Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Stringing Techniques / Stringing Machines (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Problem with Alpha Revo clamp (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441711)

dode 10-01-2012 08:27 AM

Problem with Alpha Revo clamp

I got this stringer about 6 months ago lightly used. I don't know how old it actually is. It has the 5 tooth clamps on it. It has been pretty good for me so far. However, one of the clamps is a little loose in the base, so it has quite a bit more drawback than the other clamp (I have swapped the clamps from base to base, and it is definitely the clamp). This really hasn't been a huge issue, other than I have switched to using predominantly natural gut mains, and sometimes on the crosses if I am not very careful, it draws back enough that it will dig into the mains. This has not been an issue with the natural gut, but did cost me a set of some very soft multifilament in that the clamp basically cut all the way through the main string when stringing one of the last crosses. I have not gotten out the measuring devices to see exactly how much clearance there is, but it is too much. The clamp itself is in good working order, I just need to tighten up that clearance a little.

Anyone have any ideas on a good way to do this? I tried tightly stretching some finishing tape around it, but that was too much and it wouldn't slide down in. I need probably like half of that thickness. I thought about paint, but I don't know that that is a viable long term solution. I just don't want to lose a set of gut over this. I'd rather not have to buy a new clamp either since otherwise it works very well.

Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

John

Irvin 10-01-2012 09:27 AM

Sounds like you need to make some adjustments. if you don't have a manual call Mark at Alpha and see if he can help you

dode 10-01-2012 09:44 AM

It isn't an adjustment related problem. The problem is that the OD of the clamp is too small in comparison to the ID of the base in which it slides. The cam lock and such on the base works properly.

John

jim e 10-01-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dode (Post 6929433)
It isn't an adjustment related problem. The problem is that the OD of the clamp is too small in comparison to the ID of the base in which it slides. The cam lock and such on the base works properly.

John

if it is the diameter of the clamp issue , then only solution is clamp replacement. Seems like if you have 2 clamps and each is different size, then who ever sold you machine had multiple clamps and evidently gave you a wrong clamp. Like someone stated call Alpha.Seems like clamp is needing replaced for proper one.

Irvin 10-01-2012 12:24 PM

Are they Alpha clamps or do you think maybe someone could have replace the original clamps with some lower grade clamps?

dode 10-01-2012 12:35 PM

No, they are the Alpha clamps. I mean the one is probably only a couple thosandths different, but enough that especially as it is raised up, it has a noticeable amount more play than the other. I will measure them tonight. If I call them, would I even be able to specify that diameter? There appears to be no damage or wear to the shaft on the clamp. I think it has been this way since new probably. I would hate to get another one just like the one I have.

John

Irvin 10-01-2012 01:28 PM

As a fix you could push the base of the clamp toward the tensioner before you lock the base but make sure you don't apply too much pressure so you increase tension on the string.

Brocolt 10-13-2012 04:57 PM

I have an older Alpha. does it have a glide bar fixed clamps. One of mine had alot of slack in the glide rail and I had to tighten the nut at the end of the base were it slides. If it is the clamp itself if you tighten the nut on the clamp it will snug up. careful not to much it smashes the string. One other trick I learned not related is my linear gripper was scuffing the strings and I found by folding a buisness card and putting it in the gripper and laying the string in the card cleaned up all the scuffing.