Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Switching from full gut to full poly. Help! (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441606)

grover 09-30-2012 04:57 AM

Switching from full gut to full poly. Help!
 
This 48 year old former 5.0 needs direction. Looking for a poly on the soft side with good power. I have read good things about the Volkl Cyclone. Does it fit my requirements?

Up&comer 09-30-2012 05:00 AM

Why exactly do you want to switch to full poly?

themitchmann 09-30-2012 05:02 AM

Why are you making such a drastic change? Have you considered trying a hybrid, or are you completely sold on full poly?

themitchmann 09-30-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themitchmann (Post 6927390)
Why are you making such a drastic change? Have you considered trying a hybrid, or are you completely sold on full poly?

Ha. Beat me to it.

grover 09-30-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Up&comer (Post 6927388)
Why exactly do you want to switch to full poly?

Good question. I bought a Rebel 98 with full poly in it and really liked the control I was getting. In the past full poly hurt my elbow in my prior racket. (BB 11 MP) The problem is I have no idea who's poly was in the racket I purchased other than its black. I have tried a gut mains/poly hybrid in the past but did not like the feel. (tonic/black code) I'm thinking full poly is the way to go if I can find the right one. Thanks in advance.

netguy 09-30-2012 08:49 AM

Co-poly mains / Gut crosses

Rabbit 09-30-2012 08:54 AM

I just bought Prince Warriors and am really impressed with how comfortable full poly is in them. So, I'm trying a few polys. I came from a gut/poly combo in the EXO3 Tour. I went down right now to 48/46 in tension and may go a little lower. The best advice I can give you is with fully poly, thin gauge and lower your tension.

BTW - IMO, gut in the crosses is a waste of gut.

GarryClarke 09-30-2012 08:58 AM

if your looking for a soft poly in a full bed with plenty of power and good control have a look at the yonex poly tour pro 1.25.

take a look at this thread

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=359562


cheers garry

TonyB 09-30-2012 09:02 AM

Soft poly with good power = Polystar Energy.

I'm using it now and it's amazing. The only poly I've ever used that was powerful, yet still has incredible touch and feel. I think you'll be impressed. Absolutely does not hurt the arm, either.

maxpotapov 09-30-2012 09:03 AM

Try Dunlop Black Widow 17 or 18
All control and feel you can get from poly, but only good for the first 5 hours or so, then it gets mushy. Like with any shaped string, sharp edges tend to wear out and then it loses its bite.

Centerforward71 09-30-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grover (Post 6927387)
This 48 year old former 5.0 needs direction. Looking for a poly on the soft side with good power. I have read good things about the Volkl Cyclone. Does it fit my requirements?

Genesis twisted razor full bed at 38lbs. Yes I said 38lbs. If youndontblike it I'll pay for your strings. Or main genesis twis rzr and signum PPP cross 40/38.

TonyB 09-30-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centerforward71 (Post 6927687)
Genesis twisted razor full bed at 38lbs. Yes I said 38lbs. If youndontblike it I'll pay for your strings. Or main genesis twis rzr and signum PPP cross 40/38.


Eh, that's nothing. I string Polystar Energy at 30 lb. in my Yonex Tour 89. Incredible frame and incredible string. Only downside is that you need to restring every 3 or 4 matches due to tension loss.

Centerforward71 09-30-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyB (Post 6927743)
Eh, that's nothing. I string Polystar Energy at 30 lb. in my Yonex Tour 89. Incredible frame and incredible string. Only downside is that you need to restring every 3 or 4 matches due to tension loss.

Agreed I string at 38 and play it at 28-30 after a session of hitting. So no I play that low but I get alottttt more life by doing it this way. Sometimes I have to force myself to cut out a string that's still performing as to not risk arm / elbow strain. I try to tell people a bit higher as to not shock them until they realize how nice it plays. I would say that you need decent strokes to take advantage of this setup with good racquet head speed. At least a racquet that accelerates through impact.

neverstopplaying 10-02-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grover (Post 6927387)
This 48 year old former 5.0 needs direction. Looking for a poly on the soft side with good power. I have read good things about the Volkl Cyclone. Does it fit my requirements?

To answer your original q, yes Cyclone is a soft, modern poly with good power. Remember to change poly before it breaks as it loses its elasticity at 10+ hours, depending on your hitting style.

Also, poly may start to cause some discomfort over time. Just be aware so that you can take corrective measures. In my case, I have several racquets available. If I feel some (any) discomfort, I usually play for a few days with full multi and the discomfort goes away - quickly for me.

Chotobaka 10-02-2012 04:51 PM

Going from full gut to full poly is the tennis equivalent of a sex change operation. A little extreme, especially at your stage of the game.

jrxl 10-02-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 6932184)
Going from full gut to full poly is the tennis equivalent of a sex change operation. A little extreme, especially at your stage of the game.

There's a Yonex joke in there somewhere...

grover 10-04-2012 06:27 PM

I had my Rebel 98 strung with Black Widow 16 at 54lbs and will have a chance to hit tomorrow. I'm not digging the looks of this string or the shape. I have never seen anything like it but who cares if it blinds me and cuts my fingers as long as it hits good. I will try and report back in the next couple days.

smirker 10-05-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyB (Post 6927743)
Eh, that's nothing. I string Polystar Energy at 30 lb. in my Yonex Tour 89. Incredible frame and incredible string. Only downside is that you need to restring every 3 or 4 matches due to tension loss.

Tony, for a 100" Yonex what tension do you recommend for PS Energy?

nalvarado 10-05-2012 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyB (Post 6927670)
Soft poly with good power = Polystar Energy.

I'm using it now and it's amazing. The only poly I've ever used that was powerful, yet still has incredible touch and feel. I think you'll be impressed. Absolutely does not hurt the arm, either.

I'll second this. I currently play with a hybrid of PSE and Syn in my main stick. Does not aggravate my TE at all and there are no performance drop offs(for myself).

pvaudio 10-05-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chotobaka (Post 6932184)
Going from full gut to full poly is the tennis equivalent of a sex change operation. A little extreme, especially at your stage of the game.

By the powers of deduction then, is it better to get a sex change the older you are?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse