Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Miguel Cabrera! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441304)

acura9927 09-27-2012 05:47 AM

Miguel Cabrera!

Anyone following the Detroit Tigers and Miguel Cabrea might win the triple crown? He is the most underrated player in baseball. Only seems like diehard fans know him. Go Miguel!

stringertom 09-27-2012 06:11 AM

Glad he has straightened his life out...his off-the-field troubles kept him in shackles from his HOF-type potential for a long time.

volleygirl 09-27-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acura9927 (Post 6921940)
Anyone following the Detroit Tigers and Miguel Cabrea might win the triple crown? He is the most underrated player in baseball. Only seems like diehard fans know him. Go Miguel!

Hes not underrated at all. He got 153 million 4 or 5 years ago when he signed with Detroit so hows he underrated? He may be under publicized but no way hes underrated.

acura9927 09-27-2012 09:40 AM

The guy went undrafted in 1999, his stats are insanely consistent.

LeeD 09-27-2012 10:20 AM

Is he any relation to MelkyCabrera? Former of the Giants?

hollywood9826 09-27-2012 11:36 AM

I think Melky is still of the Giants. Just not 2012 Postseason Giants.

But As far as I know there is no relation.

I hope Miguel wins the Crown. Thats one less things for Red Sox fans to talk about :)

Talking about triple crown. who are the players that have won it? And who are players that at on point in thier career had a trieple crown. Fot instance this player led the league in Homeruns, RBI, nad batting but not all in the same year. It hasnt happened much.

When Frank Robinson won his triple crown that was the only time he ever lead in any of those stats.

jmverdugo 09-27-2012 01:27 PM

oh yeah baby!, no relation with Melky, Miguel is Venezuelan and he has been under the media radar for a while, not even ESPN Deportes had too much on him 1 month ago, now he is everywhere, way to go chamo!

stringertom 09-27-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywood9826 (Post 6922686)

But As far as I know there is no relation.

I hope Miguel wins the Crown. Thats one less things for Red Sox fans to talk about :)

Talking about triple crown. who are the players that have won it? And who are players that at on point in thier career had a trieple crown. Fot instance this player led the league in Homeruns, RBI, nad batting but not all in the same year. It hasnt happened much.

When Frank Robinson won his triple crown that was the only time he ever lead in any of those stats.

Yaz followed the very next year with his one-and-only top numbers in HRs and RBIs and his second of three batting titles. Interesting, too, Yaz never led the majors in average. Also interesting...the all-time HR leader, Henry Aaron (sorry, Barry, you cheated) also never led the majors in HRs in a season. Each of the three years he led the NL, an AL slugger outdid him.

Steve Dykstra 09-29-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acura9927 (Post 6921940)

Definitely not underrated. Great player, but I would say overrated because he is 1 dimensional. He is the baseball version of Raonic.

Dedans Penthouse 09-29-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywood9826 (Post 6922686)

What's more, Melky didn't so much as reach out to say goodbye to any of his team mates; he just cleaned out his locker and left (kind of a douchebag move).

Reportedly, many of his San Francisco Giant team mates were quite turned off by it and there were repots (ESPN) of them considering not to vote him in for a "playoff share" ($). Giants manager Bruce Bochy announced that Cabrara is not in their post-season plans, saying "we've moved on."

Detroit's (Miguel) Cabrara on the other hand is the real deal (no PED's)....and could be definitely be headed for the Hall of Fame when all is said and done.

update: hit his 43rd HR, tying Josh Hamilton.

Mike Bulgakov 09-29-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dedans Penthouse (Post 6926803)
What's more, Melky didn't so much as reach out to say goodbye to any of his team mates; he just cleaned out his locker and left (kind of a douchebag move).

Reportedly, many of his San Francisco Giant team mates were quite turned off by it and there were repots (ESPN) of them considering not to vote him in for a "playoff share" ($). Giants manager Bruce Bochy announced that Cabrara is not in their post-season plans, saying "we've moved on."

Who will console the "Melk Maids"?

Moose Malloy 10-02-2012 01:03 PM

with 2 games left, is this now a sure thing? would any "o-fers" lower his average that much?

Talker 10-02-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose Malloy (Post 6931817)
with 2 games left, is this now a sure thing? would any "o-fers" lower his average that much?

Not a sure thing, he only leads the home run race by 1.

The batting average is looking good for Cabrera and the RBI looks to be in the bag.

This triple crown is very rare and harder than winning the grand slam in difficulty.

stringertom 10-02-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talker (Post 6932410)

This triple crown is very rare and harder than winning the grand slam in difficulty.

