Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   VS gut blk 16/ Lux4g16(1.30) vs. VS gut blk16/Ltec0s16L(1.27) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441264)

arche3 09-26-2012 03:23 PM

VS gut blk 16/ Lux4g16(1.30) vs. VS gut blk16/Ltec0s16L(1.27)

Hybrid comparison as I have been using ltec 0s 16L as a cross.

Racket is Apdgt. 360 grams. 9points head light. 55/52 tension.

Ltec 0s cross:

Predictable string response. Good tension maintenance. Gut slides very well. A bit low powered compared to say using rpm 17 as a cross. Feel is firm and a bit light on the ball. Compared to ALU as a cross it is similar. Not as much power as ALU. This hybrid will stay playable till the gut breaks. Overall a very good combo. Great directional control, decent spin. Can really shape the ball when needed and hit flat when needed. Great serving combo. Way better than full poly. IMO.

Lux 4g 16 cross:

(As compared to ltec)
thicker heavier feeling on the ball. Slightly more power even though it is a thicker string at 1.30. Control is very similar. Great directional control as well. Slightly more spin compared to ltec Os cross. A bit more bite. But this is not a spin setup.
Its an all court setup. Much like the ltec cross setup.
Serves well. As well as ltec cross but because of the slightly added power level a bit easier to generate pace on the flat bombs. Spin serves felt great as well,

Not sure about durability or playability. Only played twice with it.

I can switch between both frames at will and play my game. I give the nod to lux 4g on serves.

I give the nod to 4g on feel as well as I prefer a thicker feel of string on ball.

Conclusion:
4g is a great cross string. Way better than ALU and ALU rough as a cross. And comparable to ltec OS 16L as a cross.

I'm glad I finally found a 16g string I like as much as ltec OS16L.

TimothyO 09-26-2012 03:54 PM

Good review Arche, thanks!

parasailing 09-27-2012 11:11 PM

Durability on Luxilon string will determine whether it is worth putting it as a cross. So far, I am loving Ltec 4S as a cross with VS Team mains as I have now over 15 hours on it. It's lasting longer than any hybrid cross I have put in my racquets and still has good tension maintenance and feel.

arche3 09-28-2012 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parasailing (Post 6923710)
Durability on Luxilon string will determine whether it is worth putting it as a cross. So far, I am loving Ltec 4S as a cross with VS Team mains as I have now over 15 hours on it. It's lasting longer than any hybrid cross I have put in my racquets and still has good tension maintenance and feel.

I agree. I have a racket with 4s cross. It lasts longer than 0s. But since 4s is flatter shape I didn't compare it to the 4g.
If I were to compare the 4s and 4g have similar power levels. Slight edge in power to 4s.

My last 4s cross racket had the gut snap at 14 hours. Before that 20. Right in the sweet spot both times from the rubbing.

I'm thinking 4g and 4s crosses will have similar wear on the mains. They both have a wide surface for the mains to slide on.

TimothyO 09-28-2012 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parasailing (Post 6923710)

I've lost count on the hours of my 4G crosses. Hit yesterday evening and they felt as good as ever. They're certainly notching into the mains but that's to be expected.

What impresses me most about 4G is the level of comfort and control over time. MSV products certainly provide long term comfort as crosses but control tends to suffer. I've enjoyed 4G so much I'm having my second 200 Tour strung with the same VS/4G 16 setup (had Pro Red Code Crosses in that one...yuck...no feel, no comfort, just a nasty hitting experience and the strings seemed to die really fast.)

Federerkblade 09-28-2012 05:59 AM

[quote=TimothyO;6923918]I've lost count on the hours of my 4G crosses. Hit yesterday evening and they felt as good as ever. They're certainly notching into the mains but that's to be expected.

can we see a pic of your racquet with the strings pls

where do you play in the uk ?

arche3 09-28-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 6923918)
I've lost count on the hours of my 4G crosses. Hit yesterday evening and they felt as good as ever. They're certainly notching into the mains but that's to be expected.

What impresses me most about 4G is the level of comfort and control over time. MSV products certainly provide long term comfort as crosses but control tends to suffer. I've enjoyed 4G so much I'm having my second 200 Tour strung with the same VS/4G 16 setup (had Pro Red Code Crosses in that one...yuck...no feel, no comfort, just a nasty hitting experience and the strings seemed to die really fast.)

I'm reluctantly optimistic about the 4g cross after 2 sessions. Both one sets. So about 1.5 hours. Love this combo so far. I just don't want to get my hopes too high. So far it is fantastic. If it plays like this till break of gut I am going all in with 4g crosses.

Federerkblade 09-30-2012 08:30 AM

where is 4 g available in uk ? is it available from w and d if so how much

arche3 09-30-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Federerkblade (Post 6927636)
where is 4 g available in uk ? is it available from w and d if so how much

I would imagine same place you get lux alu power. Tennis warehouse?

Btw. I'm all in with 4g as a cross now. I'm hitting very well with it. It is softer than ltec as a cross. But the same control.

Federerkblade 09-30-2012 10:37 AM

[quote=arche3;6927790]I would imagine same place you get lux alu power. Tennis warehouse?

not quite you wouldnt ordinarily order from tennis warehouse europe for luxilon strings in uk

there are many vendors but none stocking 4g

arche3 09-30-2012 11:30 AM

[quote=Federerkblade;6927842]
Quote:

Originally Posted by arche3 (Post 6927790)
I would imagine same place you get lux alu power. Tennis warehouse?

not quite you wouldnt ordinarily order from tennis warehouse europe for luxilon strings in uk

there are many vendors but none stocking 4g

you would think 4g being the new lux string it would be available? very odd.