Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Travel (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   4.0 doubles in Oakland/Berkeley, CA? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441740)

GS 10-01-2012 12:25 PM

4.0 doubles in Oakland/Berkeley, CA?

LeeD 10-02-2012 07:54 PM

I could meet on Friday, or Thursday, around 10:45 or 11 until the wind starts around 2.
I live in SanPablo, so have to drop off the g/f at 10 before heading over.
RoseGarden is where I normally play, pickup doubles, from noon till 2.
1-510-902-1702 I think is my phone.
I lost access to regular internet, so be patient.

top__spin 10-02-2012 10:02 PM

Don't mean to hijack your thread but do you guys ever play anywhere near San Jose?
Or do you know anyone who does?

LeeD 10-03-2012 11:25 AM

Sorry, my phone number is 1-510-501-1702. I wasn't thinking clearly, as I was at the USDA computer, several technicians wanted my space, and I was in a rush.
Of course, I haven't dialed that number ever, since it's my cell phone, in at least 1.3 years.
Sorta fixed the home computer, so it's the best way to contact me.
I used to live on Racine and 60th St., for a few months.
The RoseGardenCourts at Berkeley is another choice, closer for me, and has 3 courts with usually 5-8 doubles players, but only 2 or 4.0 nowadaze.

LeeD 10-08-2012 07:46 PM

Just refreshing here....
This is about my 7th try to meet a fellow TT forum member to hit, but everytime except for Alex, they don't respond.

Larrysümmers 10-08-2012 09:53 PM

one of these days we'll hit Lee :D

LeeD 10-09-2012 02:22 PM

Yes.
My real phone number, until I get kicked out anyways, is 1-510-501-1702.
I'm in SanPablo, California. Can drive up to maybe 20 miles one way (that's 50 bucks gas and bridge fees), and as you know, suck as a slow footed 4.0 who's more a doubles player nowadaze than singles.
All the area guys on this forum ignore my attempts at contact, while Kiteboard would be wasting his time hitting with a lowly 4.0.

GS 10-09-2012 03:25 PM

Lee, I'm tryin my best to arrange some doubs, but it's pretty tough to get four 4.0 players together on a weekday morning in the East Bay. I thought it would be easy. I'll keep trying....
If I can't, I might have to join a club next year (after the annual rain stops).

LeeD 10-09-2012 08:24 PM

I got my really strong hitting 4.0 bud to show up on Friday to the RoseGardens, Euclid and Eunice in Berkeley. Around noon.
Usually, a bad looking but 4.5 doubles guys shows up around then. This guy uses same racketface on all strokes except serve, Hawaiin grip.
Henry, the little Chinese guy who got bumped to 4.0 a month ago usually shows up around noon.
Amy, a former No. ONE Norcal A woman might show up, but she can't run anymore, still has a A/Open woman's forehand.
I"m recovering from a pulled shoulder, when my harness line snapped after going a full minute at 27 mph at Berkeley. I couldn't let go fast enough. I can play, but 1/2 speed forehands and serves. Don't know how backhands are gonna go, but I can hang with my volleying. Haven't picked up a racket since it happenned on Monday last week.
Let's shoot for RoseGarden, just before noon, on Friday.

LeeD 10-10-2012 08:18 PM

Update....
My 4.0 bud can't make it. His shop is getting busy now, the owner back from vacation.
Still, you should drop by the RoseGarden around noon with your gear. There's a 70% chance you can drop into 4.0 level doubles (not the recent bumpup, those guys play with the old farts).
Anyways, it only a 15 minute drive from Racine and 59th.

LeeD 10-11-2012 01:24 PM

So, GS, are we on for Friday at Noon, RoseGarden.
If you're not coming, I'm not either. G/f wants to windsurf, my arm is still aching, my bud is working.

GS 10-11-2012 02:44 PM

Lee, I can only play on weekday mornings.

