Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   I have a serious *hypothetical* problem. Help! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441518)

Sentinel 09-29-2012 05:47 AM

I have a serious *hypothetical* problem. Help!

Please put on your thinking caps and give this ole fren some help getting his feet on the ground.

Let's say I am given a ride by some extra-terrestrials. The ride takes days or weeks of my time, but when I am returned to the street I lived on, I find that several decades have elapsed on Earth (time dilation).

I am standing in front of my house. The entire street has changed. All houses/apartments rebuilt, new name plates. I know nobody. I have no place to go, no home. All I have on me (let's say) is a DL (long expired) and perhaps an ATM card (blocked due to account disuse, if the bank still exists).

I realize that the few people I knew are either dead, or very old and thus in no shape to help me, even if I could locate them. I do remember a couple of gmail ids, but gmail doesn't exist any longer. Same for cell numbers. My cell phone doesn't work now (providers/technology everything's changed).

My skill set was already outdated when I left, now it would be history, so I am not sure how I am going to earn money.

So here I am, standing on the street I lived on, a stranger, not knowing what my first move should be. Should I approach the police, the newspapers, or what ? How do i earn a living ?

Should I keep mum about my trip for fear of ridicule, or is that the only hope I have (since I still look like I did in 2012 - forty years back).

Thanks for helping out.
Sincerely, Senti.

6-1 6-3 6-0 09-29-2012 06:07 AM

Prostitution.

Babolatbarry 09-29-2012 06:12 AM

Looks like you're screwed...

Chace 09-29-2012 07:18 AM

I say either go with 6-1 6-3 6-0's answer or hop back in your delorean and go back in time.

vive le beau jeu ! 09-29-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6925913)
Please put on your thinking caps and give this ole fren some help getting his feet on the ground.

Let's say I am given a ride by some extra-terrestrials. The ride takes days or weeks of my time, but when I am returned to the street I lived on, I find that several decades have elapsed on Earth (time dilation).

I am standing in front of my house. The entire street has changed. All houses/apartments rebuilt, new name plates. I know nobody. I have no place to go, no home. All I have on me (let's say) is a DL (long expired) and perhaps an ATM card (blocked due to account disuse, if the bank still exists).

I realize that the few people I knew are either dead, or very old and thus in no shape to help me, even if I could locate them. I do remember a couple of gmail ids, but gmail doesn't exist any longer. Same for cell numbers. My cell phone doesn't work now (providers/technology everything's changed).

My skill set was already outdated when I left, now it would be history, so I am not sure how I am going to earn money.

So here I am, standing on the street I lived on, a stranger, not knowing what my first move should be. Should I approach the police, the newspapers, or what ? How do i earn a living ?

Should I keep mum about my trip for fear of ridicule, or is that the only hope I have (since I still look like I did in 2012 - forty years back).

Thanks for helping out.
Sincerely, Senti.

just a little question, just to be sure... are the streets full of apes (topspin or not) and is there a piece of liberty statue on the beach ?

NickC 09-29-2012 07:39 AM

I say just stop taking so much acid. That's usually a solid first step.

Bowtiesarecool 09-29-2012 08:04 AM

Find the nearest suicide booth. Make frends with the first robot you meet. Mooch off of any living relatives you can find.

davo81 09-29-2012 08:30 AM

NickC: great reply!

Sentinel 09-29-2012 08:45 AM

Beam me up, Scotty !

Hey tennis-loving ladies and gentlemen of TW, serious answers please. It's not everyday that dear Senti asks you all for your advice.

No illegal/ criminal options please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vive le beau jeu ! (Post 6926055)
just a little question, just to be sure... are the streets full of apes (topspin or not) and is there a piece of liberty statue on the beach ?

LOL, No, this is not inspired by Planet of the Apes or Terminator series, etc. I have been into sci-fi a lot from childhood so a lot of my thinking follows across such lines.

In any case, I do not know how to drive motorcycles (or cars without having the keys) nor do i know how to fire guns, and I cannot single-handedly floor five or ten armed assailants, nor can I jump onto speeding trucks from heights (Salt), nor can I use my cell (Nokia 5510 in my case) or iPod to bring down the security system at NASA or KGB headquarters (Transporter 2).

Hasta la vista, baby.

Dags 09-29-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6926167)
LOL, No, this is not inspired by Planet of the Apes or Terminator series, etc.