It is hard...none since '67 but that was the second year in a row someone did it. We never had back-to-back Grand Slam winners and there's only been two in history. With three surfaces to contend on, the Slam is harder to achieve.

Meanwhile, Cabrera is not a lock to win MVP...Mike Trout has had an incredible year too!

Moose Malloy 10-03-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

I assume he would still win the triple crown if he finishes tied with Hamilton in home runs. It seems unlikely that Hamilton will hit 2 home runs today, with the A's putting a hot pitcher on the mound.

Big_Dangerous 10-03-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talker (Post 6932410)

The batting average is looking good for Cabrera and the RBI looks to be in the bag.

Yeah the only real way Mike Trout can catch Cabrera is if he goes like 4 for 4 or 5 for 5 at the plate and Cabrera ends up 0-2 or 0-3. I don't think the Tigers are going to give him much more than 2 at bats maybe 3 today, so it seems batting average is a lock.

The RBIs are a lock too as he has an 11 run lead which means for anyone to catch him they would have to have something beyond a career day.

Gonna come down to the homers, but I think he'll win it because Oakland actually has a division title to play for which means they'll want anyone but Josh Hamilton to beat them.

Big_Dangerous 10-03-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stringertom (Post 6932560)
It is hard...none since '67 but that was the second year in a row someone did it. We never had back-to-back Grand Slam winners and there's only been two in history. With three surfaces to contend on, the Slam is harder to achieve.

Meanwhile, Cabrera is not a lock to win MVP...Mike Trout has had an incredible year too!

Which is just ridiculous because if you do something that hasn't been done in baseball in 45 years that's not dubious, but in fact, the furthest thing from it, how the hell do you not win the MVP? I mean you're talking about the 3 biggest statistical categories we use to evaluate offensive players for consideration of the MVP, and this guy leads all 3 of those categories..

Not to mention he did it playing for a winning team, while Mike Trout played for an Angels team that never really got it going this year.. Hard to believe when you consider all of that, Miggy Cabrera isn't anything but a lock to win the MVP.

Ronaldo 10-03-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_Dangerous (Post 6933304)
Which is just ridiculous because if you do something that hasn't been done in baseball in 45 years that's not dubious, but in fact, the furthest thing from it, how the hell do you not win the MVP? I mean you're talking about the 3 biggest statistical categories we use to evaluate offensive players for consideration of the MVP, and this guy leads all 3 of those categories..

Not to mention he did it playing for a winning team, while Mike Trout played for an Angels team that never really got it going this year.. Hard to believe when you consider all of that, Miggy Cabrera isn't anything but a lock to win the MVP.

Hope Miguel and the Tigers have a dry celebration

Moose Malloy 10-03-2012 09:58 AM

Quote:

Not to mention he did it playing for a winning team, while Mike Trout played for an Angels team that never really got it going this year..
Angels had a better record than Tigers.

from http://sports.yahoo.com/news/10-degr...vp-season.html

Quote:

You know what matters? Mike Trout is hitting .321/.395/.557 with 30 home runs, 48 stolen bases in 52 attempts and plays center field better than anyone in the major leagues. He beats you with his bat, with his legs and with his glove. There is no exact way to measure whether that beats Cabrera's advantage with the bat. But Trout is close enough to Cabrera .325/.390/.601 with 43 home runs that anybody who values the havoc Trout wreaks on the basepaths (and not just stealing bases but taking extra ones) and the enormous advantage on defense (Gold Glove-caliber center fielder to below-average third baseman) surely would believe it not only makes up for it but also exceeds it.
Quote:

Oh, and the Angels are two games better than the Tigers in a far tougher division. Their run differential is +28 over Detroit's. Detroit gets to play 18 games against Kansas City, Minnesota and Cleveland. The Angels had Texas and Oakland for 19, plus more against Baltimore and Tampa Bay.
Quote:

We know runs batted in are teammate- and lineup-dependent statistics that Mike Trout, batting leadoff, is far less likely to get RBI opportunities than Miguel Cabrera, hitting third. And that's true: Cabrera leads the AL in at-bats with runners in scoring position, with 173. Trout has 106. And their numbers are awfully close, with Cabrera's OPS at .997 and Trout's at .939.

stringertom 10-03-2012 10:42 AM

^^^I think Cabrera will win the MVP bcoz the writers who vote on the awards will be content to make Trout their unanimous Rookie of the Year, much the same way pitchers are not often MVP candidates and relievers are seldom Cy Young winners. The ROY award is a done deal!