Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Head rip control hybrid (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441448)

swfh 09-28-2012 12:22 PM

Head rip control hybrid

I have have of a set of head rip control lying around, and I need a recommendation on what to hybrid it with. I want to use it in the mains, but I am unsure of what to use in the crosses. Should I use poly, or syn gut?
Help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Ramon 09-28-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swfh (Post 6924762)
I have have of a set of head rip control lying around, and I need a recommendation on what to hybrid it with. I want to use it in the mains, but I am unsure of what to use in the crosses. Should I use poly, or syn gut?
Thanks.

I've tried RIP Control mains with poly crosses. It lasted about 7 hours. Full bed RIP lasts me 12-18 hours. Syngut will also shorten it's life, but it will still last longer than the poly hybrid. Multi will last the longest. My favorite cross was Dunlop Hexy Fiber. Prince Premier Attack was also pretty good.

Tennisguy3000 09-28-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6924877)
I've tried RIP Control mains with poly crosses. It lasted about 7 hours. Full bed RIP lasts me 12-18 hours. Syngut will also shorten it's life, but it will still last longer than the poly hybrid. Multi will last the longest. My favorite cross was Dunlop Hexy Fiber. Prince Premier Attack was also pretty good.

Hi Ramon, Can you give some more details about the full bed of RIP Control. Was it easy on your arms/tennis elbow & how did it play?

Thinking of trying these out next, thanks ;-)

Some reviews here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/feedback-RCON16.html

Ramon 09-28-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennisguy3000 (Post 6925013)
Hi Ramon, Can you give some more details about the full bed of RIP Control. Was it easy on your arms/tennis elbow & how did it play?

Thinking of trying these out next, thanks ;-)

Some reviews here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/feedback-RCON16.html

I thought RIP Control felt muted, harsh, and stiff for a multi. I was surprised when it didn't hurt my arm. It's more arm-friendly than it feels. Compared to your typical multi, it has more spin and control. Volleys were very crisp. Touch was a bit of a problem for me because they would tend to land short, but using a multi cross like Hexy or PPA solves that problem completely. It tends to get mushy after about 10 hours. It's still playable at that point, but cutting it is a viable option. Most multis would have broken on me by that time anyway.

Tennisguy3000 09-28-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6925031)
I thought RIP Control felt muted, harsh, and stiff for a multi. I was surprised when it didn't hurt my arm. It's more arm-friendly than it feels. Compared to your typical multi, it has more spin and control. Volleys were very crisp. Touch was a bit of a problem for me because they would tend to land short, but using a multi cross like Hexy or PPA solves that problem completely. It tends to get mushy after about 10 hours. It's still playable at that point, but cutting it is a viable option. Most multis would have broken on me by that time anyway.

Awesome, thanks for your detailed experience Ramon. Much appreciated. I may give them a go ;-)

tinyman 09-30-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swfh (Post 6924762)
Thanks.

For what it's worth, I would use a multifilament first, or a soft syngut if not - I've found once the outer layer of RIP Control has shredded, you're pretty much done for. I use the 17g RIP Control, and took a try with a poly cross - 2 hours, give or take. With syngut, it was a reasonable lifetime, and with a multifilament it seems to really hold out. At least with the thinner gauge string, I could not use it with a poly (smooth).

Samo 10-01-2012 12:36 AM

I hybrid Rip Control 1.30 mains, with Sonic Pro 1.25 crosses on Prestige IG MP (25/24kg). This set up last for me only 3-4 hours but it plays phenomenally.

With this set up you get plenty of feel, lots of spin (not as much as full poly), you can flatten it out, great for offense and even better on the defense, volleys, slices and touch shots are superb. Basically I didn't find any downside to this set-up except the durability.

coolblue123 10-02-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6925031)

Would love to try Hexy mains and RIP on cross. One of the things I wish RIP could do better in was have more power and bite like Hexy. But Hexy has alittle more power than I like.
I'll try it in my next setup with 17g and see what happens. I think it's going to be a good hybrid. But i think one of the issues I'll be having is tension lost will be pretty fast as both are not as good in that area.

