Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Co Focus Hybrid - what Cross?? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441664)

lcalamar 09-30-2012 07:40 PM

Co Focus Hybrid - what Cross??

I'm pretty much sold on MSV Co-Focus - and I like using OGSM as a cross.

However - before I get spools of both I'm looking for a few more suggestions.

I've tried Forten Sweet - and liked OGSM better - due to being more crisp and it seemed - better control.

I hear mixed reviews on a mulit as a cross - but I'm open to that if it is an inexpensive one that will have decent durability.

The #1 option I read - is a Gut Main with the Co-Focus cross - but that is probably too pricey for me - unless I can be convinced it is not more expensive due to durability?

What I like about the Co-Focus OGSM is good control and decent power.

What I don't like - is it plays stiff initially and took a couple hours to get to optimal playability.

FoldingChair 09-30-2012 07:58 PM

if you were thinking about a hybrid of cofocus with gut, you could try mantis comfort synthetic with the cofocus. I personally love the setup

lcalamar 09-30-2012 09:56 PM

What tension are you doing this setup at?

NE1for10is? 10-01-2012 02:04 AM

I've been using gut and I love it. It lasts a long time.

FoldingChair 10-01-2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcalamar (Post 6928786)
What tension are you doing this setup at?

CoFocus Mains and Mantis Comfort Synthetic all at 54. Comfy, nice level of touch, and spin friendly

lcalamar 10-01-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NE1for10is? (Post 6928919)
I've been using gut and I love it. It lasts a long time.

What Gut are you using - (cost?) and are you using Gut in the Mains or Crosses? What tension?

Would I get equal value if I go with Gut - whereas it will outlast the cofocus/syngut hybrid?

NE1for10is? 10-02-2012 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcalamar (Post 6929945)
What Gut are you using - (cost?) and are you using Gut in the Mains or Crosses? What tension?

Would I get equal value if I go with Gut - whereas it will outlast the cofocus/syngut hybrid?

I'm using Wilson natural gut 16. Pacific will also work, just stay clear of the Babolat gut that uses BT7, because it is much stiffer. The gut goes in the mains and the poly in the crosses. I'm currently at 57/52 lbs, but you'll probably have to play around with the tension, as that depends a lot on the frame you're using. Just go at least 4 lbs or around 10% lower on the poly. The nice thing is if you don't like the poly tension you can leave the gut in the mains and cut out the poly and try again at a different tension.

I'm not one to ask about value. I tend to get whatever plays and feels the best and restring long before there's any breakage.

lcalamar 10-07-2012 08:04 AM

Thanks - I ordered some Pacific Classic gut and I'll string it as 57 gut mains and 52 Co-Focus cross - and I'll see for myself - excited to try this.

My other racket has 52 Co-Focus Mains and 56 OGSM crosses - so that will be an interesting comparison