Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   ...vvvVVV ** VCORE Tour 89 Club ** VVVvvv... (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441626)

TonyB 09-30-2012 11:38 AM

...vvvVVV ** VCORE Tour 89 Club ** VVVvvv...

Just had to start a separate thread about this remarkable frame. I grew up using Yonex frames (notably the R-22) and found this frame to be a modern incarnation of it. Less flexible, with slightly more power, equal control, and more stability.

Problem that I've found is that the power level is actually LOWER than the old R-22, if you can believe it. I've had to dramatically reduce my string tension just to get a reasonable amount of juice out of this frame. Not that it's sensitive to strings... it really plays well with a variety of strings... but if you're looking to get some acceptable power out of this frame you really need to string low or use multifilament strings.

Right now, I'm using Polystar Energy at 30 lb. Comfort is off the charts, power is high, but controllable. Control is decent, but takes some attention. Serving is outrageous -- this thing serves bombs and my first serve percentage has NEVER been higher.

If you string in the "normal" range, anywhere from 40-60 lb., the control from this frame is absurdly high. The problem that I initially suffered with was that I had to change my strokes to generate power. Then, my control went way off because my technique went down the drain in an attempt to overswing. The solution was to drop the tension and find a powerful, spinny string to help out. Now, I'm swinging normally and generating good pace with decent spin and good control. Life is good.

Anyway, I'm still getting used to this frame, but it certainly seems as if there are no limits to what it can do. The results produced from this frame are truly in the user's hands.

edwincen 09-30-2012 09:08 PM

I can't imagine how to play it with 30lbs ,at 40lbs my 95D turn to be trampoline rocket launcher.

Vcore89 09-30-2012 09:26 PM

Never ever strung below 55 pounds for playing purposes (gut, synthetic, co-poly or poly; full bed or otherwise). The lowest I've tried is 48 for testing but then it all boils down to personal feel.

No way its power is below R22. It is much lower compared to the current BLX PST 90 (not comparing to Barbies).

Control, feel, volley, power, etc. It's a total package. Do I miss BLX's serving prowess? Sure! But do I get push around by much powerful racquets? Heck no!

Greg G 10-01-2012 05:20 AM

Received a second pair today! Looks like I'm committed :)

Bottom 2 are strung with Lux Alu power 16L @ 52/50. Still feel that it has noticeably less pop compared to the tour bite 17 @ 55/53 that it replaced. Hope it's just breaking in. Could it be the string gauge?

The new arrivals have polytour spin on, 1 full bed @48/46 and one hybrid with ogsm @ 50/50. Eager to see how they hit. The blue wasn't that bad actually, I was afraid it would clash with the pj. My first hybrid experience too. Crossing my fingers :)

tistrapukcipeht 10-01-2012 05:42 AM

I don't think I have seen a more beautiful racquet than these VCore Tour 89.

Everytime I pass by the Yonex racquets on my shop I look at these 89, so small, so beautiful the paint, I will buy a couple for sure when they go down in price in 2 years, only for having them.

Meaghan 10-01-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg G (Post 6929064)
Received a second pair today! Looks like I'm committed :)

Bottom 2 are strung with Lux Alu power 16L @ 52/50. Still feel that it has noticeably less pop compared to the tour bite 17 @ 55/53 that it replaced. Hope it's just breaking in. Could it be the string gauge?

The new arrivals have polytour spin on, 1 full bed @48/46 and one hybrid with ogsm @ 50/50. Eager to see how they hit. The blue wasn't that bad actually, I was afraid it would clash with the pj. My first hybrid experience too. Crossing my fingers :)

I had the same experience with TB and Alu at pretty much the same tension as you, although I string one piece which I find gives a more uniform stringbed after an initial few hits.

As for the blue spin, I think its an excellent string but I started low 50's in tension and went down to 44 where I felt most happy, it was good to go from the off. Not tried it in a hybrid tho.

You should try the yellow tour string, more pop than the spin, better fuller feel, very nice string, lots of grip for a string that is not shaped.

Personally I love the racket, looks beautiful and plays beautiful. I just found I struggled on some cute shots, where it didnt come thro the air the same as a thinner stick. If you like your sticks heavy, then Yonex do have a little extra material so you need to be strong, I like mine heavy but Im less Wawrinka and more Korda, hence my return to Volkl :)

Greg G 10-01-2012 02:11 PM

Meags, did you spend time trying to dial in the alu power? I feel it has to be like 10 pounds lower to approximate the pop from tour bite. It's fine around the net, but I find myself working harder to provide power on the groundies.

TonyB 10-01-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwincen (Post 6928738)
I can't imagine how to play it with 30lbs ,at 40lbs my 95D turn to be trampoline rocket launcher.

But this thread is about the Tour 89. Not the 95D.

Trust me, 30 lb. PS Energy in the Tour 89 is pure Nirvana.

