Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   In what manner are female strokes usually different than male ones? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441633)

dangalak 09-30-2012 01:08 PM

In what manner are female strokes usually different than male ones?

I mean, i know the end result. (more spin in the ATP) However, what leads to it? Is it just superior power or is it also because of different technique (males pronating on the forehand more during the takeback, while girls mostly just supinate; men finishing more across the body as opposed to over the shoulder; men using more straight arm FHs?)

MarinaHighTennis 09-30-2012 01:10 PM

techniques for sure. Girls seem to hit with their shoulder

Ash_Smith 09-30-2012 01:11 PM

Main differences you'll see are on forehand and serve in my opinion...

Forehand prep...

Forehand drive position...

cheers

LeeD 09-30-2012 01:24 PM

Most ATP males just have faster swingspeeds, and need to adjust to keep the ball IN play.
Most WTA females have slower swing speeds, but need more ball speed to run the opponent, and hit flatter strokes.
Serena is stronger than most males, but hits like a girl.
If WTA women hit like guys, it would be a topspin push game.
If ATP men hit like the women, the ball would indeed go fast (DelPo) but they would miss a lot.

dangalak 09-30-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6928082)
Most ATP males just have faster swingspeeds, and need to adjust to keep the ball IN play.
Most WTA females have slower swing speeds, but need more ball speed to run the opponent, and hit flatter strokes.
If ATP men hit like the women, the ball would indeed go fast (DelPo) but they would miss a lot.

:lol: Calm down bro.

How do you explain that Del Potro is so consistent then? Is it his height?

I was also asking for the specifics. As in, "what do women/men do different to get the desired results? (flatter or spinnier shots)"

For example, things such as followthrough, how much pronation during a forehand takeback, bent or straight elbow, platform or pinpoint stance during serve etc...

I am ignorant of the differences of these nuances between them.

LeeD 09-30-2012 01:39 PM

Duh.
Difference is most male pros can swing faster than most female pros, so need to control the ball to keep it IN.
Notice there is a difference between boys and girls.

The Meat 09-30-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6928082)

Should we call her Sereno? :)

LeeD 09-30-2012 02:26 PM

People are built differently, so have to compensate for their weaknesses or strengths. Being purely strong is an advantage at times, and a disadvantage at other times.
But Serena is stronger than most male pro tennis players. Stronger also is susceptible to things like cramps, muscle fatigue, and more energy used to play long points, which is why she likes to HIT the ball into corners to shorten points, not sustain endless rallies.

Thepowerofchoice 09-30-2012 02:33 PM

Sam Stosur hits/serves like a man :)

aimr75 09-30-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thepowerofchoice (Post 6928188)
Sam Stosur hits/serves like a man :)

Henins forehand was more ATP than WTA too

MikeyBigShot 09-30-2012 03:37 PM

What would stop a guy from developing ground strokes like Sharapova or Serena? I know that most guys here probably try to coordinate their undies with whatever ATP players have under their shorts, but seriously what aspect og Serena/Sharapova's strokes aren't applicable to amateur men?

I doubt most amateur men need a WW FH to control their self-perceived massive FH.

KineticChain 09-30-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6928178)
People are built differently, so have to compensate for their weaknesses or strengths. Being purely strong is an advantage at times, and a disadvantage at other times.
But Serena is stronger than most male pro tennis players. Stronger also is susceptible to things like cramps, muscle fatigue, and more energy used to play long points, which is why she likes to HIT the ball into corners to shorten points, not sustain endless rallies.

That's just silly.

sureshs 09-30-2012 03:50 PM

^^^ Or poly strings for that matter

UCSF2012 09-30-2012 03:57 PM

Serena's more bulky but not stronger. She looks like she can powerlift a house, but she still uses the Blade Lite.

LeeD 09-30-2012 03:58 PM

KineticC, you might be stronger than Serena, but at 5'11" and 150 lbs., she is much stronger than me. She's closer to 5'9" and 170 lbs. now that she is in shape, and 3 years ago, closer to 185lbs or even 190.
Look at the size of her shoulders and arms. She can mug GilesSimon with one arm!
But guys still have the edge in fast twitch muscles, I'll admit.

MikeyBigShot 09-30-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6928324)
KineticC, you might be stronger than Serena, but at 5'11" and 150 lbs., she is much stronger than me. She's closer to 5'9" and 170 lbs. now that she is in shape, and 3 years ago, closer to 185lbs or even 190.
Look at the size of her shoulders and arms. She can mug GilesSimon with one arm!

This really is stupid! She's in great shape and is naturally muscular, but that doesn't mean she is automatically stronger than men who weigh less or who are even shorter.

LeeD 09-30-2012 04:35 PM

Sometimes, people learn from experience.
Look at Serena's body. What does looking tell you about her strength? Her shoulders are twice the size of mine, her biceps another 1/2 bigger, and her legs easily double the size, pure muscle.
Now picture me. 5'11". Naturally about 140, but now that I'm 63, a little spare tire around the belly and 150. Who do you think is stronger?

sureshs 09-30-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCSF2012 (Post 6928321)
Serena's more bulky but not stronger. She looks like she can powerlift a house, but she still uses the Blade Lite.

C'mon man you know better than this. Pros lead up their frames. Her swingweight is much higher.

dangalak 09-30-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6928178)
But Serena is stronger than most male pro tennis players.
Stronger also is susceptible to things like cramps, muscle fatigue, and more energy used to play long points, which is why she likes to HIT the ball into corners to shorten points, not sustain endless rallies.

:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyBigShot (Post 6928283)
What would stop a guy from developing ground strokes like Sharapova or Serena? I know that most guys here probably try to coordinate their undies with whatever ATP players have under their shorts, but seriously what aspect og Serena/Sharapova's strokes aren't applicable to amateur men?

I doubt most amateur men need a WW FH to control their self-perceived massive FH.

I was talking about professional male players, not rec players.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6928324)

Didn't know that you were the average male pro. ;)

Can somebody explain to me how a guy like Del Potro doesn't miss every second ball long? He doesn't have an extreme grip, he finishes above his shoulder and has straight arm on contact. Isn't the purpose of spin to make sure that your shots don't go long? It's not like a guy of his power needs to be flat to be effective.

UCSF2012 09-30-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sureshs (Post 6928400)
C'mon man you know better than this. Pros lead up their frames. Her swingweight is much higher.

What lead? I ain't see no lead. Show me where the lead is on her racket. This particular pro doesn't use no lead.