Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Odds & Ends (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Is anybody kinda disappointed that the 2012 doomsday nuts aren't putting up more... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441562)

seattle_1hander 09-29-2012 02:24 PM

Is anybody kinda disappointed that the 2012 doomsday nuts aren't putting up more...

..of a fight? I was kind of looking forward to some like crazy stories on the news of people building underwater shelters...or people building rocket ships to get off the planet or something. It was gonna be as big a laugh riot (if not bigger) than Y2k. What gives? Come on nutjobs...entertain me...

DoctorBackhand 09-29-2012 04:30 PM

They finished their preparations in 2011. They're gonna be quite for a while longer.....

Sentinel 09-29-2012 08:33 PM

They are busy stocking their bunkers which will save them when the world ends.

oh wait, if the world ends, what use are bunkers. :confused:

What will happen is this. All the doomsday nuts will get into their bunkers in December. A few small earthquakes will result in the bunkers caving in and killing all the nuts, leaving everyone above safe.

So the world will be a saner place, lol.

Bartelby 09-29-2012 08:46 PM

The Judaeo-Christian tradition is fundamentally eschatological.

Sentinel 09-29-2012 09:14 PM

Funnily just the other day, I was thinking about how its almost October, and the world is supposed to end in 2 months and no one is talking about it.

I was thinking of starting a thread joking about it but then gave up the idea. I imagine that they'll just post-pone the date.

However, the good thing is that Dec 2012 will be the end of all 'end of the world' prophecies. I don't imagine anyone will have the cheek to start them again. No one will be taken seriously again.

I don't blame them for keeping quiet since all those earthquakes and stuff that were supposed to happen this year haven't.

However, strangely winter has come very early in India this year. So something could be amiss ... :)

adventure 09-29-2012 11:11 PM

I've got a month's supply of dreyer's chocolate ice cream. Does that count?

Sentinel 09-30-2012 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adventure (Post 6927202)
I've got a month's supply of dreyer's chocolate ice cream. Does that count?

It'll certainly count towards your diabetes and weight problems. ;)

p.s. Dreyer's sucks.

kalyan4fedever 09-30-2012 12:44 AM

In 2012 if not the end of the world, all the pagan beliefs will be resurrected.

pabletion 09-30-2012 01:09 AM

Meanwhile.... Were gonna milk this cow as much as we can, everything is 13 baktun over here, a special edition 13 Baktun dark rum is on sale, hotels are fully booked near Tikal........... Thanks Mayans, hope we gets paydddd!

dominikk1985 09-30-2012 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6927047)
They are busy stocking their bunkers which will save them when the world ends.

oh wait, if the world ends, what use are bunkers. :confused:

What will happen is this. All the doomsday nuts will get into their bunkers in December. A few small earthquakes will result in the bunkers caving in and killing all the nuts, leaving everyone above safe.

So the world will be a saner place, lol.

that reminds me of a simpsons episode:D

Sentinel 09-30-2012 01:56 AM

Oh oops we just discovered the remainder of the Mayan calendar in the next cave. Appa they ran out of cave.

Hey wait, *who* are these Mayans? Where are they, those wise ones who predicted the end of the world (which they didn't, but who cares about that). Where are they now ... building spaceships ? Winning Olympic Gold medals ? Are they a global superpower ?

Funny, haven't heard much of 'em guys lately ;)

jaggy 09-30-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartelby (Post 6927065)
The Judaeo-Christian tradition is fundamentally eschatological.

I dont think it can work any other way, you have to promise them better the next time around. As the tshirt says:

Religion: Stopping the poor from killing the rich for 2000 years

Sentinel 09-30-2012 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaggy (Post 6927400)
I dont think it can work any other way, you have to promise them better the next time around. As the tshirt says:

Religion: Stopping the poor from killing the rich for 2000 years

Works both ways.

Suits me. Religion (or superstition/karma etc) prevents people from killing stray dogs quite a bit in my place.

Hey, let's not get into R, or the thread will get deleted.

Two years back someone called megacedu (or HappyAndFriendlyAlways) created a thread titled "Dec 21st 2012: End of world.". Sadly, that thread was in the Rants and Raves section so it perished. HAFA was mocking all those of us who did not take EOW seriously. Pretended to be very serious. Talking about getting his bunker ready up in some mountains or god knows where.

RealityPolice 09-30-2012 12:11 PM

Not disappointed at all. I'd rather not waste time at our public astronomy events answering questions about superstition-based bull***** when there are perfectly good questions to answer.

Sentinel 09-30-2012 08:51 PM

^ I was hoping for all the good folks to be raptured so the rest of us could fight in peace.

Tennis sensation 10-01-2012 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6927113)
However, strangely winter has come very early in India this year. So something could be amiss ... :)

Yes this is something I have also noticed.
I live in Delhi and post July the year has been cooler than last year

maleyoyo 10-01-2012 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentinel (Post 6927281)
Oh oops we just discovered the remainder of the Mayan calendar in the next cave. Appa they ran out of cave.

Hey wait, *who* are these Mayans? Where are they, those wise ones who predicted the end of the world (which they didn't, but who cares about that). Where are they now ... building spaceships ? Winning Olympic Gold medals ? Are they a global superpower ?

Funny, haven't heard much of 'em guys lately ;)

They were too busy predicting the end of the world that they forgot to predict the end of their own civilization.

BHiC 10-01-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maleyoyo (Post 6929079)
They were too busy predicting the end of the world that they forgot to predict the end of their own civilization.

Actually, the Mayans never predicted the end of the world. One of their several calendars happens to end near December 21, 2012 (and the date is not even certain), just like our calendars end on December 31 every year.

http://news.discovery.com/history/20...cy-111202.html

Sentinel 10-01-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHiC (Post 6929268)
Actually, the Mayans never predicted the end of the world. One of their several calendars happens to end near December 21, 2012 (and the date is not even certain), just like our calendars end on December 31 every year.

http://news.discovery.com/history/20...cy-111202.html

I was making a dig at the poor misquoted chaps. I've said from the start too that the end of a calendar does not imply the end of the world. However, no one was listening. Your link reminded me of NIBIRU (lol) or whatever. We had a serious thread on that with HAFA propounding Nibiru.

Now the dooms-dayers are saying the world won't end, but we'll go into a new era, an awakening, higher dimension, we'll meet with higher dimensional beings (my sides and hurting as i type this), and some of us will ascend to a higher dimension.

I love (read: retch at) the pseudo-scientific terminology they use: inter-dimensional beings, Theo a sixth-dimensional being, etc.

So the nuts will just reinvent themselves and go on. Actually, most already have just in case.

sureshs 10-01-2012 10:06 AM

You guys were not around during Y2K? As it approached, all the nuts slowly started retracting their dire predictions, with one excuse or the other.