Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   General Pro Player Discussion (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Can you rank these women in terms of big hitting? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441677)

dangalak 10-01-2012 12:38 AM

Can you rank these women in terms of big hitting?
 
I mean, if these players were to face each other, who would overpower whom?

Henin, Clijsters, Capriati, Seles, Kuznetsova, Sharapova, Dementieva, Azarenka, Graf, Li Na, Ivanovic

Keep in mind that overpowering doesn't mean winning. I'm pretty sure Hingis didn't hit anywhere as big as Seles, yet she would typically beat her.

Li Na :)
Sharapova
Ivanovic
Seles
Kuznetsova
Dementieva
Capriati
Clijsters
Graf
Henin
Azarenka

Russeljones 10-01-2012 01:06 AM

Obvious question: where is Lindsay Davenport?

Babolatbarry 10-01-2012 01:58 AM

Don't the Williams sisters hit it hard too....?

PSNELKE 10-01-2012 02:37 AM

Davenport had the smoothest shotmaking abilities I have ever seen on the WTA Tour.

DRII 10-01-2012 04:19 AM

Most pace: Venus Williams

Consistently heaviest ball: Davenport

Serena is somewhere in the middle.

DRII 10-01-2012 04:22 AM

Out of the women you chose (somewhat randomly it seems like); Sharapova hits the heaviest off the ground, but Azeranka hits the ball earlier (almost as early as Seles did).

NadalAgassi 10-01-2012 05:50 AM

Li Na
Sharapova
Graf
Seles
Henin
Clijsters
Kuznetsova
Dementieva
Ivanovic
Capriati
Azarenka

Would be my order I guess

halalula1234 10-01-2012 06:53 AM

Seles
Li na
Dementieva
Sharapova
Azarenka
Henin
Ivanovic
Clijsters
Graf
Capriati

Its very had to order them. they are all really powerful!
except i would go with seles for having the most powershots consistently + most accurate.

Probably graf or clijsters or ivanovic for the forehand

and henin or sharapova and seles for backhand

NadalAgassi 10-01-2012 08:19 AM

There is no way Graf is so far behind Seles in power as you have her. Even when Seles was dominating the game she was flat out overpowered by Graf in some one sided losses at Wimbledon 92, U.S Hard Courts 91, most of the match at Hamburg 91, having way less winners, and being bullied around the court by Graf's serve and forehand power. So to have them that far apart is impossible.

Also there is no way Dementieva, Azarenka, Ivanovic, and Clijsters are more powerful than Graf. Ivanovic's only powerful shot is her forehand, and even that is far less than Graf's was. Ivanovic the biggest forehand, LOL, Kvitova, Na, and Serena can all shred her off that side, even a 33 year old semi retired mommy Davenport did. Azarenka and Dementieva have only moderately good power at best.

MSK 10-01-2012 08:22 AM

Laura Robson

Gizo 10-01-2012 11:59 AM

What about Mary Pierce? In terms of raw power on her groundstrokes, she has to be right up there.

NadalAgassi 10-01-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizo (Post 6929696)
What about Mary Pierce? In terms of raw power on her groundstrokes, she has to be right up there.

This is a wierd list as it doesnt include Serena, Venus, Davenport, Kvitova, Pierce, Lucic, who arguably all hit harder than anyone on the original list. Even Huber, Majoli, Maggie Maleeva, Myskina, Barbara Schwarz, Kimiko Date, Tulyganova, Nadia Petrova, and others hit harder than some of the women on the OP list.

Power Player 10-01-2012 12:19 PM

Stosur hits bigger than any of them.

bluetrain4 10-01-2012 12:24 PM

Seriously, no 2-time Slam winner (and 4-time RU) Mary Pierce? Smacked the heck out of the ball. When "on" she was pretty scary. Certainly one of the hardest hitters ever.

BTW, I immediately posted after seeing the poll. Now I see that some people have already questioned Pierce's absence.

Gizo 10-01-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 6929734)
This is a wierd list as it doesnt include Serena, Venus, Davenport, Kvitova, Pierce, Lucic, who arguably all hit harder than anyone on the original list. Even Huber, Majoli, Maggie Maleeva, Myskina, Barbara Schwarz, Kimiko Date, Tulyganova, Nadia Petrova, and others hit harder than some of the women on the OP list.

