaff 6.1 95 is amazing for control. I demoed (idk about spelling) the Prostaff and loved it.

Tyler91 09-23-2012 05:51 PM

I demo'd the IG Speed 300 and really liked it. I ended up buying the Prestige S but I liked the 300 nearly as much. For reference, I'm a 3.5 player who prefers an open pattern.

Oz_Rocket 09-24-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGads (Post 6914986)
The 16/19 version of the 315 Speed is a stick not many people seem to like, but every time I try it, it's excellent and gets the job done. Just swings so cleanly, but it's a string sensitive frame.

And for some reason I'm one of those people. I only came back into tennis this year nearly 30 years after having played high level junior comp at school. So I would describe myself as a 4.5-5.0 level trapped in the body of a 3.0-3.5 :)

After hitting with lots of different racquets the smaller headed player's ones demanded too much where ones like the Pure Drives and Extremes just had way too much power and not as much control. The Speed was a real "Goldilocks" racquet for me but it is very string sensitive.

The demo I had was strung with Luxilon ALU Power 125 @55lbs and was fantastic. But the factory Sonic Pro felt completely dead by comparison. Lovely balance but I had real problems generating power and it was awful off centre. After a few months I went with SPPP @ 54lbs and it has made a big difference. Lots more power and more forgiving on off centre shots. But I can see how lots of people wouldn't like it.

beepee1972 10-05-2012 04:05 AM

I must say, it isn't bad. It's strung with a weiss canon poly in the mains and babolat multi as cross, and I kind a like it, especially my one handed backhand! Absolutely effortless, with power en depth.
My forehand on the contrary is too problematic in the current setup. No feeling whatsoever, no difference in feel between a great shot and one that goes in the net. I will replace it with a string I am familiar with, and see how it goes from there.

I can't say it's heavy though, coming from a BLX 6.1 95, it feels a whole lot more manouverable.

So far the speed hasn't convinced me yet (I prefer the BLX blade team or Pacific x-force in testing), but I'm not done yet.

charless 10-05-2012 11:52 AM

My Speed is the 315 18x20 version, weighted at 11.8 - 11.9 oz. No lead tape currently.

I agree this racquet is very string sensitive, but I've found something great that works for me ... Solinco Tour Bite at 17g ... full bed .. 52 lbs ... WOW! :)

Maroon_Tenniskid 10-05-2012 01:36 PM

I play with the 16x19 version and I HATED it the very first time I used it.

I was soooo disappointed because expected so much out of the hype of it when it came out.

However, the next day, I played a whole tournament with it in doubles and did VERY well with it! I was coming from the PDGT and looking for a little more control. The racket was heavier than the PDGT, however it felt much lighter on serves and overheads and I was ripping those like no tomorrow with the Speed. The extended length made it that much better for those shots and took a bit of getting used to for some others, however I really like the racket now.

added a leather grip and the grip feels very very nice. Strings were a pain in the butt to figure out, but found my Ideal set up where they play great until they break.

Really really like this racket after over 1.5 years playing HS and now on campus college tennis! considering getting some more when they go on sale when the new Speeds come out! I may try the 18x20 just to compare and see if I'm missing out.