Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   My $20 Ball Machine (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441060)

JackB1 09-24-2012 02:49 PM

My $20 Ball Machine

This is a good alternative to the "Tennis Twist" or having someone underhand toss you balls to hit...

I bought a "baseball trainer/pitchback from Target for $20.

What I do is set it up an a slight angle on the service line, grab a bucket of balls and I stand on the baseline about 20 feet away and I throw balls at the rebounder and then hit them after one bounce. Its exactly like someone tossing them underhand to you. After a while you get good at hitting the rebounder in the right spot to give you a nice bounce back. I was surprised at how well it worked. Much better than hitting against a wall! I am using it to practice my 2HBH and I hit about 150 backhands tonite in about an hour and got a good workout.

Next time I'll try and take some video to better show how this works.

edit: I had to tilt the trainer a little more upwards to get the right bounce angle, so I just stuck a box under the bottom bar to raise it up about 1 foot.

red rook 09-24-2012 02:57 PM

I think I'd save up for a silent partner...

zapvor 09-24-2012 05:03 PM

my ball machine is free. i just meet up and hit with my buddies:)

JackB1 09-24-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zapvor (Post 6917015)
my ball machine is free. i just meet up and hit with my buddies:)

I can do that too :-)

Its just sometimes you want to work on technique and want a slow feed over and over. I just thought it was a good idea.

db10s 09-24-2012 05:17 PM

This thread should be moved.

zapvor 09-24-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 6917027)

Its just sometimes you want to work on technique and want a slow feed over and over. I just thought it was a good idea.

oh cool. i am already a 5.5 so i dont need practice

Ronaldo 09-24-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 6916862)
This is a good alternative to the "Tennis Twist" or having some you underhand toss you balls to hit...

What I do is set it up an a slight angle on the service line, grab a bucket of balls and I stand on the baseline about 20 feet away and I throw balls at the rebounder and then hit them after one bounce. Its exactly like someone tossing them underhand to you. After a while you get good at hitting the rebounder in the right spot to give you a nice bounce back. I was surprised at how well it worked. Much better than hitting against a wall! I am using it to practice my 2HBH and I hit about 150 backhands tonite in about an hour and got a good workout.

edit: I had to tilt the trainer a little more upwards to get the right bounce angle, so I just stuck a box under the bottom bar to raise it up about 1 foot.

You cannot hit a groundstroke to the rebounder like a wall and keep the ball going?

JackB1 09-24-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 6917059)
You cannot hit a groundstroke to the rebounder like a wall and keep the ball going?

sure you can hit against a wall, but I prefer to hit on a court from the baseline over a real net. Hitting a wall doesn't allow you to see the trajectory of the ball or see the net clearance. Not nearly the same thing.

Ronaldo 09-24-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 6917071)
sure you can hit against a wall, but I prefer to hit on a court from the baseline over a real net. Hitting a wall doesn't allow you to see the trajectory of the ball or see the net clearance. Not nearly the same thing.

No, can you hit a groundstroke across the net to the rebounder and keep a rally going?

hrstrat57 09-24-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 6916862)
This is a good alternative to the "Tennis Twist" or having some you underhand toss you balls to hit...

Hmmm, interesting.

JackB1 09-24-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 6917081)
No, can you hit a groundstroke across the net to the rebounder and keep a rally going?

Oh now I see what you mean...
Yes, if I could if I hit a 4' x 3' rectangle over and over from the baseline, I suppose I could. But I don't think this thing would hold up very long to hard hit groundstrokes. Its pretty cheap and lightweight.

Have you ever tried hitting a rebounder on the court like you describe? I would imagine its not easy.

schap02 09-24-2012 06:36 PM

Nice post.
Kind of funny
Useful

JackB1 09-24-2012 06:45 PM

this is the rebound net I got:

http://www.amazon.com/3-Way-Fielder-..._sim_sbs_sg_20

Also, I had to get something small enough to fit in my car

roundiesee 09-24-2012 07:13 PM

Thanks Jack for letting us know; some of us may decide to try it out, :)

SVP 09-25-2012 08:25 AM

Thanks Jack for a creative and low-cost alternative.

Boricua 09-25-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackB1 (Post 6917027)

It is a good idea, and cheap. Post a video.:)

You throw the ball to the net, it rebounds in your direction and you hit the ball? Isnt it a bit confusing to throw the ball to then get a good grip on the handle of the racket?

sureshs 09-25-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boricua (Post 6918392)

You throw the ball to the net, it rebounds in your direction and you hit the ball? Isnt it a bit confusing to throw the ball to then get a good grip on the handle of the racket?

That is what I was about to ask. Too much mental pressure to get ready.

JackB1 09-25-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boricua (Post 6918392)

Not at all. You have plenty of time between the toss and the hit.

pmata814 09-25-2012 04:05 PM

What about the throwing arm shoulder? Doesn't it get tired?

JackB1 09-25-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmata814 (Post 6919023)
What about the throwing arm shoulder? Doesn't it get tired?

No. You're just easily tossing a tennis ball about 20 feet. What's tiring is hitting 150 backhands.:-)