DonBot 10-02-2012 06:02 AM

I just returned the TW demo and it was freshly strung with gosen OG micro 16g. It had to have been at 60 lbs when I first got it...that combination of tension, string, and gauge really made for one heckuva wooden plank to hit with. Once the string loosened up it was pretty nice..I think a 16g string just makes the string bed too dense in this frame...I thought maybe a 17g multi would be pretty good for adding a little power. I am a big poly fan but I am not all to familair with the thinner guage polys that retain tenstion and stay playable for extended periods of time- probably are none lol.

Meaghan 10-02-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg G (Post 6929968)
Meags, did you spend time trying to dial in the alu power? I feel it has to be like 10 pounds lower to approximate the pop from tour bite. It's fine around the net, but I find myself working harder to provide power on the groundies.

I agree thats what I did, I gave up on it, I remember loving it in my custom Vantages and Rad TT's a few years ago but recently it seemed like a completely different string. I thought has someone put silverstring in this Lux packet and duped me!! Id gotten used to TB and although Alu is a decent string its not TB in my eyes.....

TonyB 10-02-2012 02:01 PM

I agree that the 16x20 pattern in this frame seems very tight, probably even more than an 18x20 in a MP sized frame. With syn gut at 60 lb., that makes for a rough time on the arm. I've used syn gut in the mid-40's in this frame and it felt pretty good.

I really wonder why people are so afraid of going with low tensions. The power level doesn't really even increase all that much, to be honest. And this frame has so much control with low power to begin with, it really needs some added pop from a lively stringbed.

Greg G 10-02-2012 02:22 PM

I'm on the way down, albeit slowly :)

skuludo 10-02-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyB (Post 6931907)
I agree that the 16x20 pattern in this frame seems very tight, probably even more than an 18x20 in a MP sized frame. With syn gut at 60 lb., that makes for a rough time on the arm. I've used syn gut in the mid-40's in this frame and it felt pretty good.

I really wonder why people are so afraid of going with low tensions. The power level doesn't really even increase all that much, to be honest. And this frame has so much control with low power to begin with, it really needs some added pop from a lively stringbed.

I tried 32lbs on this racket, and the ball just doesn't come off the same as 51 or 53lbs. (Full Poly Golden Set Snake Bite Gauge 16 and Golden Set Hex Poly)

I can understand why someone would want to use a higher tension on this racket.

Vcore89 10-02-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skuludo (Post 6932452)
I tried 32lbs on this racket, and the ball just doesn't come off the same as 51 or 53lbs. (Full Poly Golden Set Snake Bite Gauge 16 and Golden Set Hex Poly)

I can understand why someone would want to use a higher tension on this racket.

This is why I refrained as much from posting regarding string tensions with a full poly set up (evidently, I string higher but it is a personal thing).

skuludo 10-03-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vcore89 (Post 6932697)
This is why I refrained as much from posting regarding string tensions with a full poly set up (evidently, I string higher but it is a personal thing).

Do you have an ERT300 or that Iphone app to measure string bed stiffness?

If you do how high is the dynamic tension for your 60lbs setup using Weiss CANNON TurboTwist 17L?

Vcore89 10-03-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skuludo (Post 6932763)
Do you have an ERT300 or that Iphone app to measure string bed stiffness?

If you do how high is the dynamic tension for your 60lbs setup using Weiss CANNON TurboTwist 17L?

54-56 lbs--equivalent on a full bed.

DonBot 10-03-2012 07:49 AM

going down to the mid 50s is a major change for me...I am used to the low 60s on about everything. It all comes down to what you are used to. When I used to play with Wilson 90s, it always seemed like there was a sweet spot for tension where once it went too low you were just launching the ball...too high and it seemed like the ball would just pancake off the string bed without bite. I picked up some Vcore 89s... I am hoping they are not as temeperamental with strings.

cmendez79 10-03-2012 08:08 AM

Im using my Vcores 89T at Klip Legend 16G @48 / Luxinglo 4G @44 lbs.

And plays great, its a lot of power but has a tons of spin.

Great combo

tapatio 10-03-2012 08:52 AM

Using mine with Isospeed Professional Classic (58 mains, 56 crosses), great feel, just ordered another two.

Greg G 10-04-2012 07:52 PM

Had a good hit today, evaluating the 3 string setups.

The Lux Alu Power 16L (52/50) seems to have settled in and has more pop than the first time I hit it. Still nothing like the Tour Bite 17 in both spin and power for me. And my elbow felt the stiffness. I think I may like it at 10 lbs lower, or in a hybrid.

The Yonex Polytour Spin (48/46) made a really good impression! Nice pop, good spin! Easy on the elbow.

The polytour spin/Og sheep micro (50/50) was my first hybrid. It was the easiest on my elbow, had excellent power and good spin. Was very close to the full bed polytour spin. There was some string movement though- is that normal for a hybrid?

It's pretty hard looking for the right string. All the switching around messes up your game. I'm going with that excuse for playing horribly today. Sprayed balls everywhere. Ugh. :)