Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   How tight should I hold 'lighter' rackets? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441486)

JamieSafe 09-28-2012 04:49 PM

How tight should I hold 'lighter' rackets?

Little backstory, I've played with the BLX90 ever since I started tennis a few years back (not a smart choice but it was the only racket I could use given that my brother plays with them). I advanced pretty well and got most things down soon enough, however my inexperience still remained and I more than often hit outside of the small sweetspot or am a bit late when it comes to returning (although it remains the finest racket to hit one handed backhands with)

Recently I came into a bit of money of my own to spend and I narrowed it down to the Wilson K factor Surge and the Dunlop Biomimetic 500. These rackets are very similar to each other with the biggest change I noticed being the spin - simply unbelievable compared to the Tour 90. Especially on doing second serves I can hit the ball as hard as I can and it'll always go in, and usually with a much much bigger kick. With the tour90 I usually had to tone it down a bit, do more of a looser grip and even then I would still miss a second serve 1 out of 5 times

So yes, the heavy top spin is great but to achieve it I feel I have to force my swings a bit more, and especially with the grip I have to hold it a lot tighter otherwise my racket won't keep steady on contact. But with the tighter grip I can't seem to do natural swings anymore like I did with the tour 90. I used to hold this one with a lot less grip and the racket head speed would usually be enough to keep the racket steady with it's weight and/or balance

So now my question is, am I supposed to hold the K Surge tighter compared to the 6.1 90? Or are there some other tips I can use to keep that natural swing throughout, thanks! :)

esgee48 09-28-2012 05:38 PM

It may be a grip size issue. Go one size bigger and you won't have to squeeze as hard to hit with the racquet.

LeeD 09-28-2012 05:42 PM

Very good answer.
I switched to Aero500's last year. The drop in weight from my 200's is about TWO full ounces, and the SW by about 15 points.
I hold both very loosely except for hard, deep incoming balls, which I grip harder and shorten my swing.
5'11" and 150 lbs., 4 5/8 with an overgrip. Never twists unless the player I'm facing is a 5.5, at which point, I have no business hitting with him.

robbo1970 09-30-2012 01:07 PM

Good question and answer. I am poised to get the Bio 500.

I suspect its a case of adjusting the way you grip depending on the shot you play. Returning a heavy ball is bound to create the situation where a firmer grip is required, but otherwise I would try different ways of gripping to see what works. My only concern is going to a larger grip that works for some shots might not suit your all round game and overall grip comfort.

LeeD 09-30-2012 02:27 PM

And don't forget, a 500 is inherently more powerful than most other rackets (except PureDrives), has a big head size, and is easy to swing.

JamieSafe 10-01-2012 02:00 PM

Thanks for the help guys, I already noticed improvements when adding a thick overgrip :)

And robbo, I see what you mean, I have to play more with a western grip, since playing eastern is a bit more difficult now but after some practice I can go back to my old style. I guess it was mostly a matter of adjusting

And yes, the 500 is definitely a great racket! Services are much much more exploding and returning goes quite a bit better (faster). Only with my 1hbh I had some trouble with short strokes, but I believe this is also a case of just gripping it a bit more