Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Former Pro Player Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Favorite player feuds? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441473)

Gonzalito17 09-28-2012 03:21 PM

Favorite player feuds?

This era there aren't many aside from Almagro-Berdych and Djokovic-Roddick but they have settled things it appears. But there used to be more bad blood between players - Woodforde-Ivanesivic talked some trash about each other. Williams-Spirlea. Hings vs. Mauresmo. Hingis vs. The Williams family. The Williams family vs. Indian Wells. McEnroe vs. Lendl. McEnroe and Connors. HEwitt vs the Argies, Chela and Coria got pretty intense. Coria and Gaudio had a row over fake injuries. To name a few. Let's talk about some of the best player fueds...
I just read where Woodforde lost to Goran in three sets at the 98 US Open and said he had no game except for a serve and that he wouldn't pay to see him play. Goran countered that Woodforde was old and had a shi77y backhand, couldn't move and always talks bad about him for some reason. Then he tried to hit him and did and didn't apologize. Then Goran served an ace on the next point. WOnder what triggered those two to go at it with such venom. Anybody know?

jaggy 09-28-2012 03:23 PM

Cash and Becker had a few handbag moments

Gonzalito17 09-28-2012 03:38 PM

Don't remember that one at all, do remember Becker and Stich playing that high stress match at Wimbledon on center court, that was a great match.

Mustard 09-28-2012 04:39 PM

Becker vs. Cash was in 1988 mostly, when Becker wanted to beat defending Wimbledon champion, Cash. Cash didn't take kindly to Becker's diving, falling over the net and chatting up a lineswoman.

A list of some tennis feuds
Ilie Nastase vs. Clark Graebner
Jimmy Connors vs. Arthur Ashe
Jimmy Connors vs. John McEnroe
Jimmy Connors vs. Ivan Lendl
John McEnroe vs. Ivan Lendl
Pat Cash vs. Ivan Lendl
Jimmy Connors vs. Andre Agassi
Ivan Lendl vs. Andre Agassi
John McEnroe vs. Bill Scanlon
John McEnroe vs. Brad Gilbert
Andre Agassi vs. Pete Sampras
Boris Becker vs. Michael Stich
Vitas Gerulaitis vs. Wojtek Fibak
Vitas Gerulaitis vs. Ivan Lendl
Thomas Muster vs. Horst Skoff
Thomas Muster vs. Brad Gilbert
Thomas Muster vs. Andre Agassi
Thomas Muster vs. Wayne Ferreira
Thomas Muster vs. Pat Cash
Guillermo Coria vs. Gaston Gaudio
Patrick Rafter vs. Pete Sampras
Jim Courier vs. Andre Agassi
Boris Becker vs. Andre Agassi
Michael Chang vs. Andre Agassi
Lleyton Hewitt vs. Yevgeny Kafelnikov
Lleyton Hewitt vs. Alex Corretja
Lleyton Hewitt vs. David Nalbandian
Lleyton Hewitt vs. Juan Ignacio Chela
Lleyton Hewitt vs. Guillermo Coria
Lleyton Hewitt vs. Jose Acasuso
Marat Safin vs. Andy Roddick
Andy Murray vs. Juan Martin del Potro
David Nalbandian vs. Tim Henman
Rafael Nadal vs. Tomas Berdych
Rafael Nadal vs. Robin Soderling

Gonzalito17 09-28-2012 04:51 PM

Nice list Mustard, I do remember Hewitt-Corretja. Hewitt killed Corretja in the Aussie Open one year like 0 0 and 1. Just a blowout. Corretja whined about it then they played again indoors and Hewitt broke Corretja in the first game and YELLED COME ON! Corretja was very pist off. Good stuff. Hewitt was rubbing it in a lil but hey, that's his fire, that's the way he plays, tough luck if you don't like it.

Gonzalito17 09-28-2012 04:52 PM

You mention a lot of feuds I wish we could hear more details about a lot of these. Great list.

Mustard 09-28-2012 05:00 PM

Here's an article on Nalbandian vs. Henman:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6068822.stm

Paul Murphy 09-28-2012 07:27 PM

I don't remember Lendl v Agassi.
I do recall Lendl describing the early incarnation of Agassi as a "haircut and a forehand".
Can someone enlighten me on this one please?

Nostradamus 09-28-2012 07:41 PM

emmm, that Roddick and Safin. Andy was mainly jealous of Safin's handsome good looks, and that was about it.

sabala 09-28-2012 08:01 PM

David Wheaton vs. Brad Gilbert

Totally thought they were gonna throw down, lol

DolgoSantoro 09-28-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Murphy (Post 6925426)
I don't remember Lendl v Agassi.
I do recall Lendl describing the early incarnation of Agassi as a "haircut and a forehand".
Can someone enlighten me on this one please?

