Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How to mount the racket correctly (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440891)

levy1 09-22-2012 04:13 PM

How to mount the racket correctly

Just saw a post on the frame changing from not being mounted correctly. I have a Eagnas 910, 6 pt mounting system. No instructions so maybe I am doing it wrong. I mount it up and tighten the top and bottom clamp. Then I snug up 2 clamps opposite each, one head and one throat, then the other two. That is it so maybe I can get some pointers on a better way or when to re-tighten.
Thanks

jim e 09-22-2012 05:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpZ7si_J-5s
This shows and explains well.Its at about the 5 min mark.

BTW: Be sure to snug both up one end 1st if they do not move together simultaneously like some machines do, not one on each end like you posted.It will help keep the racquet centerized.

Also be sure that you have the 12 oclock and 6 oclock supports equal distant from the table center when lining up the racquet.That was not covered in the above video.

jim e 09-23-2012 04:23 PM

Levy1 : You just have to know that most here try to help, and some just criticize. Sometimes unfortunately you just have to ignore posts like Torres.

Anyways, I hope the video I posted helped. It shows the proceedure very nice. Although I believe it is not necessary to mount the side arms always first like this video does. but to secure it just snug in the end is important. I typically position the side arms partially snug, then go to the 12 and 6 oclock spots partially snug, then go back and just get them all snug. It really takes very little time.

Big thing to watch for is that the racquet is centerized in the table so the mid point of table to an end support is same distance on each end and that point was not even listed in that video.

levy1 09-23-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim e (Post 6915319)
Levy1 : You just have to know that most here try to help, and some just criticize. Sometimes unfortunately you just have to ignore posts like Torres.

Anyways, I hope the video I posted helped. It shows the proceedure very nice. Although I believe it is not necessary to mount the side arms always first like this video does. but to secure it just snug in the end is important. I typically position the side arms partially snug, then go to the 12 and 6 oclock spots partially snug, then go back and just get them all snug. It really takes very little time.

Big thing to watch for is that the racquet is centerized in the table so the mid point of table to an end support is same distance on each end and that point was not even listed in that video.

Thank you,
So he mounts the top and bottom loose and then tightens the 12 and 6 clamps. That is different. I thought you mount the 12 and 6 then go to the others. Also I snug up the clamps which according the the video he does not. I guess when he starts pulling strings it will sung up?

Irvin 09-24-2012 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by levy1 (Post 6915525)
Thank you,
So he mounts the top and bottom loose and then tightens the 12 and 6 clamps. That is different. I thought you mount the 12 and 6 then go to the others. Also I snug up the clamps which according the the video he does not. I guess when he starts pulling strings it will sung up?

All the mounts should be about the same pressure. I snug up the 6 and 12 o'clock supports first. If you tighten your side supports first you may not be able to tighten your 6 and 12 o'clock supports properly. The side supports are connected to you standards on the top and bottom. If you need to moved your standards in you can't if the side supports are snug. If you need to move your standards out your side supports will no longer be snug. Many time when switching from a smaller to larger frame or vice-a-versa you will need to adjust the top and bottom standard(s.)

On my machine I tighten the side supports on the bottom of the racket first but they hold the frame against the 6 o'clock support. Then I adjust the top support and lastly the upper side supports. But my machine is a little different than most in as much as it has a self centering turntable and the upper and lower supports don't have individual adjustments. Each machine's mounting procedure may be a little different. What you are looking for is to be able to mount an unstrung frame with as little distortion as possible with very little pressure but enough to hold fit fairly firmly.

jim e 09-24-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by levy1 (Post 6915525)
Thank you,

I would not call anything really loose. I believe the video is attempting to let you know not to crank it too tight, that just snug not to distort the racquet when mounting it.I have a six point, but it is a suspension type so the side arms touch top and bottom of frame equally with 2 points on the end of each arm and move together simultaneously.

I typically just secure the side arms rather loose at first,
then do the same for the 12 and 6 positions, then go back to be sure all places are snug only and not pressing to over tighten is all.I use to grab the handle and twist to be sure it really does not have movement, but after a while that is not necessary as you get a feel for the proper snugness.

My machine is very similar mounting to the Star machine in video, as the arms more together, and if overtightened when you go to release the racquet if there is pressure on those arms it is locked and will not release no matter how hard you try to crank on the knobs to open the mounts. This video is attemping to tell you it is not necessary to overtighten is all, really just snug finger tight so those arms do not stay locked when the job is finished.

BTW, I now use those load spacers or what ever they are called especially at the head of racquets as it evens out the stress at the small 12 oclock contact of point machine mount on the racquets. Maybe not a necessity, but since it does seem to even out or spread out the contact point I guess I feel better about it as it seems like a lot of force on those 1st 2 mains and those load spacers gives more surface area.. Anyone else here typically use those???

Irvin 09-24-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim e (Post 6916275)
...My machine is very similar mounting to the Star machine in video, as the arms more together, and if overtightened when you go to release the racquet if there is pressure on those arms it is locked and will not release no matter how hard you try to crank on the knobs to open the mounts. ...

Jim that will work if you have a machine that uses one adjust for the two side supports at the top and the bottom. If there are individual adjustment for each side support it is quite a bit more difficult to get the racket centered between the side supports so it is also centered on the 6 and 12 supports at the same time. It all depend son what type of machine levy1 has. With individual adjustments if the supports are off 1/8" when you center the frame on the top or bottom supports one side support is way too loose while the other way too tight.

dadozen 09-24-2012 11:55 AM

I have a Gamma X6-FC, and I first adjust the top and bottom supports just to keep the racquet centered( the side supports have separate adjustment knobs ), then I go to the side supports, tightening them all and finally come back to the top and bottom supports to make a final adjustment. I always use only the fingers to not overtighten them, but when I read these posts I always wonder if I'm doing it correctly.

I usually don't have problems to release the racquet after the stringjob is done, but sometimes it's hard to release the knobs. Is that a sign that I'm overtightening the supports?

By the way, I have never had any frame distortion problems. I always compare a recently strung frame to a unstrung one and they have the same exact shape.

Irvin 09-24-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen (Post 6916630)
... I usually don't have problems to release the racquet after the stringjob is done, but sometimes it's hard to release the knobs. Is that a sign that I'm overtightening the supports?...

If the knobs are hard to turn to release the the racquet you either had them too tight to begin with or too loose. Either condition will cause this problem. Over tightening on knob will make it hard to turn when you take it off that is easy to understand I think. But what about too loose? If the top or bottom supports are too loose it will cause the racket to shift while it is being strung and push up against the side supports too hard making them hard to turn when you finish.