No, this scenario pretty much follows that of Flight of the Navigator.

See ya later, Navigator.

emilyhex 09-29-2012 09:30 AM

I think it's highly unlikely you would be the only one this has happened to, if in fact this *hypothetical* situation were to occur. I would seek help. You would be sure to find someone with experience dealing with these matters or at least find someone sympathetic to your plight. No man is an island as they say... good luck time traveler.

jswinf 09-29-2012 09:50 AM

1. Ask those extra-terrestrials for some ideas.

2. Figure out the equivalent of "The National Enquirer" and sell them your story for big bucks.

3. Listen to the James Taylor song "The Frozen Man" for insights.

4. Be more careful about hitch-hiking in the future.

Sentinel 09-29-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dags (Post 6926193)
No, this scenario pretty much follows that of Flight of the Navigator.

See ya later, Navigator.

Haven't seen it, will try to if i have the chance.
Quote:

I think it's highly unlikely you would be the only one this has happened to, if in fact this *hypothetical* situation were to occur. I would seek help. You would be sure to find someone with experience dealing with these matters or at least find someone sympathetic to your plight. No man is an island as they say... good luck time traveler.
Yes, it is likely there may be others too. However, you remember the movie Contact in which Jodie Foster ultimately decided to keep mum.

Telling me that I would find someone with experience etc doesn't comfort me one bit. I need a solid action plan, or at least some set of options that give me hope in dealing with this situation.
Quote:

1. Ask those extra-terrestrials for some ideas.

2. Figure out the equivalent of "The National Enquirer" and sell them your story for big bucks.

3. Listen to the James Taylor song "The Frozen Man" for insights.

4. Be more careful about hitch-hiking in the future.
1. Too late, they are gone.

3. Will, okay its starting on YT. Let's see.

4. Thanks for the warning. Right now I have the present to worry about, and a bunch of friends on TW who don't seem to take my plight seriously. :)

natalia 09-29-2012 10:59 AM

Go to meet either God(s)' representative and/or university resercher(s) ant tell your story.

Dags 09-29-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6926302)
Haven't seen it, will try to if i have the chance.

If you follow this path, please note that at no time did I say that it was a good film.

vive le beau jeu ! 09-29-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6926167)
LOL, No, this is not inspired by Planet of the Apes or Terminator series, etc. I have been into sci-fi a lot from childhood so a lot of my thinking follows across such lines.

In any case, I do not know how to drive motorcycles (or cars without having the keys) nor do i know how to fire guns, and I cannot single-handedly floor five or ten armed assailants, nor can I jump onto speeding trucks from heights (Salt), nor can I use my cell (Nokia 5510 in my case) or iPod to bring down the security system at NASA or KGB headquarters (Transporter 2).

Hasta la vista, baby.

well, take a horse, a camel, a tauntaun or whatever you can find, and go at the following address:
1640 Riverside Drive, Hill Valley

you should find a guy able to help you. ;)

by the way, how do you manage to communicate with us from 'there' ? 8-)

The Meat 09-29-2012 11:23 AM

Roll a 7 and move straight to Jail. You might get probed a little more, but you will get food and shelter.

Problem solved.

Hood_Man 09-29-2012 11:25 AM

You stop what you're doing and shout as loud as you can, "EXISTENZ IS PAUSED!"

Polaris 09-29-2012 12:13 PM

Terrible situation to be in, methinks. Most people will not believe you, and the authorities, i.e., police and courts will probably think you are a lunatic if there has been no precedent for time travel.

If you are lucky enough to be in a town that has a university, you may be able to look at their staff and visit a benevolent professor or researcher (A Carl Sagan type) who may listen and even lend you a helping hand in return for ... um "studying" your story, your evidence, ...., your brain, ....., your anatomy, etc.

rk_sports 09-29-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6925913)

Thanks for helping out.
Sincerely, Senti.

Interesting... so this is a complex situation indeed ;)

so, it boils down to ..
1. how to make people believe the abnormal
2. how to survive with no current skills

Since its the far future, it could mean people have MATURED and have better processes in place (for old/poor/disabled/etc) - and you have the DL and ATM card, so approach media/police/public office to tell your story and if you play it right, could become viral/famous (maybe even get to write a book or get a TV show with your old old friends as guests) ;)

If that fails, you start slow (like an illegal immigrant)... part-time jobs etc and learn the skills ...assuming you're not too old/unfit ofc