Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   "College Recruiting Videos" on youtube... do they actually work? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441544)

Babolatbarry 09-29-2012 11:17 AM

"College Recruiting Videos" on youtube... do they actually work?

I mean I'd do it if they worked, but Idk why coaches for halfway decent schools would look on youtube...

shake&bake 09-29-2012 11:23 AM

I dont think they just randomly search on youtube, people put their videos on youtube because it is very easy to send a quick hyperlink to a number of coaches rather than send them all an actual file. Also, friends and family and other tennis players can watch you, and you have to have a hyperlink to put a video on TRN

Babolatbarry 09-29-2012 11:24 AM

I hope you didn't take offense to this posting, as it wasn't directed towards you or your video.
and yeah I didn't think about it like that

shake&bake 09-29-2012 11:34 AM

No, no offense taken. I was just responding because thats why most videos are on there.

Babolatbarry 09-29-2012 11:37 AM

Oh... obviously lol, my bad

floridatennisdude 09-29-2012 12:31 PM

Simple test: look at some of the older videos. Then google that players name.

TheCheese 09-29-2012 12:39 PM

Yeah... People don't put their videos on Youtube expecting coaches to find their videos and call them. They send links to the videos.

TennisTaxi 09-29-2012 01:01 PM

Yep, my son posted a video to you tube and referenced it in this profile when he sent letters to college coaches. Don't think anyone else ever looked at them!!

Bergboy123 10-06-2012 05:21 PM

You mean you guys don't browse those vids regularly? >:D

MaconTennis 10-21-2012 06:10 PM

There are so many youtube tennis recruiting videos it is almost impossible to weed through them all. And the vast majority of them are from foreign students looking to land a scholarship at a DI school.

It is helpful to have a youtube video, specifically with match play posted that you can alert coaches at schools in whom you may have interest. Many Division I schools already have their recruits picked out but as a Division III coach most of us have rather limited recruiting budgets so any information we can find online proves most helpful. If you have a list of schools in which you are interested, I would highly recommend sending the coach an email with your information. I find it helpful when a student sends a link to a youtube video, especially if it includes point play or match play highlights. Watching a video with perfectly fed balls with the student hitting the same stroke from the same position on court is nice, but not realistic.

Hope this helps

sundaypunch 10-22-2012 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisTaxi (Post 6926525)
Yep, my son posted a video to you tube and referenced it in this profile when he sent letters to college coaches. Don't think anyone else ever looked at them!!

I would think that this is the main reason to post them on Youtube. So you can email a coach and include a link to a video. Coaches aren't going to have the need to surf Youtube looking for prospects.

Timbo's hopeless slice 11-28-2012 06:11 PM

yes

we made vids for two kids from our club and put them on youtube, but only so they could be linked via their applications.

both kids got full scholarships to US schools, though, so the vids obviously didn't do any harm..

coaching32yrs 11-30-2012 07:52 AM

I don't think they are worth much. I have talked to Ivy league coaches who don't think much of them. For American players, every result is available on the internet. Plus the coach can see a live match if he/she wants. That being said recently had a college coach at a top school request a video from one of my player's. So we made a short video and posted it on youtube. Didn't cost anything to make.

sureshs 11-30-2012 08:42 AM

Have the rules changed to disallow posting? I think there have been very few in the last couple of years.