Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Pro Set's: Opinion? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441066)

Fuji 09-24-2012 04:58 PM

Pro Set's: Opinion?

Hey all, played in an "non sanctioned" Open tournament this weekend, and due to time constraints we played 1 set matches, first to 8 and tie breaks at 7-7. This was the first time I've played a match in setting such as these (and for those wondering, I lost miserably in the quarters, 8-0 LOL! At least it was to the eventual champ!) I had a really tough time adjusting to playing a single set, yet alone one to 8.

Is this a common for some of you folks? Mostly I play best of 3, 6 games a set. I definitely look forward to trying it again, but it just seemed really different. Pretty much everyone else there were echoing my thoughts of not having played this style before.

If you have played this way, do you prefer it over standard matches? If so, why?

Thanks all!

-Fuji

KoaUka 09-24-2012 05:20 PM

A lot of junior tournaments are using this format in the interest of saving time. Thing is, you can't start off slow. Well technically you can, but it's harder to come back as compared to coming back from 1 set down.

We play pro-set doubles for fun because plenty people stay waiting and it makes for longer playing time. For actual tournaments though, I prefer the best of 3 format.

Angle Queen 09-24-2012 06:53 PM

I hate it, Fuji. At least for a USTA or tournament setting. We play them in our ladies weekday league...but only because the singles players are allowed to "double" up and play doubles too (3 lines of pro-set singles, followed by 4 lines of pro-set -- to 10 -- doubles).

But I hate it. Just like no-ad. Bah!

IA-SteveB 09-24-2012 07:11 PM

I wouldn't mind it. I am a much better first quarter player than fourth quarter. Start out fast and get it done.

goober 09-25-2012 07:44 AM

I personally hate it. You are paying a lot of money to play in a tournament. Most run $30-50+ and you are only getting a pro set? I am not signing up for that.

LuckyR 09-25-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuji (Post 6916949)
Hey all, played in an "non sanctioned" Open tournament this weekend, and due to time constraints we played 1 set matches, first to 8 and tie breaks at 7-7. This was the first time I've played a match in setting such as these (and for those wondering, I lost miserably in the quarters, 8-0 LOL! At least it was to the eventual champ!) I had a really tough time adjusting to playing a single set, yet alone one to 8.

Is this a common for some of you folks? Mostly I play best of 3, 6 games a set. I definitely look forward to trying it again, but it just seemed really different. Pretty much everyone else there were echoing my thoughts of not having played this style before.

If you have played this way, do you prefer it over standard matches? If so, why?

Thanks all!

-Fuji

The format will do a good job of figuring out who the better player is that day, that is, it will likely not change the outcome of the matches. But half of the paying customers will be eliminated in the first round and would usually like to play a bit more tennis for their entrance fee, so it is a big downer for them.

For those who are playing both singles and doubles (very few in my experience) it will be a positive.

NLBwell 09-25-2012 02:19 PM

In high school we played 10 game pro sets with a tiebreaker at 10-all. It does make the amount of time a match takes somewhat more predictable. It also seems more fair than using a 10 point tiebreaker instead of an entire 3rd set. An 8 game pro set is too short.
If time is an issue, instead of a 10point tiebreak in place of a 3rd set, I"d like to see the third set start at 4-4 and play out the 3rd set just like the other two sets from that point on.

dizzlmcwizzl 09-25-2012 02:57 PM

The only time we see that around here is at sectionals .... when the weather turns bad.

Essentially if it rains and we need to go indoors for an entire day they will play 8 game pro-sets and then use some formula to turn those into full match scores. Seems odd that the only time you see it is during the most important adult USTA event short of Nationals.

BHiC 09-26-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoaUka (Post 6916971)
A lot of junior tournaments are using this format in the interest of saving time. Thing is, you can't start off slow. Well technically you can, but it's harder to come back as compared to coming back from 1 set down.

We play pro-set doubles for fun because plenty people stay waiting and it makes for longer playing time. For actual tournaments though, I prefer the best of 3 format.

Not in singles, but most junior tournaments where I am do use this format for doubles. I agree with you though, I wish everything would be a full best 2 out of 3 sets.

Sakkijarvi 09-27-2012 10:45 AM

Our high school girls played a lot of these pro sets, mainly because all the money went to the multi-million dollar football field and their wasn't an extra $75 grand around to light the courts.

tenniscasey 09-27-2012 01:22 PM

Pro sets are awful.

Might as well just call the match what it is: a one-set match, and play as normal with a tiebreaker at 6-all. Absolutely nothing is gained by playing to a random number like 8 or 10.

floridatennisdude 09-27-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenniscasey (Post 6922761)
Pro sets are awful.

Might as well just call the match what it is: a one-set match, and play as normal with a tiebreaker at 6-all. Absolutely nothing is gained by playing to a random number like 8 or 10.

I wouldn't want to play a singles pro set in a meaningful match.

However, the college format of 3 doubles lines playing pro sets is pretty cool. Team that wins 2 lines gets a point and they all finish in roughly an hour. Gets pretty exciting.