Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Anyone use or seen the new Alpha Ghost stringing machine? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441266)

kdurham 09-26-2012 04:39 PM

Anyone use or seen the new Alpha Ghost stringing machine?

Just heard about Alpha's "Ghost" stringing machine:

http://www.newtechtennis.com/store/i...roducts_id=175

Has anyone reviewed or used or even seen one yet? :confused: If you have, can you give me some thoughts compared to like machines please. I cannot find info anywhere.

coachrick 09-26-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdurham (Post 6921151)
Just heard about Alpha's "Ghost" stringing machine:

http://www.newtechtennis.com/store/i...roducts_id=175

Has anyone reviewed or used or even seen one yet? :confused: If you have, can you give me some thoughts compared to like machines please. I cannot find info anywhere.

I like the order page where it states "How many?". I think a round half-dozen would do! ;)
Heck, if you're dying to know about this thing AND they have one 'on the floor', I could drop by there tomorrow and have a gander. I don't know that they would just put one together for display...their 'storefront' is pretty limited space-wise.

themitchmann 09-26-2012 08:22 PM

Saw it at the GSS symposium the other day. Nice machine. Automatic table brake (locks during tensioning) and Prince like dual action gravity release clamps.

COPEY 09-26-2012 10:19 PM

I spoke with Mark not too long ago and he said he often strings on the Ghost, so it seems as though he has one set up. Awesome looking machine, though...which gives me an idea for a Christmas present (for myself!)

schap02 09-27-2012 04:58 AM

Machine looks nice, price isn't terrible, looks like they copied some features from various machines, Prince/Babolat ect....

Interested in quality of construction

Irvin 09-27-2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themitchmann (Post 6921408)
Saw it at the GSS symposium the other day. Nice machine. Automatic table brake (locks during tensioning) and Prince like dual action gravity release clamps.

That could be a good and or bad thing. When stringing if your table wobbles any you do not have your gripper, grommet, and the turntable pivot point lined up in a straight line. If you are stringing a prince with O ports and not pin hole grommets that's a good thing but every prince has a few grommet holes. If you have a normal racket I don't think it is such a good thing. If the brake holds the frame off so there is a greater angle or bend of the string than there should be you have more friction and therefore less tension.

if I had one of those I would want something so I could disengage the brake. For most rackets you DO NOT NEED OR WANT THE BRAKE so it would be better to have the brake set up so you could engage in manually.

themitchmann 09-27-2012 05:54 AM

It doesn't lock immediately: it pulls for a moment first, then engages. I actually think its a cool feature. I'm guessing it can probably be disengaged, but I don't know for sure.

Irvin 09-27-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themitchmann (Post 6921873)
It doesn't lock immediately: it pulls for a moment first, then engages. I actually think its a cool feature. I'm guessing it can probably be disengaged, but I don't know for sure.

Then it would not be good for a Prince O Port racket it would just produce more problems as if stringing Prince rackets don't cause enough problems now.

themitchmann 09-27-2012 08:17 AM

All you would need to do is hold the table until it locked.

kdurham 09-27-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themitchmann (Post 6922102)

Hey in that case it would be pretty handy for the o-ports...

Pro_Tour_630 09-27-2012 09:04 AM

amazing machine, strung on it at the 2012 GSS, oit is the best bang for the buck, if you want a baiardo and can not afford one this is the machine to get. Very smooth, and attractive machine. Mark from Alpha is the best.

BoingTennis 09-27-2012 05:58 PM

Guys, I'm looking to purchase a machine to upgrade my current Victor C-7027 w/ Wise Head.

I'm currently looking at the Baiardo and Star5 since both has great reviews and great quality.

When I came across this thread, the Alpha Ghost and Phantom really caught my attention. They look great and seems to have great built quality from looking at the pictures.

What are the differences between the Ghost and Phantom? The price difference is almost USD1000.

ewberner 09-27-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoingTennis (Post 6923209)
Guys, I'm looking to purchase a machine to upgrade my current Victor C-7027 w/ Wise Head.

I'm currently looking at the Baiardo and Star5 since both has great reviews and great quality.

When I came across this thread, the Alpha Ghost and Phantom really caught my attention. They look great and seems to have great built quality from looking at the pictures.

What are the differences between the Ghost and Phantom? The price difference is almost USD1000.

