Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Racquets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dunlop Bio 200 Tour Thoughts (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441655)

shaneno 09-30-2012 05:01 PM

Dunlop Bio 200 Tour Thoughts

What are people thoughts on the Dunlop Bio 200 tour? Anyone like it? Anyone currently using it? Any information would help.

T.P3D0R 09-30-2012 05:56 PM

If you haven't played with Dunlop frame before, I highly recommend a demo. I bought a AG4D 300T based on receiving high remarks on these forums, but I didn't care for the feel at all. That's not to say that it's a bad frame, it just didn't suit this guy. Luckily for me, I bought them used and am going to return them. So either demo, or buy a used frame so that you have a safety net.

TimothyO 10-01-2012 04:22 AM

I've used the AG 4D 100, Bio 200 Lite, and now use the AG 4D 200 Tour. They all feel very solid and comfortable compared to other brands.

The Bio Tour is heavier with a lower SW than the 4D Tour so I can't comment directly on the Bio version. But the 4D version is very nice. You need to prepare early and swing smooth. Arming the frame won't work. To develop sufficient RHS you really need to use a full shoulder turn given the frame's relatively high SW. Do those things and you're rewarded with plush, very controllable power. Of all the frames I've owned this is my favorite on serve given its combination of power, accuracy, and spin potential. Volleys are another strong point as the frame is very stable.

T-ennis 888 10-01-2012 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 6929002)
I've used the AG 4D 100, Bio 200 Lite, and now use the AG 4D 200 Tour. They all feel very solid and comfortable compared to other brands.

The Bio Tour is heavier with a lower SW than the 4D Tour so I can't comment directly on the Bio version. But the 4D version is very nice. You need to prepare early and swing smooth. Arming the frame won't work. To develop sufficient RHS you really need to use a full shoulder turn given the frame's relatively high SW. Do those things and you're rewarded with plush, very controllable power. Of all the frames I've owned this is my favorite on serve given its combination of power, accuracy, and spin potential. Volleys are another strong point as the frame is very stable.

Timothy - I remember you asking questions about the 4D 200T a few weeks ago. Seems you're quite the convert now from the above comments! I'm glad you are enjoying it.

acura9927 10-01-2012 05:58 AM

Its a specialized racquet for me. I use it to play against the big hitters and if I want that extra oomph on the serve using the mass of the racquet instead of me bringing the heat. Its not easy to play with, on groundstrokes its a lot of work.

TimothyO 10-01-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-ennis 888 (Post 6929009)
Timothy - I remember you asking questions about the 4D 200T a few weeks ago. Seems you're quite the convert now from the above comments! I'm glad you are enjoying it.

Yes, it was a hard choice between the 200 and 200 Tour. I have two of each and like both for different reasons.

200: laser guided precision and extreme spin

200 Tour: stabilty and extra power that's still very, very controllable. extra comfortable too.

I wish I could breed the two products!

The deciding factor was the availabilty of Luxlinon 4G as a cross on the Tour. It really ups the control on the Tour's open stringbed so that it approaches that of the 200 base model.

I now have both Tours strung with VS and 4G and the comfort is outstanding, nothing like the other Luxilons I've tried. In a 4G world I can use open patterns again with comfidence.

The Dampener 10-02-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimothyO (Post 6929104)
I wish I could breed the two products!

I've often wondered why Dunlop doesn't do just that.

I think many of us would like to see a frame weighted similarly to the 200, only with a 16x19 or 16x18 string pattern.

yemenmocha 10-02-2012 11:29 AM

Great racquet. Wish is was just 1 or 2 tenths of an ounce lighter for me, and then it would be perfect.

shaneno 10-02-2012 12:12 PM

Yes I have to agree with you one that one. When I first got this racket felt more heavier then I originally thought. But I replaced the repleasment grip
Grip with a head soft replacement and it feels better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yemenmocha (Post 6931644)
Great racquet. Wish is was just 1 or 2 tenths of an ounce lighter for me, and then it would be perfect.

TimothyO 10-02-2012 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dampener (Post 6931260)
I've often wondered why Dunlop doesn't do just that.

I think many of us would like to see a frame weighted similarly to the 200, only with a 16x19 or 16x18 string pattern.

Exactly! Would be perfect.

TimothyO 10-02-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yemenmocha (Post 6931644)

Do give it some time. I think we're so used to lighter frames now soemthing like the 200 Tour feels heavy to us. It did to me at first but now I'm fine and really don't notice the difference anymore. TW Chris mentioned this in one of the reviews of the 200 line (the bio 200 tour IIRC). You can also eat tour wheaties!

But seriously, while I was going back and forth between the 200 and 200 Tour I sometimes felt like I didn't have enough RHS with the tour and lost some RPMs. Then, when I stuck with the Tour, after just a few days I was fine. Tonight I was back to hitting extreme spin on serve and groundies. My forehand was not only driving down with topspin it was also breaking with side spin. Just takes some time getting used to it, especially since the extra weight encourages (demands?) good form. I find that I'm playing smoother and more consistently with the Tour.

kaiser 10-03-2012 12:31 AM

I can vouch for that. I've been playing with the 4D200 Tours for almost 3 years now, and two different teaching pros I work with occasionally have both commented that my form and consistency have improved considerably over that time. And I'm 56! Never to old to learn, I suppose... (or is it hope...?)

Top Jimmy 10-03-2012 11:01 AM

Love my 4D 200 Tour (been demo'ing replacements in my other thread) but after a four match, 2 out of 3 set tournament my arm is cashed. Did that a few weekends in a row over the summer tournament schedule and i developed a dead arm. It's a beast, but a very rewarding beast. Maybe if you use compact strokes it wouldn't be tiring but my semi to full western forehand, big one handed topspin backhand, going for bombs on first serve, it wears me out.

Love being almost 39 and trying to play like a 16 year old!

acura9927 10-03-2012 11:16 AM

For me to use my 200 Tour requires sweet swings like Richard Gasquet. Not that I can do 1% as well as him.

The Dampener 10-03-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiser (Post 6932724)
...and two different teaching pros I work with occasionally have both commented that my form and consistency have improved considerably over that time.... (or is it hope...?)

This may be the single greatest benefit to using the 200T. It's unforgiving if your timing and technique are off. But it is truly rewarding if they're on. If you have just a little determination, the 200T will make you better.