Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Longest Lasting Non-Gut Control... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441179)

Winners or Errors 09-25-2012 06:45 PM

Longest Lasting Non-Gut Control...

I really want to like synthetic gut, but as I play the string more and more - PSGO, OGSM - I find that the control and feel go south a little more than half way through the life of the string. Apparently, I'm more sensitive to it now than I was years ago.

It's more noticeable than poly, because most poly strings I play with, even in hybrid form, don't have a drop off in control as they lose their resiliency.

Not to belabor the point too long, is there something out there, ideally a synthetic gut I haven't played yet, that will give me the tension maintenance and crisp feel of the synthetics mentioned above, with life that lasts until breaking? I know natural gut may do that, but I'd rather cut out my synthetic than shell out for the real thing.

For the record, I hate the feel of PSGD - they ruined that string with the kevlar (pretty sure that's what the Duraflex is...), and I'm trying to avoid the "plasticky" feel of most polys.

sansaephanh 09-25-2012 07:05 PM

yeah... my multi is dead after like 5 good hours and is far from popping. I'm thinking i should go poly again cause i usually get around 6-12 hours of really good playability...

Hi I'm Ray 09-25-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winners or Errors (Post 6919242)
I really want to like synthetic gut, but as I play the string more and more - PSGO, OGSM - I find that the control and feel go south a little more than half way through the life of the string. Apparently, I'm more sensitive to it now than I was years ago.

It's more noticeable than poly, because most poly strings I play with, even in hybrid form, don't have a drop off in control as they lose their resiliency.

Not to belabor the point too long, is there something out there, ideally a synthetic gut I haven't played yet, that will give me the tension maintenance and crisp feel of the synthetics mentioned above, with life that lasts until breaking? I know natural gut may do that, but I'd rather cut out my synthetic than shell out for the real thing.

For the record, I hate the feel of PSGD - they ruined that string with the kevlar (pretty sure that's what the Duraflex is...), and I'm trying to avoid the "plasticky" feel of most polys.

What gauge syn gut are you using? For plain syn gut, try Forten Sweet. It maintains tension much better than OGSM imo. While poly may play and feel fine, if not better when it loses tension, syn gut usually feels and plays worse as the tension drops. For a full bed of syn gut I usually string a little higher to offset the tension loss.

MikeHitsHard93 09-25-2012 07:39 PM

Prince Lightning XX 16 has lasted quite a while for me (going on about 12 hours of play time for me now) and I know someone that had it in his racket for 2 years...he hit with lots of topspin with his rebel team. It maintains tension and has good control for a multi.

Valjean 09-26-2012 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winners or Errors (Post 6919242)

1. When a string dies before it breaks, the gauge or string is too thick/strong for your play. When you decide on a thinner gauge, and the two coincide more, you might still feel you need more play out of your string due to earlier breakage then. But at least it should help defeat the annoyance you're experiencing now.

2. If PSGD annoys you, there is still Prince's Original Synthetic Gut to go back to.

3. You might find you like Babolat's N.vy, which is what's known as a premium synthetic gut. This is when one should feel remorse that Gosen's Jim Courier string is no longer available...

nalvarado 09-26-2012 03:13 AM

Rip Control?

Winners or Errors 09-26-2012 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valjean (Post 6919760)
1. When a string dies before it breaks, the gauge or string is too thick/strong for your play. When you decide on a thinner gauge, and the two coincide more, you might still feel you need more play out of your string due to earlier breakage then. But at least it should help defeat the annoyance you're experiencing now.

2. If PSGD annoys you, there is still Prince's Original Synthetic Gut to go back to.

3. You might find you like Babolat's N.vy, which is what's known as a premium synthetic gut. This is when one should feel remorse that Gosen's Jim Courier string is no longer available...

Thanks for point 1. It is 16 gauge string I'm having the problem with. I may have to return to 17 gauge, though I like the lower power and firmer feel of the 16. Food for thought, at least.

Point 2 - I'm using PSGO - it's one of the strings I'm trying to replace.

