Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   one piece string job with flying clamps (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441186)

darklore009 09-25-2012 07:41 PM

one piece string job with flying clamps

I have a gamma progression 200. I have a question about doing one piece. I was wondering how to do a one piece job although I have flying clamps only. Yes I know how to do with fixed clamps.

Irvin 09-25-2012 08:37 PM

What racket are you talking about stringing

darklore009 09-25-2012 09:32 PM

Six one 90.

The Meat 09-25-2012 09:43 PM

Mark a 40 ft string at the 10 ft mark and slip that through the bottom center main. The ten feet will be enough to string the right or left side of the mains. Forgot which mains to skip for around the world, but you could just tie off the crosses near the top. Hasn't distorted any Wilson 90 racquets that I've strung so far.

darklore009 09-25-2012 09:46 PM

my main concern is about when clamping when starting the first cross. The flying clamp doesn't have an anchor string to hold it on.

Radicalized 09-25-2012 09:57 PM

http://www.wilson.com/en-us/sports/t...?view=Standard

Pro Staff Six.One 90 BLX
String Pattern
16 Mains x 19 Crosses
String Length
One 38' (11.6 m) length (ss: 10') or 20' (6.1 m) mains
and 18' (5.5 m) crosses. Start mains at throat.
Mains skip 7T, 9T, 7H and 9H. Tie off mains at 6T.
If one-piece stringing: Start X’s at bottom at 7T. Tie off X’s at 5H.
If two-piece stringing: Start X’s at top at 7H. Tie off X’s at 5H & 11T.
Recommended String Tension
50 - 60 lbs. (23 - 27 kgs.)

Use same method with your floating clamps as when you start two-piece. Continue with the short side and long side.

The Meat 09-25-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darklore009 (Post 6919579)
my main concern is about when clamping when starting the first cross. The flying clamp doesn't have an anchor string to hold it on.

Don't worry about it. As long as you clamp down the first cross, the flying clamps on the Gamma Progression 200 should get stuck in between the mains and it should hold tension.

|||x|x|x|x||||||||||||||| <----------Mains
--------------------- <----------1st cross.
|||x|x|x|x|||||||||||||||

The x is where the clamp should pull against the main when you lift the tensioner.

Radicalized 09-25-2012 10:31 PM

^What he said. The teeth of the clamp will be held against the mains when you clamp the first cross after pulling tension. There is also the bend of the string going from a main to a cross. That's all there is with no connection to a base. Put a "dummy" piece of string in the empty side of the clamp when clamping the first cross (single) string. Then weave and tension the second cross. Clamp cross one and two. But it's late. Am I missing something in your concern?

slowfox 09-25-2012 11:30 PM

I use a starting pin to help clamp the first cross. I also made a flexible start pin with a scrap piece of string tied to keyring (but you can use whatever you want). I then weave the scrap string thru the 2nd cross hole, and clamp that with the 1st cross. The keyring will stay up against the outside of the frame. Hope my silly solution makes sense. It totally works for me.

But when I'm lazy I just weave the first 2 crosses and tension them together. Ghetto... :)

beepee1972 09-26-2012 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radicalized (Post 6919631)
^What he said. The teeth of the clamp will be held against the mains when you clamp the first cross after pulling tension. There is also the bend of the string going from a main to a cross. That's all there is with no connection to a base. Put a "dummy" piece of string in the empty side of the clamp when clamping the first cross (single) string. Then weave and tension the second cross. Clamp cross one and two. But it's late. Am I missing something in your concern?

^^^ That's exactly what I do. Works like a charm. Always use a short piece of scrap string to clamp

Irvin 09-26-2012 01:45 AM

Do you want to use an ATW pattern or is stringing bottom up ok with you?

EDIT: Also when you string that racket the top and bottom standards (frame supports) may get in the way when you try to clamp the top and bottom crosses. Do you know if you are able to clamp the top and bottom crosses or not?

EDIT: If it was me I would string the racket two piece and assuming you can clamp the top and bottom crosses I would use a starting knot and double pull the top two crosses. BTW a starting clamp would make stringing a whole lot easier.

The Meat 09-26-2012 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 6919742)
Do you want to use an ATW pattern or is stringing bottom up ok with you?

EDIT: Also when you string that racket the top and bottom standards (frame supports) may get in the way when you try to clamp the top and bottom crosses. Do you know if you are able to clamp the top and bottom crosses or not?

EDIT: If it was me I would string the racket two piece and assuming you can clamp the top and bottom crosses I would use a starting knot and double pull the top two crosses. BTW a starting clamp would make stringing a whole lot easier.

Agreed, doing a two piece job would be easier and faster. Though you can't tie off the bottom cross to a main but only to another cross, which really ticks me off. :( (The Wilson 90 racquets are what I mean)

chopstic 10-01-2012 05:27 PM

I also have the BLX pro staff 90 and string it with a gamma x-2, which is almost identical to your progression 200. The problem with this racquet, and the gamma stringer, is that the top and bottom cross strings are so close to the edges of the frame, which also places them extremely close to the mounting clamps on the gamma stringer, that it is hard to squeeze the bulky gamma floating clamps in there.

on the first and last crosses, I usually bring the gamma floating clamp in on top of the string bed, and Im only usually able to get the a little bit of the string into the clamp. Its not an ideal situation, but there's not a whole lot you can do in this situation with those big 2-piece frame clamps getting in the way