Agreed. Azarenka especially was a strange choice to have on a list like this.

Obviously winning junior slams doesn't mean a player is necessarily going to have successful pro career, but the recent US Open girls' champion Samantha Crawford is incredibly powerful, both with her serve and from the back of the court.

It will be interesting to see how she progresses over the next few years.

dangalak 10-01-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russeljones (Post 6928894)
Obvious question: where is Lindsay Davenport?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSNELKE (Post 6928934)
Davenport had the smoothest shotmaking abilities I have ever seen on the WTA Tour.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRII (Post 6929003)
Out of the women you chose (somewhat randomly it seems like); Sharapova hits the heaviest off the ground, but Azeranka hits the ball earlier (almost as early as Seles did).

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 6929091)
Li Na
Sharapova
Graf
Seles
Henin
Clijsters
Kuznetsova
Dementieva
Ivanovic
Capriati
Azarenka

Would be my order I guess

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 6929314)
There is no way Graf is so far behind Seles in power as you have her. Even when Seles was dominating the game she was flat out overpowered by Graf in some one sided losses at Wimbledon 92, U.S Hard Courts 91, most of the match at Hamburg 91, having way less winners, and being bullied around the court by Graf's serve and forehand power. So to have them that far apart is impossible.

Also there is no way Dementieva, Azarenka, Ivanovic, and Clijsters are more powerful than Graf. Ivanovic's only powerful shot is her forehand, and even that is far less than Graf's was. Ivanovic the biggest forehand, LOL, Kvitova, Na, and Serena can all shred her off that side, even a 33 year old semi retired mommy Davenport did. Azarenka and Dementieva have only moderately good power at best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalAgassi (Post 6929734)
This is a wierd list as it doesnt include Serena, Venus, Davenport, Kvitova, Pierce, Lucic, who arguably all hit harder than anyone on the original list. Even Huber, Majoli, Maggie Maleeva, Myskina, Barbara Schwarz, Kimiko Date, Tulyganova, Nadia Petrova, and others hit harder than some of the women on the OP list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizo (Post 6929781)
Agreed. Azarenka especially was a strange choice to have on a list like this.

Obviously winning junior slams doesn't mean a player is necessarily going to have successful pro career, but the recent US Open girls' champion Samantha Crawford is incredibly powerful, both with her serve and from the back of the court.

It will be interesting to see how she progresses over the next few years.

I didn't put up WS, Davenport and Pierce since I am already sure that they hit harder than any of these.

This list was for players I wasn't sure about.

NadalAgassi 10-01-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangalak (Post 6929964)
I didn't put up WS, Davenport and Pierce since I am already sure that they hit harder than any of these.

This list was for players I wasn't sure about.

Fair enough but Azarenka doesnt belong with those others. She isnt even that big a hitter. I would say in sheer power she is as far behind the very top (Serena) as she is ahead of say Wozniacki or Radwanska.

dangalak 10-01-2012 02:14 PM

I find it weird that you consider Ivanovic so low. I mean, she may not be Pierce, but she regularly overpowered Kuznetsova whom you have above her IIRC.

NadalAgassi 10-01-2012 02:19 PM

Ivanovic's peak was really short. Are we considering just peaks or whole careers. Kuznetsova often plays without a brain, but when she was on fire she hit bigger overall than Ana ever did IMO. Have you ever seen Ana hit bigger than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1UXm0fMWhU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrVogvTxe4o

Consdering Ana's peak tennis was only mid 2007-mid 2008 and Svetlana's only showed up about 20% of the time throughout her prime of 2004-2009 they probably played about the same amount of peak tennis, with Ana consistently produced over a small time period far more likely to occur the times they played during this period. Anyway I didnt watch all their matches, but maybe Ana was just a bad matchup or someone Kuznetsova developed a mental block against, I dont know, I dont judge how I rate their abilities and power just on their H2H though.

Ana's only real powerful shot is her big forehand. What other weapons or big power shots does she have? Backhand, no, Serve, not really, Net game, LOL! That is the main reason I gave Kuznetsova the edge. She can attack from more shots than Ana can.

rdis10093 10-01-2012 02:31 PM

umm what about caroline?











jk.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse