Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   would pulling the strings twice be better than pre stretching? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441516)

2ndServe 09-29-2012 05:00 AM

would pulling the strings twice be better than pre stretching?

if I pulled the string then released it and pulled it again would this be better than pre stretching?

drakulie 09-29-2012 05:07 AM

No. Just different. That said, if you do this on the crosses, you will achieve a tighter string bed.

2ndServe 09-29-2012 05:39 AM

ok thx, I actually like as boardy a feel as I can get. I string kevlar mains at 70lbs and skip the outer mains like you did at one time. I'm wondering how high I can go before I stress the frame too much.

Irvin 09-29-2012 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndServe (Post 6925865)
if I pulled the string then released it and pulled it again would this be better than pre stretching?

That depends on what type of stringer you have and what type of pre stretching you are doing. You could pre-stretch manually by wrapping a set of starring around a pole and pulling on the ends to remove coiling. Or you could use a pre-stretch on some electronic machines. When pulling tension two times (or more) on the string on a lock-out machine you will see a difference. If you are pulling tension two times on a true constant pull (some electronic machines are not true constant pull) you will see less of a difference if any. If you go through the process of pulling two times on a true constant pull then you will be pulling the string for a longer period of time. If using a constant pull and you increase the time you pull the string you increase the stretch. Even though the tension is the same longer pulling times produce a stiffer string bed.

Irvin 09-29-2012 08:30 AM

I remember YULitle made a video one time that he thought showed if you pull a hard weave two time you got a lot more stretch but that is not true. If you want to test it out mark the point on your tension your gripper is at when you pull the string, then release tension but hold the gripper closed on the string so it remains in the same place, and pull tension again you will see it goes right back to where it was.

EDIT: Here is the video I was talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwjDUQAGZMY&feature=plcp

Irvin 09-29-2012 08:36 AM

I guess the best way to really answer your question is with a couple of questions. What are you trying to achieve with the double pull or pre-stretch, and what type stringer do you have?

Irvin 09-29-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6925873)
No. Just different. That said, if you do this on the crosses, you will achieve a tighter string bed.

More than likely you are correct but not for the reason you are insinuating. When you pull twice you are doing something to break the friction between the mains and crosses. When that friction is overcome more of the tension is applied to the complete cross string.

When I pull tension on a cross (using a constant pull) if first move the string I am tensioning to try to get it close to straight. It's breaks the friction between that cross and the mains. Ten I straighten the last cross I tensioned to get it as straight as I can. Then I move that string I am tensioning again. All this takes time and that extra time I use stretches the cross string for a longer period of time which produces a tighter string bed. With the mains that isn't necessary because there are no crosses in yet but a slight tug on the string you are tension could break the friction between the main and the frame again making for a tighter string bed all without rally increasing tension.

None of this is necessary with an electronic constant pull that produces a jerky (off-on-off) pull on the string which breaks the friction.

2ndServe 09-29-2012 09:25 AM

I have a lockout machine, an old alpha. But I find after one set my strings are catapulting my returns as I'm taking the ball on the rise in no man's land and coming in on the return.

Once this happens I feel like I have to check up on the returns to just get it in. So I'm looking for a super consistent string bed.

ATP100 09-29-2012 10:07 AM

Easy Answer: NO

rich s 09-29-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

agree.... I do this on my own racquets.....

drakulie 09-29-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 6926175)
More than likely you are correct but not for the reason you are insinuating.

what am I insinuating other than to say, it produces a tighter string bed?:confused:

Irvin 09-29-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drakulie (Post 6926871)
what am I insinuating other than to say, it produces a tighter string bed?:confused:

If you do it on the mains you will have a tighter string bed too. And depending on how the pre stretch is done it may produce the tighter string bed. You're insinuating pulling twice will produce the tightest string bed.

drakulie 09-29-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 6926950)
You're insinuating pulling twice will produce the tightest string bed.

No I'm not.

Here is my post:

Quote:

I clearly said, "Tighter", not "Tightest".

Irvin 09-29-2012 09:08 PM

^^Yes and pre-stretching could produce a tighter stringbed.

drakulie 09-29-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 6927100)
^^Yes and pre-stretching could produce a tighter stringbed.

OK, and pre-stretching, plus pulling twice, plus using a constant pull machines pre-stretch method will produce an even tighter string bed. So will stringing at 60, rather than 55, or stringing one piece vs two, or stringing a 3 box rather than a regular one piece, or using a constant pull vs a crank or using a babolat star 5 vs a baiardo. :roll: Your point?

and again, contrary to your statement, I never insinuated anything than what I wrote in my first post. I never said "tightest". I clearly said "tighter". Please read the first post again before making misleading statements about what I did and didn't say, or "insinuate".

Irvin 09-30-2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

To insinuate is to suggest or hint something in an indirect way. What did you mean (insinuate) when you said, "IF YOU DO THIS ON THE CROSSES?"

EDIT: The OP asked what he thought was a simple enough question - which is better pre-stretching or double pulling. Your response was, "If you do this on the crosses you will have a tighter string bed." I assumed you were only talking about double pulling producing a tighter string bed. Was I wrong when I assumed you meant double pulling will produce a tighter string bed?

bugeyed 09-30-2012 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 6927260)
To insinuate is to suggest or hint something in an indirect way. What did you mean (insinuate) when you said, "IF YOU DO THIS ON THE CROSSES?"

EDIT: The OP asked what he thought was a simple enough question - which is better pre-stretching or double pulling. Your response was, "If you do this on the crosses you will have a tighter string bed." I assumed you were only talking about double pulling producing a tighter string bed. Was I wrong when I assumed you meant double pulling will produce a tighter string bed?

Irvin, it's enough that Drakulie explained what he means. Why do you keep insisting that your "interpretation" has any relevance?

Cheers,
kev

Irvin 09-30-2012 05:44 AM

My interpretation of what Drakulie meant by "this" (either pre-stretching or double pulling produces a tighter string bed or they are both the same when he said, "No just different,") has no relevance at all.

Irvin 09-30-2012 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugeyed (Post 6927412)
Irvin, it's enough that Drakulie explained what he means. Why do you keep insisting that your "interpretation" has any relevance?

Cheers,
kev

By the way I assumed he was answering the question, would pulling the strings twice be better than pre-stretching. When he said no just different, does that mean they both produce the same result. And when he said when you do this on the crosses. Do you know what this is?

EDIT; BTW I must have missed it where did Drakulie explained what he meant? Or are you assuming what he insinuated?

EDIT: I am done with IT you guys have have IT.

bugeyed 09-30-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irvin (Post 6927444)
By the way I assumed he was answering the question, would pulling the strings twice be better than pre-stretching. When he said no just different, does that mean they both produce the same result. And when he said when you do this on the crosses. Do you know what this is?

I don't want to speak for Drakulie, but by answering the question, "would pulling the strings twice be better than pre-stretching", with "No. Just different", does not mean they both produce the same result! The clue is the use of the word "different". The "no" answers the question "would pulling the strings twice be better" & the way I read it, "This" refers to "pulling the strings twice".

Edit: Don't go away mad! Your contributions to this community have been very valuable. Most of the time.

Cheers,
kev