Point 3 - preaching to the choir there. I liked that string. Sad that Gosen doesn't make it anymore. I may indeed experiment with more premium synthetic guts...

KenC 09-26-2012 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nalvarado (Post 6919778)
Rip Control?

I break strings very often, but Rip Control 16 was the only string I ever cut out before it broke. In fact when I tried it I was on a roll and breaking TF XR1 like every 4 hours, and tried RC 16 for its durability. I didn't like the way it played but decided to at least play with it until it broke (thinking it would be within hours) and probably put in more than 10 hours with it before I gave up got out the scissors. The strings still seemed new when I cut them out, IIRC.

nalvarado 09-26-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenC (Post 6919828)
I break strings very often, but Rip Control 16 was the only string I ever cut out before it broke. In fact when I tried it I was on a roll and breaking TF XR1 like every 4 hours, and tried RC 16 for its durability. I didn't like the way it played but decided to at least play with it until it broke (thinking it would be within hours) and probably put in more than 10 hours with it before I gave up got out the scissors. The strings still seemed new when I cut them out, IIRC.

Rip Control has been the only string I have broken during a match, during warm up no less. Made be bust out the prestige as I got comfortable carrying one serious racquet and a few racquets specifically for messing around as Rip refused to break. OP give it a try.

ArliHawk 09-26-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenC (Post 6919828)

RIP Control 17 feels like an entirely different string. I love it in my APDGT, but cannot stand the 16. It might be worth a try, and it's still durable in 17.

Winners or Errors 09-26-2012 06:14 PM

I've looked into RIP Control, but never bought any. From what I'm seeing, it has a very muted feel. I'm looking for crisp. That's why I like synthetic gut more than poly. It's also why I've never bothered with Forten Sweet, which is supposed to be a soft synthetic gut.

keithfival 09-26-2012 06:56 PM

If you've never tried PSGD 17 (as opposed to 16) you might try it. I liked it much better than the 16g. Good control and I don't remember it going bad.

MikeHitsHard93 09-26-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winners or Errors (Post 6919823)
Thanks for point 1. It is 16 gauge string I'm having the problem with. I may have to return to 17 gauge, though I like the lower power and firmer feel of the 16. Food for thought, at least.

Point 2 - I'm using PSGO - it's one of the strings I'm trying to replace.

Point 3 - preaching to the choir there. I liked that string. Sad that Gosen doesn't make it anymore. I may indeed experiment with more premium synthetic guts...

I find that N.Vy doesn't hold tension very well. Gets very elastic after about 6-8 hours of play. If you break string sooner than that though, then its great. Good control and actually good spin in my opinion. Just doesn't last for me.

MikeHitsHard93 09-26-2012 07:20 PM

Sorry I think I just quoted the wrong person :oops:

Winners or Errors 09-27-2012 03:06 PM

That's OK. Thanks for the feedback on N.Vy, as that's exactly the problem I have with PSGO and OGSM. One less string to try.

I don't need strings I can't break. I need strings that will perform until I break them. Ideally, that'd be about 10-15 hours of court time.

fortun8son 09-27-2012 06:00 PM

Red Alert seems to do well until several strings snap at once.
I only string it for hard hitters, though, so I've had little feedback about death before breakage.

MikeHitsHard93 09-27-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winners or Errors (Post 6923059)
That's OK. Thanks for the feedback on N.Vy, as that's exactly the problem I have with PSGO and OGSM. One less string to try.

I don't need strings I can't break. I need strings that will perform until I break them. Ideally, that'd be about 10-15 hours of court time.

You're welcome! I honestly haven't gone wrong with a prince synthetic yet... PSGD, POSG, Lightning XX. All good and last long with a crisp feel.

I want to use poly because it looks sweet and has sweet spin, but these strings do just about the same for me when I string them tight and they have about the same sweet spot as using poly imo.

ricki 10-03-2012 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winners or Errors (Post 6923059)

Maybe try Wilson Red Alert. I strung it up for my GF and it seems that it holds tension much better than PSGDF that she has been using for long time - psgdf started to move all around much more, red alert moves only by a little