Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Stringsavers: What Is Their Effect? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441644)

WileyCoyote 09-30-2012 04:21 PM

Stringsavers: What Is Their Effect?

I strung my Juice 100 with Pacific Tough Gut at 55/58 full bed and really liked it. I look for ball pocketing/dwell time and this certainly provides it. It certainly had a LOT of power and felt great.

In order to make it last a bit longer as the fraying began, I installed a number of the Babolat string savers in what I think is the sweet spot of the piece--about a 6 main by 6 cross area

For sure, they tightened up the string bed and it plays crisper than it did earlier, but other than that, it still feels pretty much like it did before with a bit less power.

I have read posts where some folks think the string savers hurt the feel and will not use them.

What do the rest of you think about using string savers?

Harry

TonyB 09-30-2012 04:49 PM

Only real effect of string savers is that they help reduce fraying and wear.

Some people claim they tighten up the stringbed by a few pounds, but that depends on how many savers you install. If you only put in a few, then it won't have any effect. If you put in 10 or more, then you might notice a slightly tighter stringbed.

I like them for multifilament and natural gut strings. For other strings, I don't bother.

Say Chi Sin Lo 09-30-2012 04:56 PM

Shouldn't affect much, unless you go nuts glitter it up on your stringbed.

slowfox 09-30-2012 06:02 PM

They make you play like Sampras.

Ramon 09-30-2012 06:47 PM

I've tried the Babolat Elastocross string savers. They do what they are supposed to do, which is to give you a little more time when your strings look like they are about to pop. I don't particularly like the side effects. I used them on multifilaments, and it seems the strings move more and give less spin. That's why I no longer use them.

souledge 10-02-2012 12:13 AM

They reduce spin on natural gut as well?

Uvijek Argen 10-02-2012 02:01 AM

Im full bed natural gut user for the past year and yes I notice a difference when put some string savers. I dont use them anymore since I wax my strings with a canddle before and after playing. It works wonders, it keep the string moist and doesnt dry up. (I avoid playing clay courts)

Mongolmike 10-02-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uvijek Argen (Post 6930823)
Im full bed natural gut user for the past year and yes I notice a difference when put some string savers. I dont use them anymore since I wax my strings with a canddle before and after playing. It works wonders, it keep the string moist and doesnt dry up. (I avoid playing clay courts)

Just curious, is that legal to add a substance like candle wax to strings before a match? Is there any limitation to adding a material/substance to the string bed?

pvaudio 10-02-2012 07:47 AM

There is no reason why it would be illegal in this case. Adding things into the stringbed, however, is different.

Adidas_Anderson 10-02-2012 09:36 AM

I find it helps grips the ball a little bit more , depends on the string is it grippy itself :/

Mongolmike 10-02-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 6931148)
There is no reason why it would be illegal in this case. Adding things into the stringbed, however, is different.

Ok... just conversationally tho... couldn't/wouldn't the wax be imparted onto the ball as a foreign substance? And what is the limit to what a person could apply to the strings before it was deemed illegal? Grease? Apply super glue then sprinkle some sort of grit onto the glue?

I understand WHY wax would help maintain the natural gut, I'm just curious/surprised that it is allowed to be applied AFTER it is strung. Again, not trying to be a jerk, just wondering.

pvaudio 10-02-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongolmike (Post 6931393)
Ok... just conversationally tho... couldn't/wouldn't the wax be imparted onto the ball as a foreign substance? And what is the limit to what a person could apply to the strings before it was deemed illegal? Grease? Apply super glue then sprinkle some sort of grit onto the glue?

I understand WHY wax would help maintain the natural gut, I'm just curious/surprised that it is allowed to be applied AFTER it is strung. Again, not trying to be a jerk, just wondering.

As far as I am aware, the rule is anything placed or woven into the stringbed above the bottom cross is illegal. I presume that stringsavers are therefore excluded from this rule. Spraying things on strings is nothing new or unusual. It's when things are placed into the stringbed that comments are raised.

Uvijek Argen 10-02-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongolmike (Post 6931393)

Its all good Mongolmike, Im not the right person to know if its illegal or not. I do it like you said "to maintain the natural gut". But what i can said is that doenst add anything to playability, doesnt make "spin more the ball" or any of that mumble jumble. Its just make the gut more durable.

Mongolmike 10-02-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 6931401)
As far as I am aware, the rule is anything placed or woven into the stringbed above the bottom cross is illegal. I presume that stringsavers are therefore excluded from this rule. Spraying things on strings is nothing new or unusual. It's when things are placed into the stringbed that comments are raised.

Ok, thanks... I understand. Now, again out of curiosity, what type of stuff is sprayed on strings and for what purpose?

I tell you what... if I was playing USTA or a tourney and inbetween sets I see my opponent applying or spraying something onto his string bed.... I think I'd notify an official for clarification. Just doesn't seem right, but I certainly don't know all the rules.

Mongolmike 10-02-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uvijek Argen (Post 6931425)
Its all good Mongolmike, Im not the right person to know if its illegal or not. I do it like you said "to maintain the natural gut". But what i can said is that doenst add anything to playability, doesnt make "spin more the ball" or any of that mumble jumble. Its just make the gut more durable.

Yeah, and for the price of gut, anything to help is good. I suppose wax might help keep moisture off the gut too.. like from humidity or sweat.... I certainly wouldn't play with gut when it is a little damp out, even with the coating on some of the guts.

pvaudio 10-02-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongolmike (Post 6931592)
Ok, thanks... I understand. Now, again out of curiosity, what type of stuff is sprayed on strings and for what purpose?

I tell you what... if I was playing USTA or a tourney and inbetween sets I see my opponent applying or spraying something onto his string bed.... I think I'd notify an official for clarification. Just doesn't seem right, but I certainly don't know all the rules.

You can buy dry alcohol based lubricants on e Bay designed for the purpose. There was also an article (which the subjects of which wanted to part of) where it was stated that pros are using silicone spray on their stringbeds.

Readers 10-02-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 6931664)
You can buy dry alcohol based lubricants on e Bay designed for the purpose. There was also an article (which the subjects of which wanted to part of) where it was stated that pros are using silicone spray on their stringbeds.

Hi PV, on that topic, I am half way though my 5 bottle of performaxx, and stringpro's **** store is gone now/ is there a particular one you would suggest to replace them?

pvaudio 10-02-2012 08:16 PM

I honestly have no idea, I only had a demo bottle of it and didn't particularly think it made any difference (was using WT/CoFocus at the time).

Readers 10-02-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pvaudio (Post 6932380)
I honestly have no idea, I only had a demo bottle of it and didn't particularly think it made any difference (was using WT/CoFocus at the time).

Well, I use full bad gut, and they don't move(or snap back in place) if I use it...

Guess I will try some cheap silicone spray once I do run out.

fortun8son 10-02-2012 10:15 PM

a. The hitting surface of the racket shall be flat and consist of a pattern of crossed strings connected to a frame and alternately interlaced or bonded where they cross; and the stringing pattern shall be generally uniform, and in particular not less dense in the center than in any other area. The racket shall be designed and strung such that the playing characteristics are identical on both faces. The strings shall be free of attached objects and protrusions other than those utilized solely and specifically to limit or prevent wear and tear or vibration, and which are reasonable in size and placement for such purposes.
No mention of wax or silicone, though they would appear to fall under the exception.
That may be a slippery slope, however.:)