Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Polys that play ok at higher tensions? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441722)

Brian11785 10-01-2012 10:52 AM

Polys that play ok at higher tensions?

It seems the conventional wisdom is that polys should be strung around of below 50 lbs. And that poly loses tension quickly.

Ignorant of these facts over a year ago, I strung some Gamma Zo Tour 16 that my friend gave me at my normal tension (which was 59 lbs. on a Yonex RDIS300--this is one pound shy of the max. range. It lasted me longer than the string I was using at the time (Prince Lightning XX) with it being playable throughout.

I've also recently played with and liked Topspin Cyber Flash 16 @ 60 lbs (mid-tension on my RQIS 1 Tour XL.) What struck me with this string was how well it seems to hold its tension. It was a little stiff, which I don't mind since I have two-handed strokes on both sides, but the tension feels about the same as when I strung it over a month ago (I play about 8 hours a week.) I mean, I thought polys were supposed to be terrible at maintaining tension.

So my question is:

Is my experience unique? This string job with the Cyber Flash strings has already lasted me twice as long as my previous string job: 850 Pro multi, which began to catapult the ball at a certain point. And the tension feels about the same as when I strung it over a month ago (I play about 8 hours a week.)

Also, are there any specific polys that hold tension well and remain playable at around 60 lbs.?

Roger Wawrinka 10-01-2012 10:57 AM

I think it's whatever you like. I have clients that string full poly at 58 and 60 pounds. If it feels okay, and it's not hurting your arm then I would keep going with your setup. It is true that poly's loses a lot of tension after the first few days but again if you like it, keep it.

Also, Luxilon 4G holds tension very well.

Best of all you can buy it right from TW

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Luxi...-LUX4G125.html

Brian11785 10-01-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Wawrinka (Post 6929457)
I think it's whatever you like. I have clients that string full poly at 58 and 60 pounds. If it feels okay, and it's not hurting your arm then I would keep going with your setup. It is true that poly's loses a lot of tension after the first few days but again if you like it, keep it.

Also, Luxilon 4G holds tension very well.

Best of all you can buy it right from TW

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Luxi...-LUX4G125.html

Thanks for the reply!

I have heard about the tension drop, but (I SWEAR) this Cyber Flash plays about the same as it did 20 court-hours ago. Is this a case of it truly not losing much tension, or is there something else about it (the stiffness?) that leads to it feeling like it's not lost much tension and leading to balls not sailing long as they would with my multi at this point in the stringjob's life?

filphil 10-01-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian11785 (Post 6929501)
Thanks for the reply!

I have heard about the tension drop, but (I SWEAR) this Cyber Flash plays about the same as it did 20 court-hours ago. Is this a case of it truly not losing much tension, or is there something else about it (the stiffness?) that leads to it feeling like it's not lost much tension and leading to balls not sailing long as they would with my multi at this point in the stringjob's life?

When I kept track of poly tension with a gamma ERT 300, I noticed that there is a point where the tension plateaus and does not drop anymore. I classify this as a dead poly. It may be that you've hit that plateau as well and have been hitting that way for the past 20 hours.

Brian11785 10-01-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filphil (Post 6929525)
When I kept track of poly tension with a gamma ERT 300, I noticed that there is a point where the tension plateaus and does not drop anymore. I classify this as a dead poly. It may be that you've hit that plateau as well and have been hitting that way for the past 20 hours.

Is this "dead"-ness necessarily a bad thing? I mean, I assume I probably am not getting the spin potential I would from a fresh stringjob. But I hit the ball relatively flat anyway. Is there something to be said for having a predictable string job that stays the same over the life (or afterlife) of the string, even if it is "dead"? I mean, I like the feel more than the feel of any type of string I've ever used, other than a few multis, which, for me, become unplayable after about a week.

filphil 10-01-2012 11:42 AM

When it hits that point my balls simply land shorter when I take my normal swing. It's opposite of what it would be for other string where lower tension often have the balls sailing. What happens from what I can tell is the the resiliency of the string is depleted and you're left with a rock hard string bed. I wouldn't play with a full bed of dead poly as that is often associated with an eventual case of tennis elbow.

The Meat 10-01-2012 12:43 PM

I strung my friend's Babolat Pure Drive with Genesis Typhoon 17 Gauge at 60lbs. Played very nicely, saw a slight drop in tension after the first hitting session and stayed solid until it broke.

Brian11785 10-01-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Meat (Post 6929656)
I strung my friend's Babolat Pure Drive with Genesis Typhoon 17 Gauge at 60lbs. Played very nicely, saw a slight drop in tension after the first hitting session and stayed solid until it broke.

Doakes! He got name-dropped on last night's episode.

Brian11785 10-01-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by filphil (Post 6929557)
When it hits that point my balls simply land shorter when I take my normal swing. It's opposite of what it would be for other string where lower tension often have the balls sailing. What happens from what I can tell is the the resiliency of the string is depleted and you're left with a rock hard string bed. I wouldn't play with a full bed of dead poly as that is often associated with an eventual case of tennis elbow.

