Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   The Feds string setup (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441156)

Nickac 09-25-2012 03:23 PM

The Feds string setup

Why does he set it up this way
Gut in the mains and alu power rough in crosses
Why not all gut?
Why not the other way around?

bugeyed 09-25-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickac (Post 6918946)
Why not all gut?

Gut in the crosses doesn't make any sense at all!

k

Say Chi Sin Lo 09-25-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickac (Post 6918946)
Why not all gut?

Because he doesn't care what you think he should do.

Nickac 09-25-2012 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugeyed (Post 6918951)
Gut in the crosses doesn't make any sense at all!

k

Explain please

drakulie 09-25-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickac (Post 6918978)
Explain please

Nick, putting gut in the mains is the way to go. I'll explain:

the performance you get from your string bed comes primarily from the mains. The crosses sort of act like a suspension system. So, putting the gut in the mains, you are getting power, spin, control, comfort, and putting the poly in the crosses stiffens up the string bed a little adding to the control and spin.

If you wanted to do it the other way around ( poly mains/gut crosses), you are sort of waisitng a set of gut, because any less expensive multi will do the same thing, which is to soften the string bed.

bugeyed 09-25-2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickac (Post 6918978)
Explain please

The mains provide for most of the feel & power of a racquet. Putting gut in the crosses is a waste of money. If you are spending the money for gut, use it in the mains where it makes a difference.

k

Nickac 09-25-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6918999)

the performance you get from your string bed comes primarily from the mains. The crosses sort of act like a suspension system. So, putting the gut in the mains, you are getting power, spin, control, comfort, and putting the poly in the crosses stiffens up the string bed a little adding to the control and spin.

If you wanted to do it the other way around ( poly mains/gut crosses), you are sort of waisitng a set of gut, because any less expensive multi will do the same thing, which is to soften the string bed.

So you're saying by putting the poly in the crosses are actually increasing control and spin versus just doing a full set of gut?

Hotrocks 09-25-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6918999)

Drakulie- Is spot on!!! The power, comfort and control is unequaled. But pick a poly that has the best tension resilience, Weiss Canon or Signum Pro, as the gut will outlast the other. Mosuito bite, Scorpion, S/P- Thundedrstorm are great contenders. But....These are the poly's I have tried, we all differ with the feel we have.

heartattack 09-25-2012 05:26 PM

synthetic main and poly cross are good also!

UCSF2012 09-25-2012 05:26 PM

Poly mains is more steady. I hook fewer attack shots wide. Fewer 2nd serves getting away from me. Just use cheap gut in the crosses, like Mamba or Titan. This setup plays well long. When the poly dies, the gut makes up for it. No real loss in power, little loss in placement

Gut mains is a shade more spinny but a shade more erratic. When poly dies, it gets really erratic. Much more spinny, but lots of hooking the ball wide.

UCSF2012 09-25-2012 05:29 PM

With poly mains, multi crosses, it plays very steady with a good amount of spin. Power drops off significantly compared to gut crosses. Be prepared to swing to the moon.

parasailing 09-27-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotrocks (Post 6919078)
Drakulie- Is spot on!!! The power, comfort and control is unequaled. But pick a poly that has the best tension resilience, Weiss Canon or Signum Pro, as the gut will outlast the other. Mosuito bite, Scorpion, S/P- Thundedrstorm are great contenders. But....These are the poly's I have tried, we all differ with the feel we have.

Don't forget Ltec 4S or 0S as well.

whbd4life 09-28-2012 05:23 AM

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/lear...OFreporter.php

The string friction ratio of the strings and the amazing feel gut provides is the only reason Federer does it this way. This link will explain how string friction ratio affects your shot.

bdinpgh 10-02-2012 10:16 AM

Anyone have any idea what tensions Mr. Federer uses on his gut mains and poly crosses ??

Dreamcastin 10-03-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdinpgh (Post 6931525)
Anyone have any idea what tensions Mr. Federer uses on his gut mains and poly crosses ??

mid to high 40s, usually the gut a couple pounds higher than the poly.

Vcore89 10-03-2012 01:56 AM

Fed's setup varies in regards to weather conditions. Tighter in the colder months. 44 mains and 46 crosses mainly; up to 52 pounds. Always lower on the mains and higher on the crosses.

Vcore89 10-03-2012 01:57 AM

Just fyi, Rafa on the other hand has always stuck with 55 lbs.

Bk_Mais 10-03-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heartattack (Post 6919138)
synthetic main and poly cross are good also!

So, whats the difference between going syn/main - poly/cross & poly/main - syn/cross ?

McLovin 10-03-2012 03:37 AM

I truly believe what drakulie said to be 100% spot-on, and it is how I string my frames, however, anyone thinking of a poly hybrid should do the following:
- choose your strings (gut/poly or multi/poly)
- choose your tension
- string two identical racquets at the same time, one with the poly in the cross, one with it in the mains.
- head out to the courts and attempt a 'blind taste test', where you hit w/ one, then switch to the other, trying to NOT look at the strings (I know, very hard to do).
If you like poly in the mains, go with it. If you like poly in the cross, go with that.

Once you've chosen where you want the poly, possibly try the same setup but swap the other string (e.g., if you used multi, try gut). If you notice a difference, and like one better than the other, then go with it.

Effectively, don't take our word for it, experience it for yourself. Everyone is different.

bert96 10-03-2012 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vcore89 (Post 6932774)
Fed's setup varies in regards to weather conditions. Tighter in the colder months. 44 mains and 46 crosses mainly; up to 52 pounds. Always lower on the mains and higher on the crosses.

Thats not his tension!

His tension is usually right around 22 kg and he always strings his crosses 1,5 kg looser than his mains