Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Tennis racquet gadgets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441181)

The Dark Knight 09-25-2012 07:49 PM

Tennis racquet gadgets

Anyone try out any weird or new tennis racquet gadgets ?

Just found this online. Does anyone know of its any good?

Www.gripyou.com

Fuji 09-25-2012 07:55 PM

Doesn't seem that useful to me. Maybe I just am consistent with where I put my hand on my grip?

-Fuji

bugeyed 09-25-2012 08:11 PM

None of their claims make sense. They talk like it will fix every aspect of your game. Run away!

k

Ronaldo 09-25-2012 09:00 PM

There was a website that sold western grips. A Wonder Wedge

Andyroo10567 09-25-2012 11:15 PM

Ridiculous. I think they should have spent more time thinking of something actually useful to the majority of players instead of making decorations for the racquet. Yes. Decorations.

NickJ 09-26-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyroo10567 (Post 6919623)
Ridiculous. I think they should have spent more time thinking of something actually useful to the majority of players instead of making decorations for the racquet. Yes. Decorations.

Absolutely.

NickJ 09-26-2012 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 6919387)

I invented the forehand. Everyone who uses one must pay me 5p everytime they hit one.

Ronaldo 09-26-2012 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickJ (Post 6919673)
I invented the forehand. Everyone who uses one must pay me 5p everytime they hit one.

Eye see the direction you are headed, http://www.vitalsport.hu/wp-content/...ey_arrow-1.jpg

The Dark Knight 09-26-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 6919387)

Yup ....it's sort of a copy and it seems better in some ways and inferior in others.

The " gripyou" creates a shelf for your index finger to rest on the same as the wonder wedge. This is really cool and does work.

In the sense the gripyou seems better as the wonder wedge runs down the whole length of the grip.

On the other hand the wonder wedge also allows you to create that "shelf" for

Your semi western as well.

However the wonder wedge completely ruins an Eastern forehand grip .

What seems interesting about the gripyou to me is the butt cap......that looks really cool and I cannot wait to try it:

Here's a pic of the wonder wedge......I just use five pieces of double sided mounting tape so there's no need to buy the wonder wedge.

Check out the pic of the wonder wedge:

tennismonkey 09-26-2012 07:29 AM

this reminds me of john candy in planes, trains and automobiles when he's selling shower curtain rings to teenagers.

Ronaldo 09-26-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennismonkey (Post 6920001)
this reminds me of john candy in planes, trains and automobiles when he's selling shower curtain rings to teenagers.

This is Rafa's Secret Weapon, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_unm4...eature=related

The Dark Knight 09-26-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 6920036)

Lol..... But what struck me as cool was the butt cap......it looks really cool.

Seems like you can grip the racquet better and add more power , feel etc etc.

I bought it and I am waiting for it. I'll let you know if it's b.s or not.

The Dark Knight 09-26-2012 10:06 AM

Dont try this at home:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiteboard (Post 5846969)
I would like to copy right the trade name: spin a lings, spin a ling, and smack a ling. See this pic? I obtained the most amount of spin ever with these.

spin a ling
When these are placed at every cross in the hitting area, the spin is insane, often going over the opponent's head. When you place drinking straws, one inside another, and use them as impact absorbers, the sound is loud. The smack a ling. How to get the most spin with tennis string job, most spin with an 18 x 20, most spin spaghetti string job.

The Dark Knight 09-26-2012 06:04 PM

The babolat play and connect tennis racquet.

Not really sure how this works . But apparently there is a computer chip in the handle that transmits your stroke s to a computer for analysis :

NickJ 09-27-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronaldo (Post 6919830)
Eye see the direction you are headed, http://www.vitalsport.hu/wp-content/...ey_arrow-1.jpg

Exactamundo!

NickJ 09-27-2012 12:24 AM

Oh, by the way, I also invented the one handed backhand, but seeing as how the kids don't really use it anymore I won't be charging my usual 5p per shot invention. Now, if some of you pikers owe me for your forehands? Now's the time to settle your bill .....

PKfan1 09-27-2012 03:50 AM

Since it was mentioned, about the wonder wedge, would it make a head grip a more wilson shape or is it more extreme than that?

The Dark Knight 09-27-2012 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PKfan1 (Post 6921756)
Since it was mentioned, about the wonder wedge, would it make a head grip a more wilson shape or is it more extreme than that?

Far more extreme.

The grip I find completely useless for an Eastern.....in fact it ruins the eastern grip because the wonder wedge lays exactly on the main bevel needed for an eastern.

Having said that the wonder wedge is amazing for all other grips.

It acts as a "shelf" for your hand to sort of push off of. It makes your shots so much more powerful ..absolutely amazing how such a minor thing makes such a difference. More so than strings or the racquet you choose.

For the continental the top of the grip acts as a "shelf" for your index finger to lay on and push off of . Your serves will be mor powerful, more exact and basically better in every regard. Those "you grip" things use the same idea....by placing a ring in the appropriate spot it gives your index finger a "shelf" to rest on and push off of.

For the semi western the entire wedge acts as a shelf rather than just the top as in a continental. So with a semi western your hand locks into the grip and your hand is able to push off for more power and topspin. It just makes your strokes stronger. I don't get how the "yougrip" helps in this regard.

It's the butt cap of the "yougrip" that interests me. It seems as thoug it also acts as a brace to lock in the bottom of your hand....a "shelf" for the bottom of your hand to lock in and push off of.....I haven't received it yet so I can't review it.

The wonder wedge really does work. It will power up your game. When you first use it you will be spraying balls over the fence because of all the power you gain.

Torres 09-27-2012 05:06 AM

That...is....just....ridiculous. As well as being uncomfortable.

bugeyed 09-27-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight (Post 6921786)

snip
It acts as a "shelf" for your hand to sort of push off of.
It makes your shots so much more powerful
..absolutely amazing how such a minor thing makes such a difference.
More so than strings or the racquet you choose.

For the continental the top of the grip acts as a "shelf" for your index finger to lay on and push off of .
Your serves will be mor powerful, more exact and basically better in every regard.
So with a semi western your hand locks into the grip and your hand is able to push off for more power and topspin.
It just makes your strokes stronger. I don't get how the "yougrip" helps in this regard.

snip
It will power up your game. When you first use it you will be spraying balls over the fence because of all the power you gain.

A shelf for your hand to "push of of"? "index finger to lay on & push off of"? More power, serve better in every regard? Sounds like a salesman on commission. I don't think that my hand or index finger "push off" when I hit! More of a difference than the strings?
I think that I can safely say that, by the way you describe the benefits of the Wonder Wedge, it's mostly in your head! Absolute snake oil relative to the improvements as you describe them. It may give you a different grip on the racquet, but when you talk about hands & fingers "pushing off", I know you have a very vivid imagination.

Cheers,
kev