Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Which strings do you use & how often do you change them? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441292)

Tennisguy3000 09-27-2012 01:05 AM

Which strings do you use & how often do you change them?

Which strings do you use & how often do you change them out?

Just curious as to what others are using & how often they are switching them out. My tennis elbow has been flaring up lately, I have been playing a lot though but I think a change in strings, tension & replacement time will help my arm out & hopefully my game.

My specs are:

Racquet - Head Six Star
String - Luxilon M2 Pro @ 60 LBS (full bed)
String Change - Every two months or so

Thinking of going to - Weiss Cannon B5E (full bed)

Thanks for any thoughts & info - Cheers TG

P.S. Forum post on the Weiss Cannon B5E strings
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=361509

Hi I'm Ray 09-27-2012 01:43 AM

"String Change - Every two months or so" - this is probably the reason why your TE is flaring up! That or technique, stiff frame, or a combo of those. Most polys go dead in about 6-10hrs and should then be cut out.

You might want to have a look at this thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=436684

sansaephanh 09-27-2012 01:57 AM

yeah man I didn't think a multi could hurt my arm no matter WHAT condition its in! Turns out fresh poly is alot healthier for my arm then dead multi is...

chaddles 09-27-2012 02:14 AM

They string at 60lb in the Six Star certainly is a recipe for potential TE. Stay away from poly, no matter how soft it is alleged to be, and give a multi like NXT or Power Fiber II a go at 58lb.

Restring regularly and you shouldn't have a drama, if you do buy a Volkl Organix V1 MP.

joe sch 09-27-2012 04:12 AM

Bab VS + hurricane at 50lbs on a head pc600 and TGK237.1 (18/20) plays like butter for me and lasts for at least 30 hours. No pain ever in my 50+ year old arm :)

anubis 09-27-2012 05:47 AM

I like to buy different strings and experiment with them. Currently I have POSG 16 @ 60 lbs. I change strings every two weeks.

NE1for10is? 09-27-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 6921938)
I like to buy different strings and experiment with them. Currently I have POSG 16 @ 60 lbs. I change strings every two weeks.

You might try a gut in the mains, at least until your arm heals up. The gut will last for months, and then put a softer poly in the crosses and you can cut out the poly every couple weeks or so and replace it when it goes dead.

A full bed of poly can cause TE even when it's fresh, so letting it get boardy and hitting with it for so long will only compound the issue and cause recurring problems.

Mongolmike 09-27-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anubis (Post 6921938)

Same here. I've keep a record (so I don't repeat) of different strings/hybrids/tensions I've tried in different racquets (I string my own) and have a few pages of all the strings I've tried over the past 6-7 years... but whatever my current go-to string is (Dunlop Juice 16g @53#) I restring every 10-14 days depending on how often I played.

jim e 09-27-2012 07:37 AM

Racquet: head radical tour
Strings: Wilson Nat. gut 16g. 64lbs for OS racquets, 61 lbs. for MP racquets.
Strings replaced : when they break. Strings very playable until they break.
Also been over a year without TE problems.

seekay 09-27-2012 08:42 AM

I use 17 gauge BHB7 at 45lb in my Pure Storm Tours. It's usually good for 6-10 hours before it starts to stiffen up.

I cut it out as soon as I notice a change in feel, even though the string stays playable for a while before it bottoms out. The string is relatively cheap, so I don't see any reason to push it.

mikeler 09-27-2012 09:16 AM

Racquet - Pro Kennex 7G
String - Discho Microfibre 16 @ 54 LBS (full bed, lockout machine)
String Change - Every 12 to 15 hours of singles play. The strings get so shredded that they visually disturb me and I cut them out.

Tennisguy3000 09-27-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi I'm Ray (Post 6921720)
"String Change - Every two months or so" - this is probably the reason why your TE is flaring up! That or technique, stiff frame, or a combo of those. Most polys go dead in about 6-10hrs and should then be cut out.

You might want to have a look at this thread:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=436684

Thanks Ray, Yeah... I need to invest in another racquet so that I am not waiting for a restring (I hate being without her haha). I think I will try a nat gut hybrid setup next.

Tennisguy3000 09-27-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddles (Post 6921740)
They string at 60lb in the Six Star certainly is a recipe for potential TE. Stay away from poly, no matter how soft it is alleged to be, and give a multi like NXT or Power Fiber II a go at 58lb.