Ramon 10-02-2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolblue123 (Post 6931069)
Would love to try Hexy mains and RIP on cross. One of the things I wish RIP could do better in was have more power and bite like Hexy. But Hexy has alittle more power than I like.
I'll try it in my next setup with 17g and see what happens. I think it's going to be a good hybrid. But i think one of the issues I'll be having is tension lost will be pretty fast as both are not as good in that area.

Is your evaluation of tension loss subjective or based on measurements? Based on my measurements using RacquetTune, RIP Control has great tension maintenance (even better than Klip Legend natural gut, believe it or not). Hexy loses a little more, but it's still quite good for a multi. Maybe your strings aren't tight enough? I know there are a lot of places that rush through their string jobs and can be off by 10 pounds or more. I've seen that with my own measurements.

If you're a string breaker, you might want to reconsider putting Hexy in the mains. It's by far the less durable of the two.

coolblue123 10-02-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6931091)
Is your evaluation of tension loss subjective or based on measurements? Based on my measurements using RacquetTune, RIP Control has great tension maintenance (even better than Klip Legend natural gut, believe it or not). Hexy loses a little more, but it's still quite good for a multi. Maybe your strings aren't tight enough? I know there are a lot of places that rush through their string jobs and can be off by 10 pounds or more. I've seen that with my own measurements.

If you're a string breaker, you might want to reconsider putting Hexy in the mains. It's by far the less durable of the two.

Personal feel mainly on RIP. But I do agree that Hexy does lose alot faster. Thanks for the idea on hexy/RIP hybrid. Looking forward to trying it out.

sansaephanh 10-02-2012 12:40 PM

I like this thread. Two strings I'm probably planning on playing with for a while.

How does the 17g hexy feel compared to the 16? is it as dramatic as comparing HRC 16 vs 17? Seeing as I tried both strings in 16, i've been really wanting to try the 17.

My next reel will probably one of three: BHBR17, DHF 17, or HRC 17.

swfh 10-02-2012 01:11 PM

I ended up stringing up the half set with bhbr crosses at 57/52. It is great for volleys, and hits a beautiful flat ball. Not great for topspin. It might be a bit too low powered, but that can be solved by lowering the tension.

GS 10-02-2012 01:31 PM

I tried my 2 favorite strings for a hybrid---Rip Control 17 and Mantis Comfort. For some reason, it felt lousy. Never again.

mikeler 10-02-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS (Post 6931858)
I tried my 2 favorite strings for a hybrid---Rip Control 17 and Mantis Comfort. For some reason, it felt lousy. Never again.

I tried that hybrid with RIP 16 mains/MCS crosses and it was bad. Then I tried it in reverse and it was good but only lasted 2 sets.

coloskier 10-03-2012 01:43 PM

I use Solinco Tour Bite 18 on the mains and RIP 17 on the crosses at 52# and easily get 10-12 hours on the string. The RIP crosses always break first. Lots of spin with plenty of comfort. I have had TE in the past and my elbow feels fine with this hybrid.

Chesnokov 10-05-2012 06:50 AM

My experience with Rip Control in hybrids is that it works much better in the mains. As a cross string it tends to get sawed through and once those outer ribbon wrappings are gone the string is toast. Even with full bed Rip Control 17, this tends to happen after about 8-10 hours to me in a IG Rad Pro at 55 lbs.

One other thing with using Rip Control in hybrids with poly mains is that as the poly is dying, if you don't cut it out and cut your losses, the muted aspect of Rip Control makes the stringbed feel completely dead to the extent that hitting a ball is just not a good feeling at all.

My last few string jobs have been Rip Control 17 mains and C3 Rocket 17 cross both at 55 lbs. The C3 Rocket adds a little crispness, a little more power and a little more spin vs. Full bed Rip Control and string movement is less as well. C3 rocket, like the Intellitour cross Rip Feel, utilizes ribbon construction, but unlike Rip Feel has a monofilament core, so the above hybrid plays like a slightly stiffer version of Intellitour. I'm sure the same effect could be had with a similarly constructed cross string.

Chesnokov 10-05-2012 07:11 AM

Having said that, I must concur with coloskier's Tour Bite/Rip Control hybrid. Amazing spin, especially that late breaking diveball spin that seemingly makes your every shot somehow find the court. My arm/shoulder just wasn't made for poly strings, unfortunately.