The display screen and the glide rails are the main difference. The ghost has straight rails and the phantom has curved rails. The phantom is also easier to calibrate as with the ghost you must unscrew the display screen to access the appropriate places to adjust the tension. Both are great machines and worth considering if you can't afford the Wilson or Babolat.

kdurham 09-29-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 6921859)
That could be a good and or bad thing. When stringing if your table wobbles any you do not have your gripper, grommet, and the turntable pivot point lined up in a straight line. If you are stringing a prince with O ports and not pin hole grommets that's a good thing but every prince has a few grommet holes. If you have a normal racket I don't think it is such a good thing. If the brake holds the frame off so there is a greater angle or bend of the string than there should be you have more friction and therefore less tension.

if I had one of those I would want something so I could disengage the brake. For most rackets you DO NOT NEED OR WANT THE BRAKE so it would be better to have the brake set up so you could engage in manually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by themitchmann (Post 6921873)

Quote:

Originally Posted by themitchmann (Post 6922102)

JUST RECEIVED THE MANUAL. REGARDING THE AUTO BREAK FUNCTION IT READS: "The machine has an AUTOBRAKE feature which will lock the turntable each time tension is pulled on the machine, then release the turntable when tension is released.
To remove AUTOBRAKE, push and hold the BRAKE button for few seconds,
In the Manual mode, the turntable can be locked / unlocked each time the BRAKE button is pushed.
To return to AUTOBRAKE, push and hold the BRAKE button for few seconds."

coachrick 09-29-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdurham (Post 6926014)
JUST RECEIVED THE MANUAL. REGARDING THE AUTO BREAK FUNCTION IT READS: "The machine has an AUTOBRAKE feature which will lock the turntable each time tension is pulled on the machine, then release the turntable when tension is released.
To remove AUTOBRAKE, push and hold the BRAKE button for few seconds,
In the Manual mode, the turntable can be locked / unlocked each time the BRAKE button is pushed.
To return to AUTOBRAKE, push and hold the BRAKE button for few seconds."

Maybe I'm just a sissy; but I think I'd manually apply the brake <5%? of the time and leave it in manual mode. Auto-brake would drive me nuts. :)

bigmatt 09-29-2012 02:34 PM

I liked the table lock; strung an EXO3 Warrior on it and it helped a lot. The adjustable pulling speed was a great feature at this price point and was nice for polys. Clamps were more than adequate for hold and adjustability.
The machine is one of the best values I've seen in a long time.

kdurham 09-30-2012 07:38 AM

You guys have seen and used this machine. I am very likely to pull the trigger on it Monday or when Mark gets back on Tues. Question is this: Do I understand correctly, that (regarding the table lock) when in Auto mode, it pulls like every other machine and then locks the table about when the table is stable or when tension is reached. Therefore the table is locked, making locking the Switch Action mounts down a one handed operation, as the table is not wobbling (and the tension head is not fighting to keep tension while wobbling)?
And, if still in Auto mode... Stringing an O-Port, you would start the tensioner while (using left hand or your hip) simply keep the string against the correct side of the port and the table would lock in place while tensioning and unlock after tension is released?
Thanks for the feedback. When and if I do get this one (because I cannot find a used Star 5 around) I will be able let anyone who is interested in what I think of it, as it compares to a Gamma Progression II ELS w/stand, my current machine.

Chotobaka 09-30-2012 03:59 PM

Is the Alpha Ghost self-centering like the Gamma 5800/8800's? If not, how to adjust the pillars -- a "bar" underneath, or a hex wrench? It looks like the base clamp locks are the click variety like the 8800, which I really like. It splits the difference in price between the 5800 and 8800, making what was an already difficult decision even tougher. Lastly, how effective is the brake? Ideally, I would like a solid feeling clutch type brake -- maybe the Ghost has newer, better tech?

ewberner 09-30-2012 04:26 PM

It has twist knobs on the bottom of the turntable to adjust the pillars. Very simple to use. And the base clamps click to lock but are gravity released. There is also a push button release on them as well. They were flawlessly. The brake really locks up the table. I like that feature a lot.

WileyCoyote 10-01-2012 06:32 AM

Equinox Comparison?

I have an Alpha Equinox, and I really like it. Much better than I deserve.

If any of you that have seen the Ghost are also familiar with the Equinox, I would appreciate any sort of comparison that you might offer. It seems clear the Ghost clamps are much better and perhaps other features.

I do not have the original Equinox tensioner, so that comparison is not appropriate, but perhaps other items are.

Thanks,

Harry