LeeD 10-11-2012 03:00 PM

Oh, sorry, I"m not reading with two eyes.
Hmmm... mornings could be tough. I sleep till 9 usually.
Don't only the old folks play in the mornings?
SanPablo, no, not until noon does the doubles crowd show.
Davies no, it's all PM tennis.
Hopkins has a pretty good 4.0 early weekend game, but that starts around 7:30AM.
CrownBeach is all PM tennis, more like 4 than 2.
GoldenGatePark in SF has old fogies doubles starting at 10.
I"m stumped too.

siata94 10-18-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by top__spin (Post 6932537)
Don't mean to hijack your thread but do you guys ever play anywhere near San Jose?
Or do you know anyone who does?

I visit SJ and SF every summer and have tried many of the supposedly good local courts for pickup and it's been pretty dismal at best. The only success I've had was to contact USTA members via the website and met up. Perhaps I'll look you up next summer...

LeeD 10-18-2012 05:51 PM

You just need to know which courts are pickup, and which are all partnered or prescheduled.
I listed SanFrancisco's main pickup courts, but if you don't go to them, I can't help you. I also listed some Berkeley/Oakland courts that are mainly pickup 4-4.5 levels.
I didn't mention any of the Marin pickup courts, because nobody asked.

RobFL 05-09-2013 10:01 AM

Hello, i'll be in Emeryville off and on for the next 6 months. I'm 55 yrs old and a solid 4.5. I'd play in your dubs game if you'll have me and its not too unbalanced.

Overall can you point me to the best tennis hub in the Oakland area to get networked in with 4.5 type players, singles and dubs? I have a flexible daytime schedule when i'm in town, just need to find some guys who are always up for a quality hit. Here thru May 12 on this trip then back on May 20. Use srob12 at hotmail and if we connect i'll forward a cell # and a non-spam email address.
Thanks!

LeeD 05-09-2013 10:31 AM

My email address has like 600 spam things to get rid of....
Emeryville, weekends, the courts right there, behind the Holiday.
SanPablo courts, weekends starting around 9AM to 2PM, pickup 3.5-4.5.
BerkeleyTennisClub, but that's invite usually, and pay for courts.
We can meet at SanPablo courts on Friday, around 10-1 or so. It's pickup tennis has slipped down to 3-4.0, because they allow the 3.0's to mix in constantly. Ruins my interest and tennis. But Josh, a solid 5.0, hit there with his Dad, and they invite anyone to hit with them. My phone is 510-501-1702, leave message because I"m working in the backyard now and will be windsurfing this afternoon.

Papa Mango 05-09-2013 01:39 PM

Friday AM San Pablo courts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobFL (Post 7397936)
Hello, i'll be in Emeryville off and on for the next 6 months. I'm 55 yrs old and a solid 4.5. I'd play in your dubs game if you'll have me and its not too unbalanced.

Overall can you point me to the best tennis hub in the Oakland area to get networked in with 4.5 type players, singles and dubs? I have a flexible daytime schedule when i'm in town, just need to find some guys who are always up for a quality hit. Here thru May 12 on this trip then back on May 20. Use srob12 at hotmail and if we connect i'll forward a cell # and a non-spam email address.
Thanks!

I can hit Friday morning 9:30am or later at the San Pablo courts,
4.0 here (strong/weak you can decide after a hit..)
email is papamango at gmail

RobFL 05-09-2013 01:43 PM

Papa, thanks, yes let's hit tomorrow. I'll shoot you an email from my gmail acct. Rob

LeeD 05-09-2013 02:21 PM

Cool, I'll swing by a little later, closer to 10:15 or so's.
6 courts there, usually 2-3 taken by old fart weak hitting doubles.
Josh might be there with old Dad, orange clothing, using a million tennis balls.
So there should be an availible court, at least.
I'm the skinny Asian lefty with a scary looking limp. If you see Roger with two little dogs, try to ask him to hit. He's a REAL good 4.0, lefty, and a nice guy.