Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Tipping etiquette (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441392)

NineMileSkid 09-28-2012 05:16 AM

Tipping etiquette

I paid $15.00 plus tax to have a racquest strung yesterday at a retail establishment. (I supplied the strings.)

The kid who strung it always does a nice job with my sticks, and gets them done in a few hours so I can pick them up on my way home from work.

I tipped him $2.00 yesterday. It was the first time I tipped him and he has probably strung 10 raquets for me.

Was that a little tight? I feel now that I should have given him a fin.

Sentinel 09-28-2012 05:48 AM

Isn't the labour/ service charge added into the bill, or the amount he quotes you? That's how it works wherever I've strung.

You could ask Drakulie or StringerTom, though.

Bowtiesarecool 09-28-2012 05:56 AM

Since it's not a food service job that pays the kid $2/hour, giving him a tip isn't a must-give-15% type of situation. Personally, I tip $5 as a minimum for good service.

On a side note, I wish the retail stores around me (SA and D***'s) had that kind of fast service. I went to one and they said it'd take 5-7 days to get my racquet back.

NineMileSkid 09-28-2012 05:57 AM

I know it is not a must. I just was again happy with his service, and he seems like a nice kid.

ollinger 09-28-2012 05:58 AM

Maybe the tipping thing has gone far enough. Seems like half the stores I go into lately have a tip box at the counter. I think I'll put one in my office with a sign "If you enjoyed the Adderal, please feel free to show your appreciation."

krz 09-28-2012 07:01 AM

I've actually never heard of tipping the stringer.

I tip waitresses, delivery people, barber, cab drivers, and the doorman during the holidays. That's it.

I'd agree with olli the whole tipping everybody thing is getting a little ridiculous.

tenniscasey 09-28-2012 07:14 AM

I'm glad you posted this thread. I've had the same question about tipping tennis coaches.

I've never thought I need to, but I was recently in a conversation when one of the guys I play with mentioned he tips his coach regularly.

TahoeTennis 09-28-2012 07:30 AM

Give the kid a 20 everytime, especially since he does a nice job.

El Diablo 09-28-2012 07:40 AM

Tip the OWNER of the place. The new mantra is more money in the hands of the Job Creators.

sureshs 09-28-2012 07:42 AM

Stringers are not tipped, as far as I have seen.

sureshs 09-28-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6923878)
Isn't the labour/ service charge added into the bill, or the amount he quotes you? That's how it works wherever I've strung.

You could ask Drakulie or StringerTom, though.

I thought you didn't play tennis?

sureshs 09-28-2012 07:45 AM

You can always tip $1 like Sampras

sureshs 09-28-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenniscasey (Post 6924003)
I'm glad you posted this thread. I've had the same question about tipping tennis coaches.

I've never thought I need to, but I was recently in a conversation when one of the guys I play with mentioned he tips his coach regularly.

No way........

krz 09-28-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Diablo (Post 6924059)
Tip the OWNER of the place. The new mantra is more money in the hands of the Job Creators.

Error 404 Funny Not Found.

But, nice to see you can turn a completely unrelated topic into a political statement.

r2473 09-28-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollinger (Post 6923895)
Maybe the tipping thing has gone far enough. Seems like half the stores I go into lately have a tip box at the counter. I think I'll put one in my office with a sign "If you enjoyed the Adderal, please feel free to show your appreciation."

As evidenced by this thread, tipping etiquette is undefined in our culture.

Therefore, people in the (food) service industry are taking advantage of this to try to get a bit more money. Not surprising, some customers feel they "should" put something in the tip jar.

True, others are silently angry that "tipping is out of control" and REFUSE to put anything in these tip jars. So what. Nothing lost for the worker.

On a bit of a side note, some of these kids are getting aggressive with demanding tips. I ordered a carryout pizza (from Pappa Johns) a while back and the kid behind the counter made if fairly clear that he expected a tip for ringing up my order.

stringertom 09-28-2012 09:54 AM

The situation you described is not a standard type of transaction like table service at a restaurant. If I'm the guy behind the machine and not an owner/stringer of a shop, any gratuity would be a nice bonus for that extra quick, reliable turnaround. A better and more appreciated gesture might be to match the service fee from time to time, obviously less frequently to make it more impactful while still not jacking your cost up too badly.

When stringing at pro events, I have often received a little bonus but the best extras I received were from guys leaving for the next tour stop who would give a few sticks to do on their way out of town. That's a win/win for them and me!

SoBad 09-28-2012 05:06 PM

Tipping calculations are often very difficult, especially for white people in a Chinese restaurant. Sometimes merchants make it easy though, like the other day I went for a massage, and he was like - one hour massage is 80 and the tip is 20, so I just knew to give him a hundred right away lmao...

monkey-ranch 09-28-2012 09:55 PM

A good tip is always welcome. I think that is a way of thanking the person for doing a good job. I usually tip according to the final bill but always generously, thats good karma. Stringers can be tipped just like waiters, valet guys and tattoo artists.

Radicalized 09-28-2012 11:49 PM

I rarely post here, but my hot button was hit. First, we really have to evaluate the compensation structure. Tipping has become rampant. Those who are already compensated a reasonable amount for their services are now asking for tips. I'm not going to break all of this down or go into a detail-by-detail rant of my experiences, but I believe it is going too far. Tipping more or less based on performance for "traditional" tipped services is fine. This idea of tipping for a good job (unless you want to help someone out on a personal level) is absurd. There is only a good job. Anything less does not deserve business in the first place.

Before the onslaught of tipping mania, in my high school and college days, I would sometimes help an uncle out. Sometimes people would offer me a tip. I would refuse. The job could be performed one way. Anything other than meeting certain criteria is unacceptable. Compensation was pre-determined in the contract with the customer if a purchase was eventually made.

What you did was a "nice gesture." How much you wish to put out in that manner is entirely personal.

The danger is when the person who wishes to be tipped can use something as a "weapon" against you in the event they don't like your tip or lack of it.

The Bawss 09-29-2012 12:15 AM

The US is tip-crazy. Glad not to be there. HOWEVER if someone is doing a good job and I really want to thank them for it (excellent restaurant service, earlier-then-expected deliveries, amazing pizzas) then I tend to give a tip but it's only worth it if you leave an impression (positive reinforcement). I tend to give 10€ for these things.