Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Cramped up on double match point! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441600)

tamdoankc 09-30-2012 01:17 AM

Cramped up on double match point!

Over the weekend I was playing in a doubles tourney and was basically carrying my partner the whole way through. Normally it's never a problem as I welcome the challenge and I have a lot of fun. Tournaments here are one set no ad scoring and a tie break at 5 all. Doesn't sound so bad if you have an equal partner but really difficult if not. We get through 3 matches and my adrenaline level is still pretty high. 4th match we're up 5-2 with my partner serving. He nervously chokes and doubles the game away. No worries since we can either break or get to my service game. Ended up at the latter. I'm serving big the whole tourney and it's all easy holds, either aces or unreturnables. I miss my first serve and my right calf completely cramps. Huge pain, fetal position, etc. 15 min timeout. First point was 2nd serve ace, 2nd was double fault, 3rd unreturnable, 4th unreturnable, 5th as soon as I miss my first serve my left calf cramps. I didn't feel it would be fair to take another time out and defaulted the match. 40-15 double match point on my serve!!! Does any have a worse torunament story?

mikeler 09-30-2012 03:48 AM

Did you play 4 matches in 1 day? Were you keeping up with your electrolytes? I played a match one time and was rather hung over. It was a singles match that I got to 6-5 serving in a 3rd set tiebreaker. My tricep cramped on that serve and I played the point left handed and lost it. I offered to play out the match left handed but my partner said we would call it a draw.

tamdoankc 09-30-2012 05:14 AM

Yeah, it was in 1 day. It would've been a lot more since I entered in 2 draws. I'm positive it was the lack of water and electrolytes since I've never cramped this bad before and I normally play 3 hours a day in the mid day heat 5 days a week. Tourney was held at a club the didn't supply free drinks and water and didn't allow outside drinks and food in. So like an idiot I tried to pace my fluid intake as clubhouse water was a rip off. Next time I'll just drink from the swimming pool.

r2473 09-30-2012 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tamdoankc (Post 6927398)
Yeah, it was in 1 day. It would've been a lot more since I entered in 2 draws. I'm positive it was the lack of water and electrolytes since I've never cramped this bad before and I normally play 3 hours a day in the mid day heat 5 days a week. Tourney was held at a club the didn't supply free drinks and water and didn't allow outside drinks and food in. So like an idiot I tried to pace my fluid intake as clubhouse water was a rip off. Next time I'll just drink from the swimming pool.

So if you (for some reason) didn't bring any money, they just made you play for 5 hours without ever taking a drink?

tamdoankc 09-30-2012 05:29 PM

I bought water, just didn't drink as much as I normally do.