Restring regularly and you shouldn't have a drama, if you do buy a Volkl Organix V1 MP.

Thanks Chaddles, Good advice... I have some testing to do. I think i need to start keeping notes on strings, I haven't found the holy grail yet lol

Tennisguy3000 09-27-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim e (Post 6922138)
Racquet: head radical tour
Strings: Wilson Nat. gut 16g. 64lbs for OS racquets, 61 lbs. for MP racquets.
Strings replaced : when they break. Strings very playable until they break.
Also been over a year without TE problems.

Thanks Jim, I have never tried a full be of natural gut but it may be time to do just that. What are the advantages & disadvantages of nat gut. I know it has good spin potential & its easier on the arm but....

Alchemy-Z 09-27-2012 09:28 AM

Luxilon adrenaline or Savage.

Every 4 months I re-string.

May-August 55lbs (average temp at play time 88-93)
Sept-Dec 52 lbs (average temp at playtime 77-82)
Jan-April - 48 (average temp at play time 53-58)

I string 2 Racquets and rotate between them every other match.

Never had TE...maybe after 12 years of smacking a vulcanized rubber puck on ice my elbow hardly notices me squashing a furry ball. =)

Tennisguy3000 09-27-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seekay (Post 6922283)
I use 17 gauge BHB7 at 45lb in my Pure Storm Tours. It's usually good for 6-10 hours before it starts to stiffen up.

I cut it out as soon as I notice a change in feel, even though the string stays playable for a while before it bottoms out. The string is relatively cheap, so I don't see any reason to push it.

The 17 gauge BHB7 is the string I have been eying to have a go with next... I need to switch out more often & keep track of my hours. Last few games on my Lux M2 Pro have been a little rough... I think my strings are gone (boardy).

Tennisguy3000 09-27-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alchemy-Z (Post 6922368)
Luxilon adrenaline or Savage.

Every 4 months I re-string.

May-August 55lbs (average temp at play time 88-93)
Sept-Dec 52 lbs (average temp at playtime 77-82)
Jan-April - 48 (average temp at play time 53-58)

I string 2 Racquets and rotate between them every other match.

Never had TE...maybe after 12 years of smacking a vulcanized rubber puck on ice my elbow hardly notices me squashing a furry ball. =)

Nice, I would consider you a lucky man then ;-) I did mess up my arm a bit with other sports years ago... I dont think it ever completely healed up ;-(

Which one would you say is softer & has more control, I dont need a power string. Thanks

Alchemy-Z 09-27-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennisguy3000 (Post 6922391)
Nice, I would consider you a lucky man then ;-) I did mess up my arm a bit with other sports years ago... I dont think it ever completely healed up ;-(

Which one would you say is softer & has more control, I dont need a power string. Thanks

Adrenalin: I play a mostly net game and I really like it for doubles ..as long as I set my angle on the face, track the ball right to the sweet spot the volly's always land with in a 10" diameter spot of the spot I am aiming for,

My coach use to set up used large folgers coffee cans in a few spots in each alley and would feed balls and have me volley till I hit (or landed inside of 10 cans)

on a good day I can normally 10 cans in 15-17 shots.

I have annoyed plenty opponents with my ability to volley into their feet/ankles. :)

Tennisguy3000 09-27-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alchemy-Z (Post 6922454)
Adrenalin: I play a mostly net game and I really like it for doubles ..as long as I set my angle on the face, track the ball right to the sweet spot the volly's always land with in a 10" diameter spot of the spot I am aiming for,

My coach use to set up used large folgers coffee cans in a few spots in each alley and would feed balls and have me volley till I hit (or landed inside of 10 cans)

on a good day I can normally 10 cans in 15-17 shots.

I have annoyed plenty opponents with my ability to volley into their feet/ankles. :)

Haha awesome... I have been thinking of getting some rings or using targets for my alley & cross court base line shots... Is the Adrenalin relatively soft as well (arm friendly).

I Heart Thomas Muster 09-27-2012 10:12 AM

I play with Babolat Tonic + 15L at 54 lbs on the mains and Babolat RPM Team on the crosses at 52 lbs and play 2-3 times a week for about one and a half to two hours each session and it takes about 4-6 weeks before the strings stop snapping back into place and I restring.

I personally don't feel B5E is easy on the arm. I used to play it in the crosses with gut mains and and tried it as a full bed at 47 lbs and it felt harsh to me compared to RPM Blast/Team strung as a full bed at the same tension.