Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Tourna Grip users out there? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441168)

Francis27 09-25-2012 05:01 PM

Tourna Grip users out there?

Is the Tourna Grip Overgrips good? i just ordered the blue XL Overgrip are they absorbent, comfortable and have a nice feel? can someone who uses or knows alot about this overgrip tell me more about :)? thanks

darklore009 09-25-2012 05:08 PM

I tried the Tourna tack. I like it. Its absorb the sweat well. The original one gave me blisters

fusion91 09-25-2012 06:44 PM

I've found Tourna Grip to be fantastic overgrip. They are not very tacky, but they perform their best when you start sweating and the sweat starts running into your hands and grip. They don't last very long for me though; 1-2 long sets before it starts fraying/peeling. But I just flip over it and re-wrap using the other side of the overgrip -- good for another set or long hitting session.

There's a reason why so many pros have used this overgrip for a long time.

I've since been using Solinco Heaven overgrip because I think it improves on Tourna Grip in almost every way. They both have similar feel (non-tacky, yet slip resistant), but Solinco Heaven lasts a bit longer, is slightly thicker, and is just as absorbent.

Roger Wawrinka 09-25-2012 08:01 PM

I really like tourna grip, especially if you do a flat wrap when gripping.

jonestim 09-25-2012 10:33 PM

It depends on the amount of sweat on your hands. I used them on vacation in a very humid place and I was sweating a bunch - I loved them and disliked my go-to Gamma Supreme.

Playing at home in the high desert where there is little humidity and little sweat on my hands they suck. Here I love the Gamma Supreme.

mimo 10-06-2012 10:36 PM

do people tend to wrap it with the tacky side out or the softer side out? it seems the tacky side offers better grip but maybe less absorption. just curious to get some feedback.

Greg G 10-06-2012 10:41 PM

Tried using Tourna grip from the previous Supergrap. Got a blister in under an hour :P

Andyroo10567 10-06-2012 10:53 PM

For me, I got really curious why so much people liked this OG. As of now, my thoughts are still the same. Why do people like it? Not hating on the OG or anything but its just got me questioning a lot.

fusion91 10-06-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mimo (Post 6940140)
do people tend to wrap it with the tacky side out or the softer side out? it seems the tacky side offers better grip but maybe less absorption. just curious to get some feedback.

When you say "tacky side", are you referring to the side that isn't covered with a plastic protector when new? Because I would hardly call either side of Tourna Grip tacky when new, especially when compared to actual tacky OGs like Wilson Pro or Yonex Supergrap. But to answer your question, I start with the "softer side" (the side with the plastic protector) first, then flip it over and use the other side for practice or other non-match situations.

I've found the differences in sweat absorption on either side to be marginal. Just wipe it down with a towel every once in a while between points.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyroo10567 (Post 6940157)
For me, I got really curious why so much people liked this OG. As of now, my thoughts are still the same. Why do people like it? Not hating on the OG or anything but its just got me questioning a lot.

Like jonestim said, it really depends on how much you sweat. I like this grip because of how it feels before and especially after I start sweating a lot. It gave my hands a secure grip every time. I've never had to worry about my grip slipping late in a match when the tackiness -- and thus, usefulness -- of other grips would have started to wear out.

I've never gotten any blisters from all my years using Tourna Grip, but I admit that I've developed a few very shallow calluses on my palm and fingers.

GlenK 10-07-2012 03:12 AM

I put the covered side against the handle when wrapping. Love the feel of TG and don't even try anything else anymore. Just kept coming back to TG so just sticking with it...

Geology_Rocks! 10-07-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Wawrinka (Post 6919389)
I really like tourna grip, especially if you do a flat wrap when gripping.

What do you mean with flat wrap?

Tennisguy3000 10-07-2012 10:37 AM

I believe he means non overlapping... grip wrapped edge to edge.