I heard about that too, kinda ironic considering that Andre developed maybe the best backhand ever.

RF20Lennon 09-28-2012 08:22 PM

Ashe had a feud with connors??? when did this happen?

I Heart Thomas Muster 09-28-2012 09:54 PM

I had a hard time believing the Muster-Agassi feud was over a pat on the cheek and ruffling of the hair but I'll be damned if what started out a cordial meeting at the net ended with a death stare from Agassi.

Seemed like an affectionate gesture on Muster's part but maybe he was trying to be disrespectful? Either way that's one of my all time favorite matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARAmugAt7GI

Paul Murphy 09-28-2012 11:50 PM

My favourite was Lendl V Mc.
Their dislike for each other was exacerbated by their wildly different personalities and their contrasting playing styles.
Thus there were those wonderful moments when the S/Ver got nailed at the net by the baseliner.
Wonderful drama.

Paul Murphy 09-28-2012 11:54 PM

Also good to see Lleyton taking on the Argentinians en masse. :)

Gizo 09-29-2012 02:47 AM

Ancic and Capdeville clearly didn't like each other much:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbEzF3y6bUk

The Hewitt vs Argentinian player feud in 2005-2006 was a lot of fun.

I agree about Lendl-McEnroe. That is personally my favourite open era rivalry because it had everything, hatred, tension, drama, classic matches, many big matches at the most important events, swings in momentum between the two players etc.

Paul Murphy 09-29-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizo (Post 6925781)
Ancic and Capdeville clearly didn't like each other much:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbEzF3y6bUk

The Hewitt vs Argentinian player feud in 2005-2006 was a lot of fun.

I agree about Lendl-McEnroe. That is personally my favourite open era rivalry because it had everything, hatred, tension, drama, classic matches, many big matches at the most important events, swings in momentum between the two players etc.

Absolutely.
Though I do wish a few more of their biggest encounters were closer.
That would have been the icing on the cake.

treblings 09-29-2012 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Heart Thomas Muster (Post 6925619)
I had a hard time believing the Muster-Agassi feud was over a pat on the cheek and ruffling of the hair but I'll be damned if what started out a cordial meeting at the net ended with a death stare from Agassi.

Seemed like an affectionate gesture on Muster's part but maybe he was trying to be disrespectful? Either way that's one of my all time favorite matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARAmugAt7GI

story i heard was that Agassi was wearing a hair piece at the time, him going bald, and he thought that Muster was trying to expose that fact.
donīt know if thereīs truth to it

Gizo 09-29-2012 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Murphy (Post 6925795)
Absolutely.
Though I do wish a few more of their biggest encounters were closer.
That would have been the icing on the cake.

Yes you are right too many of their matches at the bigger tournaments were straight set victories for the winner.

In their Wimbledon semi in 1983 Mac was playing out of this world, and very few players in tennis history could have coped with him playing that well on grass. At that stage Lendl was pretty helpless against a far superior Mac on grass.

In their RG quarter-final in 1981, Lendl began his first period of completely dominating and overpowering Mac, and that stage Lendl was streets ahead of Mac on clay, red or green.

However at the US Open and Masters where both players were strong on the surfaces and comfortable with the settings, I wish their matches would have been more competitive. 4 out of their 5 US Open matches (including both finals) and all 4 of their Masters matches (including 3 finals) finished in straight sets.

A 5 set thriller in a US Open match and/or Masters final, to go with their classic 1984 RG and 1983 Dallas finals, would have made their rivalry even more special.

Paul Murphy 09-29-2012 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizo (Post 6925819)
Yes you are right too many of their matches at the bigger tournaments were straight set victories for the winner.

In their Wimbledon semi in 1983 Mac was playing out of this world, and very few players in tennis history could have coped with him playing that well on grass. At that stage Lendl was pretty helpless against a far superior Mac on grass.

In their RG quarter-final in 1981, Lendl began his first period of completely dominating and overpowering Mac, and that stage Lendl was streets ahead of Mac on clay, red or green.

However at the US Open and Masters where both players were strong on the surfaces and comfortable with the settings, I wish their matches would have been more competitive. 4 out of their 5 US Open matches (including both finals) and all 4 of their Masters matches (including 3 finals) finished in straight sets.

A 5 set thriller in a US Open match and/or Masters final, to go with their classic 1984 RG and 1983 Dallas finals, would have made their rivalry even more special.

Yes, some close, tension-filled matches would have put them under more pressure and that could have led to some interesting and volatile reactions, particularly from Mc.
There could have been some wonderful drama.