Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   My 2 steps of backswing, is it normal ? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441208)

isilra 09-26-2012 03:55 AM

My 2 steps of backswing, is it normal ?

It is always said that you shouldn't stop when you start your swinging movement and it all has to be a smooth movement. What i do is, i turn my body, pivot my legs, and take my racquet back. Than i stop for a moment and after that little break, i drop the racquet down and moving it upwards to contact like a windshield viper forehand. I just don't feel it like a totally smooth movement but i feel comfortable hitting that way. Do you think i need to change that habit or not ? If i need, do you have some suggestions to help me correct it ?

isilra 09-26-2012 03:59 AM

It mostly looks like that;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plbjjrzBZt8

My only difference is my backswing is not straight like that. I have a loop and i give that break not just before hitting the ball but dropping the racquet down.

NTRPolice 09-26-2012 04:32 AM

It's not for me but I dont think anything is wrong with it. A lot of people have that "wrist action" and you can get some nice pop on the ball doing it. I actually tried to build a forehand like that once but I kept getting sidespin on it.

freelans 09-26-2012 04:37 AM

I really want to incorporate a wrist action like that but I end up opening the racket face a lot. As my elbow comes forward, the palms face the sky for a split second sending the ball over the opposite fence.

Anyone else have this issue?

Sky_Boy 09-26-2012 05:12 AM

Why do u actually watch hi10pro instructional video.. that guy is a hack.. there r much better videos out there

effortless 09-26-2012 05:25 AM

I think its fine if your shot looks like that. A lot of pros have wrist snap. It's a good way to have racquet head speed. Assuming your swing is very similar to that guys' you could probably do with a longer swing with more shoulder rotation. You'll end up with a nadal forehand.

isilra 09-26-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelans (Post 6919843)
I really want to incorporate a wrist action like that but I end up opening the racket face a lot. As my elbow comes forward, the palms face the sky for a split second sending the ball over the opposite fence.

Anyone else have this issue?

The key to that kind of wrist action i find is, holding the racquet as loose as possible. That way, you just move and turn your body forward and your racquet comes from behind. If you hit the ball right in front of you, then it goes like a bullet. Whenever i hold the racquet tight, the racquet faces upwards during the contact and the ball goes to the sky.

My forehand does not exactly looks like this guy. I mean i believe that i have a better footwork and early preparation than him but the reason i have put that video is, i have the same stop that he takes just before hitting the ball. I mean i turn my shoulders and pivot my feet and i start to take the racquet back with a loop. Then as the second part of the motion, i drop the racquet and hit the ball. And i don't know if it is normal because it is always said that once you begin backswing movement, you shouldn't stop.

esgee48 09-26-2012 08:11 AM

Don't see anything wrong. I think it's better for you to be prepared too early to hit rather than late. That way you can't be surprise by pace.

Vlad_C 09-26-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isilra (Post 6919808)

My only difference is my backswing is not straight like that. I have a loop and i give that break not just before hitting the ball but dropping the racquet down.

Normally, the purpose of a loopy takeback is to get the racquet moving, and generate more racquet speed that way.
If you have a break in your loopy swing, that pretty much negates any benefit from that long loop.
At that point, a loopy takeback becomes just a waste of time. You would be better off with just a simple, straight takeback.

freelans 09-26-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isilra (Post 6920154)
The key to that kind of wrist action i find is, holding the racquet as loose as possible. That way, you just move and turn your body forward and your racquet comes from behind. If you hit the ball right in front of you, then it goes like a bullet. Whenever i hold the racquet tight, the racquet faces upwards during the contact and the ball goes to the sky.

My forehand does not exactly looks like this guy. I mean i believe that i have a better footwork and early preparation than him but the reason i have put that video is, i have the same stop that he takes just before hitting the ball. I mean i turn my shoulders and pivot my feet and i start to take the racquet back with a loop. Then as the second part of the motion, i drop the racquet and hit the ball. And i don't know if it is normal because it is always said that once you begin backswing movement, you shouldn't stop.

Thanks, I know I should definitely keep my grip loose, but it's so easy to forget!:|

LeeD 09-26-2012 09:46 AM

Hesistation only means you prepped early, always a good thing.
The loop or straight takeback is up to the individual. Both can hit great forehands...AnkeHuber vs SteffiGraf.
The hesitation on the loop forehand takes place as the ball is being recognized by the player.

ATP100 09-26-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isilra (Post 6919808)

I would never teach anybody to hit a forehand like this....never....
I have been in tennis 40+ years. I am 47.

LeeD 09-26-2012 10:13 AM

Vocal analysis by that guy is out to lunch.
Short swing, yes. Wrist snap, NO NO NO. The player uses a WW finish, like any modern forehand. The arm turns over. The laid back wrist is in all modern forehands. The relaxed wrist doesn't snap.

effortless 09-26-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad_C (Post 6920298)
Normally, the purpose of a loopy takeback is to get the racquet moving, and generate more racquet speed that way.
If you have a break in your loopy swing, that pretty much negates any benefit from that long loop.
At that point, a loopy takeback becomes just a waste of time. You would be better off with just a simple, straight takeback.

This person knows what they are talking about. Stick to a simple straight takeback if you want a more consistent shot. If you want a more powerful shot, keep your loopy takeback but work on keeping a flowing movement.

On a similar note, what is it with people banging on about how good short backswings are lately? They are good if you are an intermediate player working on consistency. But if you are advanced and want to work on power you should work on having a long swing and using your whole body (legs, torso, shoulders, arm, wrist).