Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Junior League & Tournament Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Strings, stiffness and tension for an 8 year old (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441727)

Le Tenis 10-01-2012 11:06 AM

Strings, stiffness and tension for an 8 year old

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and would greatly appreciate some advice regarding regarding strings and the best tension for my 8 year old who has been playing for four years. I am considering getting the Yonex ezone lite which has a stiffness rating of 65 and stringing it with Babolat natural gut. Not sure what the best tension would be for her age and everyone I talk to has a different opinion. She currently plays with a APD in 26 inches which has a stiffness of 63 according to the specs on tennis warehouse. From what I have gathered from reading other posts here, it seems that she would be better off in an adult lite frame. I was able to get her to consider Yonex over Babolat because she loves Ana Ivanovic and Maria Kirilenko! Thanks in advance!

TCF 10-01-2012 11:21 AM

================================================

Le Tenis 10-01-2012 11:46 AM

Thanks TCF! I was hoping you would reply because I really enjoy reading your posts!! I was considering the VS Natural Team Gut 17g. should I have it strung at 57 as well? She was told to aim for the back fence or back curtain by Macci so any extra power would be appreciated ;-) Also do you think the Yonex ezone lite would be too stiff? Yonex seems to have some interesting technology but I'm not sure if it's more hype lol I am going to have her demo the Babolat that your daughter loves too. Thanks again!

Tennishacker 10-01-2012 12:07 PM

This was recently discussed.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=437840

BirdieLane 10-01-2012 12:33 PM

I kept all my kids in shorter rackets longer than most and it probably hurt their early tourney results but I feel it contributed to some very good technique.

In particular, having a shorter racket that you can 'wield' better will greatly help with volleys, especially one-handed BH volleys, slice BHs, overheads, and nice serving motions. Also, having a racket proportional to the kids height will help with 'scramble' type games/drills where you get put into more defensive/improv situations including slice backhands, squash forehands, reflexive situations. Heck, even tweeners :) I personally think especially girls lack the ability to improv. I.e. most have no idea how to run down and flick a lob over shoulder or play the ball in other awkward positions - and putting them in a big racket too early certainly won't encourage it.

The full size racket for that young of age might help give depth and pop in tourney play on the FH and 2 handed BH, but I feel it inhibits you on technique with regards to serve, volleys, slice BH. It's about levers and proportions. A five foot kid leveraging a 27 inch racket would be like me trying to play with a 32+ inch racket...which would be very challenging and frustrating.

This all said, choices can be limiting but there are a number of quality 26 inchers out there. (Also, the Babby TCF mentioned is a great first 27 inch racket...I woudl just hold off until she's 5 feet at least).

Le Tenis 10-01-2012 01:32 PM

Thank you TennisHacker I did read that thread with great interest but I guess I'm looking for the magic number for tension given my scenario. ..

andtapes 10-01-2012 01:48 PM

You shouldn't change the racquet length. Kids with shorter racquet improve their strokes faster thank kids with long racquets and the tension should be around 48 pounds

gplracer 10-01-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andtapes (Post 6929799)
You shouldn't change the racquet length. Kids with shorter racquet improve their strokes faster thank kids with long racquets and the tension should be around 48 pounds

Get ready! Here come the responses....:-)

My son was competing fine in the 12s with a 26 inch racket. He has now moved to a 27 inch at 10 but he is 5'2".

Le Tenis 10-01-2012 02:06 PM

Thanks BirdieLane! I was concerned about technique as well! Great points that you bring up too. She is going to try it out but Will probably keep practicing serves with the 26 in racquet until she transitions fully...

Le Tenis 10-01-2012 02:10 PM

Thank you GPLRacer Was looking for a magic number I will try out 48 lbs! :-) does anyone know if the 26 APD is the same technology as a 27? Not sure what "shares the same technology" really means !!

andfor 10-01-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Tenis (Post 6929856)
Thank you GPLRacer Was looking for a magic number I will try out 48 lbs! :-) does anyone know if the 26 APD is the same technology as a 27? Not sure what "shares the same technology" really means !!

I believe is does. I have a child who plays with the APD Jr. 26.5 in version. Best I can tell it's the same as my full size APD I use, just shorter and much lighter. Don't think they offer the 26.5 in. version anymore.

Be careful. Some posters here are adamantly against anything less than 27 in. For me they need to have some resemblance of form before steping up to 27. For and 8 yr. old you're pretty close to needing to go to 27 depending on how skilled your player is now.

TCF 10-01-2012 04:00 PM

Le Tenis 10-01-2012 05:04 PM

Thanks TCF! After reading yours and other posts on here I went out and tried to hit a ball or two with my daughters 25 Babolat PD. It was such a horrible experience just trying to hit a regulation ball from the baseline to the opposite baseline. In fact, I felt so guilty afterwards for having made her play with the 25 for the last year and a half because it must have been really awful to hit hard with it. The 26 APD was much better to hit with without that jarring effect that the 25 had. I did not rally with it I merely tried to hit a ball over with the 25. They should really sell them with a warning that they are for low compression racquets only...
Ordered a bunch of 27 demos and will see how it turns out!! I agree with your point about serves and volleys. She really doesn't volley much at all- only at lessons- and primarily is working on developing her
groundstrokes which are looking very good technique wise so far.

Le Tenis 10-01-2012 05:08 PM

Just one more questions TCF! Would you string the Babolat VS Nat Team Gut at 57 lbs if I pick a 27 in racquet on the higher range of stiffness that you recommend ? Like a 64 or 65 stiffness... Thanks again :-)

TCF 10-01-2012 08:21 PM

TCF 10-01-2012 08:25 PM

================================================== ==============================================

dirkpitt38 10-02-2012 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCF (Post 6930558)
I will defer to your stringer. Let him make the call based on meeting your daughter, her size, the frame you pick, her style, etc.

Modern racquets have tension ranges the manufacturer recommends and there is no reason to go outside of these. My guess is your stringer will say somewhere around 55-58.

TCF have you thought about getting into politics!!!I love it 55-58!!!!:)

Le Tenis 10-02-2012 07:03 PM

Thank you to everyone who helped me! I really appreciate it!!!

widmerpool 10-03-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gplracer (Post 6929810)
Get ready! Here come the responses....:-)

Yeah, I had a sick feeling in my stomach scrolling down.