I'm on my first roll of TG, so far so good ;-)

Andyroo10567 10-07-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fusion91 (Post 6940200)
When you say "tacky side", are you referring to the side that isn't covered with a plastic protector when new? Because I would hardly call either side of Tourna Grip tacky when new, especially when compared to actual tacky OGs like Wilson Pro or Yonex Supergrap. But to answer your question, I start with the "softer side" (the side with the plastic protector) first, then flip it over and use the other side for practice or other non-match situations.

I've found the differences in sweat absorption on either side to be marginal. Just wipe it down with a towel every once in a while between points.

Like jonestim said, it really depends on how much you sweat. I like this grip because of how it feels before and especially after I start sweating a lot. It gave my hands a secure grip every time. I've never had to worry about my grip slipping late in a match when the tackiness -- and thus, usefulness -- of other grips would have started to wear out.

I've never gotten any blisters from all my years using Tourna Grip, but I admit that I've developed a few very shallow calluses on my palm and fingers.

Oh. Ok that makes sense, i guess i don't really sweat too much while hitting. So I'm guessing Tourna grip users will never use Pro OG? <-- Turns to paper after too much usage.... :)

Roger Wawrinka 10-07-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geology_Rocks! (Post 6940777)
What do you mean with flat wrap?

Pretty much what Tennisguy3000 said. If you use a leather grip or some other replacement grip, and you wrap tourna grip (or any overgrip for that matter) with the same alignment as the replacement grip, that is called a flat wrap.

Geology_Rocks! 10-07-2012 03:35 PM

Got it, thanks for the explanation.

Roger Wawrinka 10-08-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geology_Rocks! (Post 6941411)
Got it, thanks for the explanation.

No problem. I feel it works best if it's a leather grip under tourna grip.

corbind 10-08-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Francis27 (Post 6919095)
Is the Tourna Grip Overgrips good? i just ordered the blue XL Overgrip are they absorbent, comfortable and have a nice feel? can someone who uses or knows alot about this overgrip tell me more about :)? thanks

I think this is one grip that's almost mandatory to try yourself no matter where you live. Speaking of which, where you live is it typically humid and hot? If so the Original Tournagrip is a glorious overgrip.

SUMMER: In hot/humid weather Tourna absorbs sweat better than any of the 20+ grips I've tried and is less slippery than any other. It's the only grip I use in the summer months.

SPRING, FALL, & WINTER: Tourna can be too rough and cause blisters. In those season I typically switch to other overgrips that are softer since sweating profusely is not typical. If you say play in a place that has low humidity and heat Tourna won't be your go to grip. But if you're in swampy weather it's the only grip I've found that works well.

sansaephanh 10-08-2012 11:00 PM

Love tourna, but needed something more cost effective. I'm still running out of super grap, but have decided that I didn't like it after 10 OGs.

Next up is Solinco Heaven. Heard its a thicker tourna grip. Better durability and a slightly softer feel. I'm probably going reel soon.

Karstic 10-09-2012 09:06 AM

The other over grips I had been trying were too tacky. When I shifted my grip between shots they would not allow the racket to slide around unless I completely released the handle, making it hard to find the new grip. The Tourna grip allows me to slide the grip around rather than break contact. This is why I prefer them.

May have to give the Solinco ones a try, though if they are thicker, that's probably a drawback.

NTRPolice 10-09-2012 09:12 AM

By the reel from tenniswarehouse!

At 1$ a grip its pretty cheap. Look at it this way... if you golf, you can go through $5 worth of balls in a round easy, even if you lose none of them because the good balls get cut up really easy.

If you have 2 rackets and regrip them every time you play and open a new can of balls too, its still only $5 a day for tennis.

$5 a day for tennis seems like a steal when golf is $50+ and takes up your whole day.

I buy 3 reels of tournagrip at a time and I change them once every 10-15 sets which is about once a week for me.

By "3 reels" I mean "9 reels". They have the 3 pack, and I buy 3 of those 3 packs.