Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Shoes and Apparel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Nike Grand Slam Pique Polos? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441363)

SoCalJay 09-27-2012 06:11 PM

Nike Grand Slam Pique Polos?

Does anyone know anything about these:

It looks like TW used to carry them...

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Nike...IKE-NMGSP.html

..but doesn't any more. I wear a lot of Banana Republic polos casually and for work but I like the look of this and really want to find out where I can buy a few. Thanks for any info!

Borrelli 09-27-2012 07:01 PM

Ya, they're awesome. Classic pique cotton, none of that poly bull crap. I pick them up on sale all the time for less then $40. They fit quite slim and a touch on the longer side, good if you taller. I size up one and it fits perfect. Nike sells them on their website or the auction site.

MAXXply 09-28-2012 12:32 AM

How hard can it be to find this product? As a mainstream Nike product it's one of the easiest items to buy online, especially if you're from the U.S. Certainly the most ubiquitous?

This is my go-to polo shirt and has replaced all other polo shirt brands in my casual wardrobe. I'm a 100cm chest and take a size Large which by their labelling fits up to a 105cm chest. I wouldn't say it is a Slimfit - it's somewhere between Slim and Regular fit and to me, provides a good range of movement without being too restrictive around the back or shoulders. The shorter sleeve is a nice touch and doesn't make you look like a golfer (or Tony Soprano).

The slight Slimfit means it sits well untucked or tucked in. I know there is a school of thought that says polos should never be tucked in, and certainly the minimal shirt tail and bottom hem logo on the Grand Slam means it isn't really meant to be worn tucked in. But I find a black or navy, oops, "Obsidian" shirt worn tucked with smart belt and trousers looks the business for smart business casual.

The Pinwheel logo is a stylish touch and a great adaptation of the conventional Swoosh logo. It's a subtle alternative to a crocodile or pony logo on your chest. I like how no one can easily identify it.

Note that the pique cotton shirt is Made in China - there is also a standard cotton version (non-pique construction) that is made in Vietnam that is labelled a size down from the pique version - i.e, the Vietnam size Large is labelled chest size 100cm. (John McEnroe wore one while commentating for Aussie TV this year and he looked great in it)

You may have seen that Nike also produces a "Summerized" Grand Slam range, presumably of lighter weight cotton.

Note also Nike produces another 100% cotton polo shirt line, the Athletic Dept range (AD Club line). These shirts are a beefier cotton knit which I reserve for cooler weather. With these, I take a size Medium to achieve a similar fitted look to the Large Grand Slam.

Any further questions just ask. Cheers.

Borrelli 09-28-2012 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXXply (Post 6923719)
How hard can it be to find this product? As a mainstream Nike product it's one of the easiest items to buy online, especially if you're from the U.S. Certainly the most ubiquitous?

This is my go-to polo shirt and has replaced all other polo shirt brands in my casual wardrobe. I'm a 100cm chest and take a size Large which by their labelling fits up to a 105cm chest. I wouldn't say it is a Slimfit - it's somewhere between Slim and Regular fit and to me, provides a good range of movement without being too restrictive around the back or shoulders. The shorter sleeve is a nice touch and doesn't make you look like a golfer (or Tony Soprano).

The slight Slimfit means it sits well untucked or tucked in. I know there is a school of thought that says polos should never be tucked in, and certainly the minimal shirt tail and bottom hem logo on the Grand Slam means it isn't really meant to be worn tucked in. But I find a black or navy, oops, "Obsidian" shirt worn tucked with smart belt and trousers looks the business for smart business casual.

The Pinwheel logo is a stylish touch and a great adaptation of the conventional Swoosh logo. It's a subtle alternative to a crocodile or pony logo on your chest. I like how no one can easily identify it.

Note that the pique cotton shirt is Made in China - there is also a standard cotton version (non-pique construction) that is made in Vietnam that is labelled a size down from the pique version - i.e, the Vietnam size Large is labelled chest size 100cm. (John McEnroe wore one while commentating for Aussie TV this year and he looked great in it)

You may have seen that Nike also produces a "Summerized" Grand Slam range, presumably of lighter weight cotton.

Note also Nike produces another 100% cotton polo shirt line, the Athletic Dept range (AD Club line). These shirts are a beefier cotton knit which I reserve for cooler weather. With these, I take a size Medium to achieve a similar fitted look to the Large Grand Slam.

Any further questions just ask. Cheers.

As surprising as it sounds, Nike doesn't make them all that accessible. Maybe because they want to push their other poly type sport polo's? but I have a pretty hard time finding them when not in season. One would think they would expand the range due to popularity? And they are quite slim fitting, I don't have to size up in any other brand but these.

MAXXply 09-28-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borrelli (Post 6924250)
As surprising as it sounds, Nike doesn't make them all that accessible. Maybe because they want to push their other poly type sport polo's? but I have a pretty hard time finding them when not in season.

I know what you mean, I was thinking the same whilst trying to find a plain black Destroyer wool jacket. Somewhere in Nike HQ is a sales and distribution department laughing their evil laughs and thinking up new ways to generate demand and limit supply and supply channels.

SoCalJay 09-28-2012 05:24 PM

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I already looked at the Nike site and all they have in the solid color is white in ONE size (XXL) which isn't going to work. They have the tipped version also in white but also not in my size (L). All they have in a large is the striped version and, while it's interesting, it's not really what I'm looking for.

I was hoping I could just log on and buy several different colors like I have with Banana Republic, Lacoste, and Burberry. Evidently that's not the case... Anyhow, thanks for the responses and the feedback about the quality and fit. I'll continue my quest!

INHUMANU 09-30-2012 02:16 AM

http://www.*********tennis.com/prodi...2&BRAND=9&SS=1

You have it in several colours here..comes from the UK though.

INHUMANU 09-30-2012 02:16 AM

http://www.*********tennis.com/prodi...2&BRAND=9&SS=1

You have it in several colours here..comes from the UK though. I have them in gray, green and blue and they are great polos.

INHUMANU 09-30-2012 02:20 AM

*********tennis

NJ1 09-30-2012 09:08 AM

re sizing, if you're an M in a Federer polo would you be an M in these?