Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Do the top Seniors in your area use the Pure Drive ? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441413)

atatu 09-28-2012 07:49 AM

Do the top Seniors in your area use the Pure Drive ?

Got my butt kicked last night by a 61yo guy (I'm 50) in doubles. He is a former tour player from Australia who now plays for the US in international competitions. He was using a Babolat Pure Drive, as do a lot of the top 50 and over guys around here. I'm always amazed by that, I thought the frame was for younger guys, but now I'm seriously thinking of trying it out. Curious if this is true in other areas of the country.

yemenmocha 09-28-2012 07:56 AM

Yes I see quite a few of the better 50yr+ folks use them, and they're good.

Nostradamus 09-28-2012 08:02 AM

Why is the PD for younger guys only ? LOL. because it is harsh on the arm ?
FYI, PD has ton of power and control is pretty good so i think it is perfect racket for older guys in high level.

Not all old guys use Big Bubba. So how fast did this old guy serve ?

he must have been getting pretty good pop still with this racket. and what was he doing to you that was so good that he was kicking your butt ? Figure that out and maybe you can learn from it and do it yourself too.

atatu 09-28-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 6924213)
Why is the PD for younger guys only ? LOL. because it is harsh on the arm ?
FYI, PD has ton of power and control is pretty good so i think it is perfect racket for older guys in high level.

Not all old guys use Big Bubba. So how fast did this old guy serve ?

he must have been getting pretty good pop still with this racket. and what was he doing to you that was so good that he was kicking your butt ? Figure that out and maybe you can learn from it and do it yourself too.

Yeah, because it's pretty tough on the arm, I did try the GT version briefly and it felt pretty harsh, which is why I'm surprised when I see older guys using the frame. I use a Donnay Pro One myself, and even then I have to be careful with my strings.

ced 09-28-2012 08:23 AM

Do the top Seniors in your area use the Pure Drive ?

Don't believe anyone in my group does. Mostly Head, Wilson and Prince plus a few Pro Kennex (like me).

Nastase 09-28-2012 08:42 AM

Theres a mix in my group...a few do use the PD, but several have played with that racquet and have since moved back to thinner beam racquets and have just moved up in head size to accomodate for aging. I have tried several iterations and while I could easily play with it, I dont. I dont find the PD to be as powerful as folks say...but did find it easy to play with in general since it has a big sweet spot, open pattern etc...comfort was ok, no arm issues for me. Preference dictates.

Hi I'm Ray 09-28-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atatu (Post 6924230)
Yeah, because it's pretty tough on the arm, I did try the GT version briefly and it felt pretty harsh, which is why I'm surprised when I see older guys using the frame. I use a Donnay Pro One myself, and even then I have to be careful with my strings.

The seniors here use granny sticks. Some are actually pretty good players. The PDGT was pretty harsh but the 2012 is noticeably easier on my arm. Poly can make even the soft flexy rackets feel harsh (depending on the string & tension) but IMO you can just avoid poly altogether as tweeners can play just fine multis. If you want to play it on the safe side with your arm health, the Organix V1 mp (it might need some lead) comes close to PD in power and is very comfy, the PD 107 is also quite easy on the arm and is even more powerful than the PD.

jorel 09-28-2012 08:56 AM

wasnt laver using one

Hi I'm Ray 09-28-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jorel (Post 6924306)
wasnt laver using one

Was he really using a PD? When I met him at TW many years ago he was hitting with a PK, kind of the opposite of the PD

Nostradamus 09-28-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atatu (Post 6924230)

put on Gamma pro RX replacement grip. it will feel like you are hitting with dunlop 200 g racket

Larrysümmers 09-28-2012 09:33 AM

yup. some older guy. 70ish, strings it up with "cat gut". he may foot fault everytime, but what a wicked slice serve, and nice little drop shots. i played with it once, nicht schlect.

IA-SteveB 09-28-2012 09:58 AM

At my club, I haven't seen anyone above 30 but myself using a PDGT. Wilson flavors are everywhere.

LeeD 09-28-2012 03:55 PM

67 year old guy who lost in the finals of the local 65's here uses a old WilsonProStaff 85, redirects the ball with a flat short stroke, seldom hits deeper than the service line, and keeps it close to 3' of the sidelines. He makes everyone run forwards to field his low short angles.
Beat me 0 and 0 in singles.

Rozroz 09-28-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostradamus (Post 6924389)
put on Gamma pro RX replacement grip. it will feel like you are hitting with dunlop 200 g racket

this is interesting.. can you tell some more?

recreationalplayer 09-28-2012 05:48 PM

I am 55, use a 110sq inch PD w/ Tonic 16g string and love the combination. I have added lead tape to the handle and frame & serve as well as 4.0's where I live, if not a little better on a good day. In the area of NC where I live, the "Piemont," the PD is used by male players of all ages with the possible exception of age 70 and above.

LeeD 09-28-2012 05:50 PM

At 55, your serving should not be impaired by age too greatly.
Now try again at 63, with multiple shoulder injuries.

McLovin 09-28-2012 06:06 PM

While not a top senior, my father, who is 75, has used the PD 110 for many years now.

What I see more of are the Aero Pure Drives. In fact, I believe Pavel Slozil (who is the pro at World Tennis Center in Naples where my parents live) uses the Aero Pure Drive.

PBODY99 09-28-2012 06:27 PM

Yes a few who are not local teaching pros do. At the 45-50 Grass Courts I noticed more this year than in 2010, many had switched from Prince port frames.

Nostradamus 09-28-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rozroz (Post 6925322)
this is interesting.. can you tell some more?

i was introduced to it few month ago by local pro. He also had some arm problems and dampener wasn't helping. so he put on this Gamma pro RX grip with built in vibration dampening cushion system. and all his pain went away.

BruceG 09-28-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atatu (Post 6924185)
Got my butt kicked last night by a 61yo guy (I'm 50) in doubles. He is a former tour player from Australia who now plays for the US in international competitions. He was using a Babolat Pure Drive, as do a lot of the top 50 and over guys around here. I'm always amazed by that, I thought the frame was for younger guys, but now I'm seriously thinking of trying it out. Curious if this is true in other areas of the country.

A lot of the 50+ guys at our club use it and I've seen the same thing when I've been travelling here and overseas. But is it really such a big surprise? Remember how many really good players used the Wilson Profile or some extended length wide-body back in the 90's. Those things had crazy power and I find the Pure Drive a whole lot easier to control. That 61 year old guy probably hit the Profile back in the day, liked the power but couldn't control it. Now he gets almost the same bang with a whole lot more control.