Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Who will end the year as number 1? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441343)

RogerFan1991 09-27-2012 11:57 AM

Who will end the year as number 1?
 
Hi, im new on this forum, i've been reading the threads but never post before, this is my first post, and i dedided to make in a new thread.

I want to know who you think will end the year as number 1, just two options: Federer or Djokovic?
If we take look at points to defend, the favourite is Nole, but this is Rogers best part of the season....so its quite a close fight between these two.

forzamilan90 09-27-2012 12:37 PM

Want Fed to get #1, but aware that Fed probably won't replicate last season's greatness, so I figure Djokovic as long as he doesn't surprise with some shock losses should get the #1

NadalAgassi 09-27-2012 01:49 PM

I am thinking Federer. Djokovic doesnt typically shine in this part of the year.

raphMODE 09-27-2012 02:20 PM

Just to make it clear, as I'm not sure...
Is the "Year End #1" determinated by the general ATP ranking, or by the ATP RACE ranking ?

Nostradamus 09-27-2012 02:20 PM

Murray is already #1 in most sports critics poll.

Prisoner of Birth 09-27-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raphMODE (Post 6922997)
Just to make it clear, as I'm not sure...
Is the "Year End #1" determinated by the general ATP ranking, or by the ATP RACE ranking ?

Race.

10chars

raphMODE 09-27-2012 02:32 PM

thanks !

The Bawss 09-27-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raphMODE (Post 6922997)
Just to make it clear, as I'm not sure...
Is the "Year End #1" determinated by the general ATP ranking, or by the ATP RACE ranking ?

At the end of the year, the race rankings = the normal rankings.

Prisoner of Birth 09-27-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bawss (Post 6923031)
At the end of the year, the race rankings = the normal rankings.

Yeah, this. But the race gives the better idea on who's more likely to finish the year as #1.

RF20Lennon 09-27-2012 02:49 PM

want fed probably nole BUT!! In the last 8 years!! whoever has won wimby has gone on to finish the year as #1 so hopefully its fed!!!

r2473 09-27-2012 02:57 PM

Djokovic

....

timnz 09-27-2012 03:54 PM

Same thing
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by raphMODE (Post 6922997)
Just to make it clear, as I'm not sure...
Is the "Year End #1" determinated by the general ATP ranking, or by the ATP RACE ranking ?

ATP ranking is derived from points accumulated over the last 52 weeks. ATP RACE ranking is derived from points earned since 01-JAN this year. Obviously on the 31st of December these two ranking systems exactly match (because the 52 weeks before the 31st of December was the 01-JAN).

Never liked the RACE rankings. Basically if the number 200 player in the world won an event in the first week of JAnuary - and the top players didn't play that week then that player would be the number 1 in the RACE.

raphMODE 09-27-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timnz (Post 6923103)
ATP ranking is derived from points accumulated over the last 52 weeks. ATP RACE ranking is derived from points earned since 01-JAN this year. Obviously on the 31st of December these two ranking systems exactly match (because the 52 weeks before the 31st of December was the 01-JAN).

Wow... I simply didn't think that those 2 rankings match at the end of the year... and well it's just obvious !!
Thank you for that answer :)

Ripster 09-27-2012 06:05 PM

Djokovic. Federer has way more points to defend and it sounds like he's going to skip the Asian swing.

raphMODE 09-27-2012 06:57 PM

There's about 1000pts separate them (after last year points drop : 3000 for Fed, 560 for Djoko)

Do you think it will be that hard for Fed to fill the gap, considering how good he is indoor ?

NadalAgassi 09-27-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ripster (Post 6923330)
Djokovic. Federer has way more points to defend and it sounds like he's going to skip the Asian swing.

I would be surprised if he does that. This is his last real chance ever to grab a share of the year end #1 rankings record. Federer has always been motivated by records. He wont let a chance like this pass without giving it his all to get it.

Sabratha 09-27-2012 07:04 PM

Where's Murray on the list?

NadalAgassi 09-27-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sabratha (Post 6923457)
Where's Murray on the list?

Murray is over 3000 points behind Djokovic on the ATP Race (which will be the year end rankings at year end). He has virtually no chance. It would require him not only sweeping the fall indoor season and winning every event he is in (possible I suppose, though unlikely) but Djokovic going something like 2-6 the rest of the year including the WTF. That isnt even to mention the 2000 Race points he is behind Federer.

Djokovic and Federer would both have to suffer a huge injury and not play another tournament the rest of the year, and would still leave Murray with a tough task.

Sabratha 09-27-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 6923478)
Murray is over 3000 points behind Djokovic on the ATP Race (which will be the year end rankings at year end). He has virtually no chance. It would require him not only sweeping the fall indoor season and winning every event he is in (possible I suppose, though unlikely) but Djokovic going something like 2-6 the rest of the year including the WTF. That isnt even to mention the 2000 Race points he is behind Federer.

Djokovic and Federer would both have to suffer a huge injury and not play another tournament the rest of the year, and would still leave Murray with a tough task.

Don't count him out.

RF20Lennon 09-27-2012 07:38 PM

Not me unfortunately :(


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse