Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Adult League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Recreational players' videos? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441721)

T-Vex 10-01-2012 10:43 AM

Recreational players' videos?

Hi.

I found that youtube lacks with videos of recreational tennis, specified as "4.0", "3.5" etc. level.

There are only few of those, and I would really really like to see how 4.5/5.0 game looks like on a more wide sample, just to be sure where to put myself with my current skills (since Im not sure am I closer to 4.0 or 4.5).

Any help with that?
Some kind of a "recreational leagues videos database"? :D
Thanks

cluckcluck 10-01-2012 10:58 AM

Check out the tennis tips and instruction section of this forum. plenty of videos there from all sorts of levels.

T-Vex 10-01-2012 11:29 AM

Tx for replying, but I could use more help than that.

It would take me just to long reviewing all those random threads :oops:

samarai 10-01-2012 11:35 AM

Videos wont tell you a thing. If you want a rating play against a couple of players with a rating and then you can decide for yourself. Its always easier to rate yourself lower and work your way up.

T-Vex 10-01-2012 11:57 AM

I would just like to see some recreational videos, ok? :oops:

goober 10-01-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samarai (Post 6929546)
Videos wont tell you a thing. If you want a rating play against a couple of players with a rating and then you can decide for yourself. Its always easier to rate yourself lower and work your way up.

Pretty much this ^^^. 3.5-4.5 players can't be reliably discerned IMO based on short videos. Besides no matter what you think you see, it doesn't matter because if you try to self rate against it you may be way off.

You could always post a video of yourself and take comments from the peanut gallery. :)

Kenzik 10-02-2012 07:28 AM

I think your best bet will be just youtubing '4.0 tennis' and checking out some of the videos that pop up. You could also try using the search tool and search 'videos' in the Tennis Tips/Instruction" section and see if anyone has posted a video of them playing. Hope that helps.

beernutz 10-02-2012 07:59 AM

http://vimeo.com/17172769

RedWeb 10-02-2012 08:12 AM

^^^^
I know videos make players look worse than they really are but those two 4.0 players would not get a sniff on most decent 4.0 teams here in the Dallas area.

Govnor 10-02-2012 09:25 AM

I haven't ever seem myself in a video....I'm not sure I ever want to either. I'm sure it would be very humbling.

RedWeb 10-02-2012 10:03 AM

I have and it is.

Mike Y 10-02-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedWeb (Post 6931204)
^^^^
I know videos make players look worse than they really are but those two 4.0 players would not get a sniff on most decent 4.0 teams here in the Dallas area.

All recreational players look bad on video. They look like normal 4.0s to me.

dizzlmcwizzl 10-02-2012 11:20 AM

I'll bite, since you want someone else to do the work for you.

I have posted a bunch of videos of myself and the work I put into my game over the last year. Here is a recent video I uploaded. In this video you have 2 middle level 4.0 s ... and 2 low level 4.5 s. I will let you decide who is whom.

You can access more of my videos at this thread. Almost everyone in these videos is a well established 4.0 with the occasional 4.5 sprinkled in.

Govnor 10-02-2012 11:33 AM

wow. guy in the red has the funniest serve action I've ever seen. Good though. I would assume those are the 4.5s.

Is this the infamous court with the banking at the side/back??? haha!!!

beernutz 10-02-2012 11:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTJB3...eature=related

gmatheis 10-02-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzlmcwizzl (Post 6931533)

I have posted a bunch of videos of myself and the work I put into my game over the last year. Here is a recent video I uploaded. In this video you have 2 middle level 4.0 s ... and 2 low level 4.5 s. I will let you decide who is whom.

You can access more of my videos at this thread. Almost everyone in these videos is a well established 4.0 with the occasional 4.5 sprinkled in.

Are you the guy in orange ?

dizzlmcwizzl 10-02-2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Govnor (Post 6931553)
wow. guy in the red has the funniest serve action I've ever seen. Good though. I would assume those are the 4.5s.

Is this the infamous court with the banking at the side/back??? haha!!!

Yes it is!

IA-SteveB 10-02-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Govnor (Post 6931341)
I haven't ever seem myself in a video....I'm not sure I ever want to either. I'm sure it would be very humbling.

You aren't kidding. The first time I recorded myself serving and just general hitting, I was shocked. What I thought I was doing and what I was seeing were entirely different and not in a good way.

T-Vex 10-02-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Thank you for that, all to all the other for their inputs!

I've done youtubeing in the past, but obv with wrong keywords being used. Today I youtubed "4.0 tennis" as suggested here, and I got few good vids.

But, the thing I find most annoying and disturbing about these videos are the comments!
It seems most people on this world are sooo sooo out of touch with reality, I find it hilarious to see 3.5 players insultind a vid of solid 4.5 play, claiming "I would trash both of those guys", and comments like that!

If those 3.5 morons would ever tape themselves while playing, I think they would've throw up :oops: :)

Someone here said all recreational players look bad on video. Yes, at first. And its definitely true shots look significantly slower on videos then IRL, but it's also true that people that don't know what to look at will always make such stupid comments about guys well above them!

Of course 4.5 tennis looks funny comparing to 7.0 TV tennis, but heck, that only proves how hard is this sport to learn!

floridatennisdude 10-03-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

That looks like typical, solid 4.0's that I see around here. Would assume none of these guys would get embarrassed at 4.5.