Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Pros and Cons of Wilson Baiardo and Babolat Star 5 (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440938)

Litespeeds 09-23-2012 09:35 AM

Pros and Cons of Wilson Baiardo and Babolat Star 5
 
If you had to choose one, which would you pick and why? I would love to hear from those who have strung on both machines and tell us what they liked and disliked about each machine. Thanks.

drakulie 09-23-2012 10:11 AM

Only things I like better on star 5 are speed of the pull and release of tension head and the jaws on the mounting arms.

Roger Wawrinka 09-23-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6914920)
Only things I like better on star 5 are speed of the pull and release of tension head and the jaws on the mounting arms.


I was lucky enough to string on a star 5, really great machine. I agree with what Drak says, It pulls very fast and the mounting system is very easy too. I have seen the Baiardo before, but never strung on one. I think the star 5 is nicer, and more clean. The baiardo has too many features that you really do not need, but that's just my opinion.:)

Litespeeds 09-23-2012 06:27 PM

The faster pull speed is good but I heard it is not good for stringing poly because you want to pull it as slow as possible. Also many people have said the Star 5 overshoots the tension by as much as 8lbs before returning back to the set tension. Both are very accurate machines.

Stringing on the Baiardo is more ergonomically friendly as it tilts for the user but when you do the crosses and it tilts even more, the clamps slide downwards and gets in the way. It's definitely more eye candy but you really can't go wrong with either.

I know they use the Baiardo at the US Open and the Star 5 at the French Open. Which other major tournaments are these used exclusively at?

darklore009 09-23-2012 07:04 PM

I strung with these two fortunately, the star 5 is straight forward machine. Have easy mounting system, clamps are great and good tensioner. The wilson baiardo has lots of features. The one thing I like is that machine adjusts to my height and tilts it for me, making it easier to either string the mains and crosses. They are remarkable machines.
To reply to Litespeed, I know that the Wilson baiardo is being used at the us open and Australian open. The babolat star 5 is used at the French open. I think prince neos is at Wimbledon.

thompenator 09-23-2012 11:21 PM

They use the Prince 6000 at Wimbledon.

jazar 09-23-2012 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Litespeeds (Post 6915469)
and the Star 5 at the French Open.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darklore009 (Post 6915522)
The babolat star 5 is used at the French open.

We actually use the Sensor at the French Open.

I own a Star 5 and I like it a lot. It's a very smooth, easy to use machine. I think most of us who string at the French Open would prefer to use it over the Sensor, mainly because it has the Diablo. My one issue with it is the interface, and having to go into the menu to change from lbs to kgs, or to turn on pre-stretch, etc.

I've never used a Baiardo. Having the ergonomic function wouldn't really be something that I'm interested in at the moment, but then again I'm young and leaning over a machine for extended periods of time isn't something that bothers me or that I find uncomfortable.

Wikky 09-24-2012 12:12 AM

I've strung 20 racquet days on both. I have multiple stress fractures in my lower back. On a star 5 i went home and my back hurt. on the baiardo it felt like it had been any other day, back felt great. I also support the baiardo because i found the clamps much more effective and repairs / maintenance where easier to do myself without prior experience or instruction.

BoingTennis 09-24-2012 08:31 PM

Hi guys, I'm currently in the market for a new machine for my pro shop.

Currently I have a Victor C7027 with the Wise Head (I live in Asia). I don't have any major problems with the machine, I just want to upgrade to a better, faster, more reliable, and more accurate machine.

Seems like both the Baiardo and Star 5 are great machines. I think either one would be a great upgrade for me. At this point, the only factor I'm considering is price between them.

Does anyone know how much the Baiardo and Star5 are selling for?

drakulie 09-24-2012 08:33 PM

^^Last I checked a Star 5 is about $3,500, Baiardo is about $6,000. However, you could get a Baiardo (little bit of use) from Wilson for about $4,000.

scotus 09-25-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6917353)
^^Last I checked a Star 5 is about $3,500, Baiardo is about $6,000. However, you could get a Baiardo (little bit of use) from Wilson for about $4,000.

$6000?

Drakulie, do you know whether these high-end machines can be leased?

ericsson 09-25-2012 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoingTennis (Post 6917348)
Hi guys, I'm currently in the market for a new machine for my pro shop.

Currently I have a Victor C7027 with the Wise Head (I live in Asia). I don't have any major problems with the machine, I just want to upgrade to a better, faster, more reliable, and more accurate machine.

Seems like both the Baiardo and Star 5 are great machines. I think either one would be a great upgrade for me. At this point, the only factor I'm considering is price between them.

Does anyone know how much the Baiardo and Star5 are selling for?



Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6917353)
^^Last I checked a Star 5 is about $3,500, Baiardo is about $6,000. However, you could get a Baiardo (little bit of use) from Wilson for about $4,000.

Unfortunately these are US prices, dont think you will get that price in Asia or Europe... ;-)

Star 5 will be around: 6000$
Sensor expert: 11.000$
Yonex ES5: 9000$
Baiardo: 7600$

Irvin 09-25-2012 05:27 AM

as the price of the Star 5 doubled?

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com...at_star_5.html

Centryx 09-25-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6917353)
^^Last I checked a Star 5 is about $3,500, Baiardo is about $6,000. However, you could get a Baiardo (little bit of use) from Wilson for about $4,000.

who do i contact to get one of those Baiardos?

zapvor 09-25-2012 03:20 PM

i have only used star 5 and i think you cant get much better than that. the bairdo looks awesome though i saw 3 of them in nyc

schap02 09-27-2012 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericsson (Post 6917520)
Unfortunately these are US prices, dont think you will get that price in Asia or Europe... ;-)

Star 5 will be around: 6000$
Sensor expert: 11.000$
Yonex ES5: 9000$
Baiardo: 7600$

Maybe we could ship you one from US as "gift" to avoid taxes
:twisted:

ATP100 09-27-2012 08:22 AM

Money no option...Baiardo, you might need some of the features later.

BoingTennis 09-27-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schap02 (Post 6921807)
Maybe we could ship you one from US as "gift" to avoid taxes
:twisted:

That's exactly what I'm going to do. Buy locally in the states and get it shipped to my door using a forwarding service. It's a lot cheaper than buying the machine locally. The only drawback would be the lost of warranty coverage, which I'm not too worried about.

schap02 09-28-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoingTennis (Post 6923189)
That's exactly what I'm going to do. Buy locally in the states and get it shipped to my door using a forwarding service. It's a lot cheaper than buying the machine locally. The only drawback would be the lost of warranty coverage, which I'm not too worried about.

Drak is the whiz - he could probabl help you locate one for the right price - Wilson usually unloads there machines after tournaments are over with, I think it's their subtle way of getting more machines in to shops than simply waiting for shops to purchase at normal price levels...

jim e 09-28-2012 04:57 PM

I know a while back someone posted that the Star 5 has an overshoot problem and that poster was able to measure that with some sophisticated expensive type of scale devise.
This was one of the posts about the problem of star 5:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showp...64&postcount=6

If this is true, it would seem to me the Baiardo should be a more accurate machine.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse