Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   What Prostock racket does Tomas Berdych use ? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441212)

Gaz77 09-26-2012 05:11 AM

What Prostock racket does Tomas Berdych use ?

Anyone know what Pro-stock racket Tomas Berdych actually plays with ?

Are we talking PT57a or one of the TGK frames ?

niktub 09-26-2012 05:17 AM

TGK or TGT 260.2 YT radical MP mold in 16x19

Gaz77 09-26-2012 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niktub (Post 6919898)

Thanks Niktub, do you know what do all the different TGK/TGT references are, there seems to be so many out there but i have no idea what they all mean, they seem to start from the 230's all the way up to 269 ?

I have a PT57a but i understand the TGK/TGT rackets are all completely different sets up's but what exactly i dont know.

Confusing or what !

dr325i 09-26-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz77 (Post 6919916)
Thanks Niktub, do you know what do all the different TGK/TGT references are, there seems to be so many out there but i have no idea what they all mean, they seem to start from the 230's all the way up to 269 ?

I have a PT57a but i understand the TGK/TGT rackets are all completely different sets up's but what exactly i dont know.

Confusing or what !

Search, there is plenty (of more confusing) info on these boards...
The TGK/TGT froames are the Pro stock versions of the retail frames. The retail frames have the identical markings (if you take the pallets off), so, they come from the same mold/materials. The retail sticks are made for the Mass market according to the specs printed inside the throat.
The Pro Stock version (we call them TGK/TGT here) are lighter versions of the retail made for easy customization for the Pros. Each of those has the specific weight and balance printed under the pallets. The weight and balance corresponds to the hairpin.
Some of the TGKs may have a special layup done, some may have a special string pattern -- Berdych, Cilic, old Wawrinka...

Then, there are the PT57A/E/F... These are the paintjobs of the Pro Stock old rackets -- PT57A is of the PT630, PT57E is of the iPrestige, PT57F is of the PT630 mold/layup with flexpoint holes, blah, blah... These also may come in the special string pattern and layups. There are other than PT57x variants of the PT sticks. The PTs used to be made (and may still be) in Austria until recently (not sure).

Then, you have some special setups like Djokovic's racket that we do not know the code. Could be TGK231.1 -- MG Radical MO since it comes from the same mold, but may be a special layup (softer)...

World Class Forehand 09-26-2012 08:54 AM

What is the difference between a TGK 260.2 and a TGT 260.2?

Just the cosmetics/paintjob?

Gaz77 09-27-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr325i (Post 6920224)
Search, there is plenty (of more confusing) info on these boards...
The TGK/TGT froames are the Pro stock versions of the retail frames. The retail frames have the identical markings (if you take the pallets off), so, they come from the same mold/materials. The retail sticks are made for the Mass market according to the specs printed inside the throat.
The Pro Stock version (we call them TGK/TGT here) are lighter versions of the retail made for easy customization for the Pros. Each of those has the specific weight and balance printed under the pallets. The weight and balance corresponds to the hairpin.
Some of the TGKs may have a special layup done, some may have a special string pattern -- Berdych, Cilic, old Wawrinka...

Then, there are the PT57A/E/F... These are the paintjobs of the Pro Stock old rackets -- PT57A is of the PT630, PT57E is of the iPrestige, PT57F is of the PT630 mold/layup with flexpoint holes, blah, blah... These also may come in the special string pattern and layups. There are other than PT57x variants of the PT sticks. The PTs used to be made (and may still be) in Austria until recently (not sure).

Then, you have some special setups like Djokovic's racket that we do not know the code. Could be TGK231.1 -- MG Radical MO since it comes from the same mold, but may be a special layup (softer)...

Thanks for the info dr325i.......so how come you know so much about the pro-stock sticks ?

Here's a question for you and anyone else out there.......do you know if anyone has ever got their hands on a genuine Federer stick. Remember when he smashed his racket-up in Miami, i'm sure he put it back in his bag so no one could get there hands on it ?

Big John 09-27-2012 02:03 AM

I think the TGT 260.2 doesn't exist. As the good doctor pointed out to me yesterday, the 260.4 is still a TGK. I thought they'd all become TGT with the IG series but apparently not. My bad.

Big John 09-27-2012 02:05 AM

I might again be wrong but I think the TGK or TGT refers to different Chinese factories in which the racquets are made?

Gaz77 09-27-2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big John (Post 6921733)
I might again be wrong but I think the TGK or TGT refers to different Chinese factories in which the racquets are made?

A lot of people seem to keep referring to the TGK260.2 as the stick that Berdych and Sharapova use but what the specs are i have no idea so i presume it still exists and i was on the understanding that all ATP top 50 players have their rackets made in Austria, outside of the top 50 players rackets come straight from china.

So is it only the PT57a's which are still made in Austria, i was under the impression PT57'a's and the TGK/TGT's where all made there too ?

Also isnt it funny that there's so many theories out there as to what rackets the pro's really play with and how there modified, ultimately no one really knows but i wonder if any other sports have the same sort of "conspiracy theories". For example is there a golf forum out there where people are debating what clubs Tiger Woods 'really' plays with ????