Yeah, that makes sense. Though, as I said, hitting 2HBH and 2HFH probably helps me avoid the tennis elbow compared to the average person.

Sander001 10-01-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian11785 (Post 6929501)
Is this a case of it truly not losing much tension, or is there something else about it (the stiffness?) that leads to it feeling like it's not lost much tension and leading to balls not sailing long as they would with my multi at this point in the stringjob's life?

Yeah I think that's it. The tension has dropped but it feels like it hasn't because its stiffness has gone up(due to losing its elasticity).

I like high tensions and poly and used Black Code 18 @ 62/60 and it was awesome. The most amazing ball pocketing I've ever had.
I strung up Black Widow 18 @ 65/64 but it was too tight, next time I'll go 61/59. Now that the tension's gone down though after a few hours, it's very good, low powered and spinny but the edges have completely worn off on the sweetspot(still good spin though)
Tour Bite 18 @ 64lbs was ok. I may try lower tensions if there's a next time.
Last but certainly not least is Gamma Black Ice 18. Unreal grab and bite, the ball is no longer round. Outstanding angles are available. Was strung @ 63/61lbs.

Brian11785 10-01-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sander001 (Post 6930053)
Yeah I think that's it. The tension has dropped but it feels like it hasn't because its stiffness has gone up(due to losing its elasticity).

I like high tensions and poly and used Black Code 18 @ 62/60 and it was awesome. The most amazing ball pocketing I've ever had.
I strung up Black Widow 18 @ 65/64 but it was too tight, next time I'll go 61/59. Now that the tension's gone down though after a few hours, it's very good, low powered and spinny but the edges have completely worn off on the sweetspot(still good spin though)
Tour Bite 18 @ 64lbs was ok. I may try lower tensions if there's a next time.
Last but certainly not least is Gamma Black Ice 18. Unreal grab and bite, the ball is no longer round. Outstanding angles are available. Was strung @ 63/61lbs.

Good to hear. I have some Tour Bite 17 that I got in a trade here. Will have to try the Black Ice as well. My stringer raves about the Dunlop Black Widow. There are bunch I need to experiment with.

tlm 10-01-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian11785 (Post 6929449)
It seems the conventional wisdom is that polys should be strung around of below 50 lbs. And that poly loses tension quickly.

Ignorant of these facts over a year ago, I strung some Gamma Zo Tour 16 that my friend gave me at my normal tension (which was 59 lbs. on a Yonex RDIS300--this is one pound shy of the max. range. It lasted me longer than the string I was using at the time (Prince Lightning XX) with it being playable throughout.

I've also recently played with and liked Topspin Cyber Flash 16 @ 60 lbs (mid-tension on my RQIS 1 Tour XL.) What struck me with this string was how well it seems to hold its tension. It was a little stiff, which I don't mind since I have two-handed strokes on both sides, but the tension feels about the same as when I strung it over a month ago (I play about 8 hours a week.) I mean, I thought polys were supposed to be terrible at maintaining tension.

So my question is:

Is my experience unique? This string job with the Cyber Flash strings has already lasted me twice as long as my previous string job: 850 Pro multi, which began to catapult the ball at a certain point. And the tension feels about the same as when I strung it over a month ago (I play about 8 hours a week.)

Also, are there any specific polys that hold tension well and remain playable at around 60 lbs.?

It is unique around here I use poly at tensions in the high 60's and love the way they play strung tight. One of my partners uses lux bb ace at 70 lbs. in a 90 sq. inch racket and believe it or not it does not feel that stiff, he has been using that set up for years.

As far as a poly that holds tension well I have not found one yet, but as you have found when strung tight it is not near as noticeable. But there are many that play well at high tensions such as rpm blast or rpm team, yonex poly tour spin and dunlop black widow just to name a few.

TennisCJC 10-03-2012 07:25 AM

Signum Pro polys, Tecnifibre polys, and L-Tec polys are good at maintaining tension. Downside is they are fairly expensive. You need to try them.

SigPro Tornado and Hyperion are excellent.

Tecnifibre BlackCode is excellent.

L-Tec 0S is excellent.

I use all 17G polys. 18G loses tension faster in general. 16G might be better for tension retention but it will normally be a bit stiffer too.

Some like hi-tension (> 52 lbs) poly but I encourage you to try 52 lbs or less. Even if it is not causing pain now, it may in the long term. Maybe 54 Lbs if you are playing an OS racket.

fortun8son 10-04-2012 12:02 AM

I think Gamma Zo Twist can be strung higher than others.
Especially in larger frames.
After the initial tension drop, it seems to stabilize.

Old Chemist 10-05-2012 09:22 AM

Interesting thread!

I know this goes against the common dogma, but I found Solinco Tour Bite 17G had more pop, feel and spin at 62 lbs than at 52 lbs.
Unfortunately, my arm was a little sensitive to this string after a few hours of playing with it at either tension.