Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Other Equipment (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Head Xtremesoft Overgrip (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441635)

Ramon 09-30-2012 01:55 PM

Head Xtremesoft Overgrip

I think I might have found a new favorite overgrip. I received a sample 3-pack of Head Xtremesoft (white) as a door prize for entering a tournament. Now that I've tried it, I might actually switch to it after my stash of Yonex Supergrap runs out. Here's why I like it:

- It is very thin and light. This has to be one of the thinnest overgrips on the market. It's probably even thinner than Wilson Pro. If you want an overgrip that doesn't change the size of your grip and you want to feel the bevels, this is a good one to try. If you're into racquet customization, and you want to minimize the weight contribution of the overgrip, that is another good reason to get it.

- Good traction. It's a little more rubbery feeling that Supergrap, and the rubbery feeling seems to give Xtremesoft better traction. Because it's so thin, it doesn't give you the rubbery old tire feeling of Prince ResiPro.

- It was a humid day today, and I never felt as if the grip was in danger of slipping out of my hand. It's definitely better than Wilson Pro in humid conditions, and it seems to be slightly better than Supergrap. I don't think it's as good as Tourna or Viper-Dry in humid conditions, but those grips don't have the thinness and feel that this one does. It will be interesting to see how it does when next summer comes around.

Has anyone else tried this? I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.

Andyroo10567 09-30-2012 02:09 PM

I went from Wilson Pro overgrip to Xtremesoft and found it to be very slippery after about 20 minutes of playtime. It was very nice in the beginning. I moved on to Microzorb

Ramon 09-30-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyroo10567 (Post 6928143)
I went from Wilson Pro overgrip to Xtremesoft and found it to be very slippery after about 20 minutes of playtime. It was very nice in the beginning. I moved on to Microzorb

I'll have to watch for that when summer comes around. There's definitely not enough mass to be able to absorb anything. I never tried MicroZorb, but I did try Ultra Zorb and thought it was too thick.

Torres 10-01-2012 02:38 AM

I've been using these for the last few years. Just prefer the feel and thickness over anything else.

The Meat 10-01-2012 03:16 AM

Switched to this overgrip for the hot humid season, played great. My only problem with the grip is the packaging, I wish they switched to a rolled up version because I had so many wrinkles on my overgrips.

Torres 10-02-2012 10:27 AM

^ You get rolled up versions in the 12 pack. Cheaper too, and no wrinkles. ;-)

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head...AD-HXS102.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6928122)
If you're into racquet customization, and you want to minimize the weight contribution of the overgrip, that is another good reason to get it.

It's 5-6g (yes, there are manufacturing variances), so in my experience, its not much different in weight to other OGs.

Tony II 10-04-2012 05:45 AM

Just stay away from black colored “xtremesoft”, it’s like different product … The white ones are Ok – soft and stays long-time tacky.

Head Xtremesoft and Pacific X Tack Pro – my favorites.

Andyroo10567 10-04-2012 01:51 PM

I used the red ones that i bought from my club.

cluckcluck 10-04-2012 01:59 PM

How do they compare to Gamma Supreme?

Andyroo10567 10-04-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cluckcluck (Post 6936036)
How do they compare to Gamma Supreme?

Gamma Supreme for me actually absorbed my sweat just fine. The Xtremesoft just left it on my hand and barely absorbed it so it was really slippery.

cluckcluck 10-04-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyroo10567 (Post 6936060)
Gamma Supreme for me actually absorbed my sweat just fine. The Xtremesoft just left it on my hand and barely absorbed it so it was really slippery.

Good to know. Thanks, I'll be sticking with the Supreme

BoomstickTPH 10-04-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony II (Post 6935001)
Just stay away from black colored “xtremesoft”, it’s like different product … The white ones are Ok – soft and stays long-time tacky.

Head Xtremesoft and Pacific X Tack Pro – my favorites.

What's wrong with the black ones?

Tony II 10-04-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomstickTPH (Post 6936522)
What's wrong with the black ones?

3 to 4 hours of use and black ones losing their tackiness, while white ones remain tacky approximately 4 to 5 times longer.
It seems illogical, but after several years of personal experience with the two colors overgrips, I’m using only white ones - even on clay court.
I have very dry hands and tackiness is crucial for me.