Nostradamus 09-27-2012 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niktub (Post 6919898)

so if i go out and buy the youtek radical MP, would i have a same or very similar racket ? i was thinking about switching to berdych racket. i am trying to develop a similar game to him if possible

vsbabolat 09-27-2012 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz77 (Post 6922013)
A lot of people seem to keep referring to the TGK260.2 as the stick that Berdych and Sharapova use but what the specs are i have no idea so i presume it still exists and i was on the understanding that all ATP top 50 players have their rackets made in Austria, outside of the top 50 players rackets come straight from china.

So is it only the PT57a's which are still made in Austria, i was under the impression PT57'a's and the TGK/TGT's where all made there too ?

Also isnt it funny that there's so many theories out there as to what rackets the pro's really play with and how there modified, ultimately no one really knows but i wonder if any other sports have the same sort of "conspiracy theories". For example is there a golf forum out there where people are debating what clubs Tiger Woods 'really' plays with ????

Sharapova uses a different racquet form Berdych. Sharapova uses the YT Radical Pro TGK269. That frame is 100sq.inches. Berdych really does use the TGK260.2

TGK and TGT are all made in China no matter what ranking you have.

These are not theories friend. There are people that have first hand experience with Pro Stock frames and the personal frames of players.

gmatheis 09-27-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaz77 (Post 6921677)
Thanks for the info dr325i.......so how come you know so much about the pro-stock sticks ?

Here's a question for you and anyone else out there.......do you know if anyone has ever got their hands on a genuine Federer stick. Remember when he smashed his racket-up in Miami, i'm sure he put it back in his bag so no one could get there hands on it ?

I believe there was a thread where someone posted pictures of Federer's shoes and rackets that he had purchased at various charity auctions. I'm not sure he ever said how much he paid, but it was in the range of $15,000 - $25,000 I think for a racket. I believe that was an actual used racket signed on the overgrip. This guy also had some of Nadal's stuff I think. he also did some weighing of the shoes and rackets etc.

Found the thread .. look up Fabfed's posts for other threads too
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=347886

niktub 09-27-2012 10:10 AM

TGT is the new batch after TGK(different factory/adress in China).
I guess that TB has been using the TGT with the change of cosmetic from YT to IG Instinct.

movdqa 09-27-2012 12:06 PM

TB's earlier IG Instinct PJs were tgk260.2s. The later ones are tgt260.2s.

> so if i go out and buy the youtek radical MP, would i have
> a same or very similar racket ? i was thinking about
> switching to berdych racket. i am trying to develop a
> similar game to him if possible

It wouldn't be the same as the pro stocks start with a lighter hairpin so material distribution would be different but I don't know if that's a small thing or a large thing. I certainly think that you'd be getting closer than any other frame though. The string pattern is different but I don't think that will make a huge difference.

The biggest difference, though, in Berdych's frame is the swingweight. Berdych's swingweight is somewhere between 390 and 400. This is pretty much in the high-end area for pros. Djokovic is around 370 and Fed and Nadal are lower. Those really hard groundstrokes that Berdych hits with apparent ease are due to his ability to accelerate a racquet with very high swingweight. One thing that you notice with players that use very high swingweights - they generally have two-handed backhands (though they may hit one-handed slice backhands). It can be hard to accelerate high weights on the backhand side with one hand.

If you're not used to high swingweights, I'd recommend taking it slow, especially on the serve.

> Also isnt it funny that there's so many theories out there
> as to what rackets the pro's really play with and how
> there modified, ultimately no one really knows but i
> wonder if any other sports have the same sort of
> "conspiracy theories". For example is there a golf forum
> out there where people are debating what clubs Tiger
> Woods 'really' plays with ????

I think that there have been about 20 of Berdych's frames for sale over the past two years. Some have been in hairpin form (raw racquet without pallet, grip, silicon and lead), some in uncustomized form (racquet with silicone but without lead), and some XLs without lead, some with his specs and some used at tournaments. I can guarantee you that there are people in this thread that own or did own TB's frames.

Big John 09-27-2012 02:32 PM

So are the TGK still being made or are they all TGT now? I'll start checking my newer sticks, this having to take the pallets off to look now is a pain.. :(

I've got some new Youtek Prestige Mids coming in the next few days, I'll start there.. It does make it interesting I guess, I have no idea what's under the paint.. :)

movdqa 09-27-2012 02:37 PM

I don't think that there's any difference in the racquets between TGT and TGK but I think that there's more TGT now.

Lefty78 09-27-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by movdqa (Post 6922735)
One thing that you notice with players that use very high swingweights - they generally have two-handed backhands

I respectfully disagree

JoelDali 09-27-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 6922016)
so if i go out and buy the youtek radical MP, would i have a same or very similar racket ? i was thinking about switching to berdych racket. i am trying to develop a similar game to him if possible

dr325i 09-27-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lefty78 (Post 6923176)
I respectfully disagree

He meant to say "good players", A ;)

movdqa 09-27-2012 06:57 PM

> I respectfully disagree

You're certainly welcome to provide a counter-example to prove your point.