Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Is the L-Tec/JET just a fad? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=440968)

cluckcluck 09-23-2012 05:57 PM

Is the L-Tec/JET just a fad?

As the title says. For a while there, this board would be filled with L-Tec hybrid reviews and JET/Jaycee method questions. Now, not a peep. Is the whole idea/concept dead? Or do players still try/use it?

Up&comer 09-23-2012 06:04 PM

Yep.

10 fads come and gone

cluckcluck 09-23-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up&comer (Post 6915427)
Yep.

I'm not sure what you're "yepping" to.

parasailing 09-23-2012 06:09 PM

Not sure about the JET method but it is not a gimmick at least the string itself. I don't string using the JET method and I still like how Ltec 4S/0S plays as a cross in a hybrid setup with natural gut mains and I have tried many strings.

tvu 09-23-2012 06:12 PM

Maybe people are tired of debating. Either you like it or you don't, and no amount of raving or bashing will change folks from one camp to the other.

filphil 09-23-2012 06:14 PM

My only full bed of poly was strung with the JET method. I can't say much more than that and don't exactly plan on going back to full poly.

cluckcluck 09-23-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvu (Post 6915442)
Maybe people are tired of debating. Either you like it or you don't, and no amount of raving or bashing will change folks from one camp to the other.

This is probably true, I did read a few threads with one poster (Torres) going bananas in hatred for the strings and method. I for one, enjoy the method and strings very much...when I can afford to pay my stringer.

Torres 09-23-2012 07:14 PM

The L-Tec wars were won ages ago. Even the original L-Tec groupies (LA fan etc) and their leader (kiteboard) no longer play with the strings anymore.

pvaudio 09-23-2012 07:27 PM

The stringing method is a stringing method. Nothing more. Whether one likes the strings or not is their preference. I think people realized however that since 99% of stringers will not adopt a new technique just to install a particular string, that it's not worth the price.

levy1 09-23-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parasailing (Post 6915439)
Not sure about the JET method but it is not a gimmick at least the string itself. I don't string using the JET method and I still like how Ltec 4S/0S plays as a cross in a hybrid setup with natural gut mains and I have tried many strings.

Agree, good answer. I string Jet sometimes.

levy1 09-23-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 6915461)
This is probably true, I did read a few threads with one poster (Torres) going bananas in hatred for the strings and method. I for one, enjoy the method and strings very much...when I can afford to pay my stringer.

What you said except I string for myself.

schap02 09-23-2012 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 6915548)
The stringing method is a stringing method. Nothing more. Whether one likes the strings or not is their preference. I think people realized however that since 99% of stringers will not adopt a new technique just to install a particular string, that it's not worth the price.

Agreed.

I've tried the method and not worth the time to explain to clients about the new methods.

Have several samples of L-tec to try, haven't mustered the courage to give them a whirl...is it that they're overpriced? Probably. I know one thing is true, they will not be installed with JET.

parasailing 09-23-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schap02 (Post 6915619)
Agreed.

I've tried the method and not worth the time to explain to clients about the new methods.

Have several samples of L-tec to try, haven't mustered the courage to give them a whirl...is it that they're overpriced? Probably. I know one thing is true, they will not be installed with JET.

I think it's the price that gets people but for me, it plays pretty good. For me since I don't enjoy restringing that much, it's the right string for me given the durability is higher than all the others I have tried.

Up&comer 09-24-2012 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 6915431)
I'm not sure what you're "yepping" to.

The title. Was it just a fad? Yes. It was a string and stringing technique that claimed if you don't string it exactly how we tell you, you won't get the best playability.

GlenK 09-24-2012 04:01 AM

I tried the 4S as a cross and didn't like it. Did come away using the JET method though. Just like the way the string bed feels..

cluckcluck 09-24-2012 08:23 AM

So it appears that some like the string (not necessarily the method) and some don't. That could be said about every string on the market. That means, it's "just another poly"?

arche3 09-24-2012 08:37 AM

I still use it as a cross. Either 0s. Or 4s.
My favorite poly. Had to use gut mains to keep my arm healthy. But I really like the string.
I am going to do a review vs. Lux 4g 16 as a cross thought. I just picked upna set of 4g.
Ltec is my favorite full poly string job.

DonBot 09-25-2012 11:49 AM

I tried a few set ups with it and it is ok....nothing that other way cheaper polys on the market can't accomplish...I think it does hold tension fairly well, but playbility is mediocre during the whole encounter. I had it strung in the high 50s so take my opinion for what it's worth given the low low tensions they recommend.

drakulie 09-25-2012 12:09 PM

The JET method simply doesn't work as advertised. Period. It's not going to make one a better player, and it doesn't hold tension as well as claimed, so why bother going thru the extra trouble to string it with this method?

can't comment on strings.

Boricua 09-25-2012 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6918662)
The JET method simply doesn't work as advertised. Period. It's not going to make one a better player, and it doesn't hold tension as well as claimed, so why bother going thru the extra trouble to string it with this method?

can't comment on strings.

You should try them and comment.
In a full job of LTEC 5S in a stiff racket, one should go 44 mains and 48 crosses if not using the JET method. (That I was told by a professional stringer that knows the strings and method-JY.)
Im going to give it a shot and compare side by side this LTEC 5S with B5E at that same tension in a APD GT. Could be a waste of money but who knows.