Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   College Tennis Talk (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Chances of being seen by a college mainly through highschool and not USTA? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441754)

Babolatbarry 10-01-2012 12:28 PM

Chances of being seen by a college mainly through highschool and not USTA?

I'm not one of those kids that can play USTA tournaments 3 to 5 times a month.... and just wondering if there are any colleges that don't solely use USTA as their base of search?
I apolgize if I seem a little green on this subject.

ClarkC 10-01-2012 12:42 PM

Can you play USTA once a month? Much better than not playing at all. Uphill battle (to say the least) if you never play USTA.

Babolatbarry 10-01-2012 12:55 PM

Yes I believe I can most months, and during the summer I can probably do 2, but it's in a whole different section as I love in NC but spend all my summer in Florida.

floridatennisdude 10-01-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babolatbarry (Post 6929763)
I'm not one of those kids that can play USTA tournaments 3 to 5 times a month.... and just wondering if there are any colleges that don't solely use USTA as their base of search?
I apolgize if I seem a little green on this subject.

It will severely limit you. Coaches look at tourney results as a proving ground. High school tennis is such a wide range of skills that it doesn't tell anything significant.

That being said, it's not impossible. I don't have an example to provide of a player that did it, but there has to be one. I'm a big fan of kids playing high school tennis. If kids think they are too good for it, they should home school and train full time.

As Clark stated, even a minimum amount of tourney play is a good idea. Being an NC resident spending the prime recruiting time in FL doesn't mean you can't play here. You'll just be blocked out of section Closed events. But, between Tampa and Orlando alone, there is 2 or 3 events on any given weekend to play. Less up near Jacksonville, but a lot down in South Fl as well. TRN will pick up results from any event you play. That's the more important ranking than a state or section.

Babolatbarry 10-01-2012 01:26 PM

Ohh I see.
I actually played 2 tournaments down there and only got 4 matches played..(2-2) That's my problem. I need to figure out a way to win main draw matches (but of course that comes down to my ability) so my wins dont give me as many points as they could, I think.

andfor 10-01-2012 01:28 PM

Play once a USTA once a month in NC. They have many tournaments. Play 2-3 local tournaments in FL during 3 summer months. That's 15-18 USTA tournaments a year. Even if you don't play USTA during H.S. season you could still get in 12-15 USTA each year. More than enough to build a track record and get noticed by some colleges. BTW their are many DI, DII, DIII, NAIA and even a couple of JUCO tennis programs in NC. You play your cards right and you could have many options for college.

Babolatbarry 10-01-2012 01:39 PM

what is NAIA and JUCO? Like I said I'm new to this college tennis thing -_-

and also, how do I get on Tennisrecruiting.net?

Babolatbarry 10-01-2012 02:14 PM

Thanks guys for your help btw

andfor 10-01-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babolatbarry (Post 6929919)

NAIA are typically smaller private 4 year schools, there are a few that are pulblic. JUCO's/NJCAA schools, same thing, are Junior Colleges, 2 year schools.

To get on TRN ranking list you have to play a few USTA tournaments and there will have to a enough TRN ranked players in the draw for it to count toward your ranking. Read the FAQ on http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/

Babolatbarry 10-01-2012 04:17 PM

Oh.....shouldve looked at the FAQ first!

andfor 10-01-2012 04:26 PM

It's a great site and resource. You can find all the colleges in your state that have tennis teams.

3fees 10-01-2012 04:57 PM

Yes,,colleges do look at high school players,,some send scouts to HS matches,they usually show up for local league finals-varsity,place high in State ranking, State tennis tournament and you'll chat with a few,,otherwise you convince a coach of a college- jr,Div 1 or Div 2 that ya have what it takes and get in that way,,or try out when the team is forming and make it that way,,3 ways are better than 2 ect.

:)

floridatennisdude 10-01-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3fees (Post 6930313)
Yes,,colleges do look at high school players,,some send scouts to HS matches,they usually show up for local league finals-varsity,place high in State ranking, State tennis tournament and you'll chat with a few,,otherwise you convince a coach of a college- jr,Div 1 or Div 2 that ya have what it takes and get in that way,,or try out when the team is forming and make it that way,,3 ways are better than 2 ect.

The parts of this post that are actually legal by NCAA rules, are highly unlikely.

cmb 10-01-2012 07:15 PM

well now you can play at almost any junior college if you have the level since they put a limit on foreigners.

The JUCO Powerhouse Laredo CC is struggling to get a full roster on the boys side...and not even close on the girls team. (hopefully ur american)

Babolatbarry 10-02-2012 01:41 AM

yes im american!

andfor 10-02-2012 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmb (Post 6930538)
well now you can play at almost any junior college if you have the level since they put a limit on foreigners.

The JUCO Powerhouse Laredo CC is struggling to get a full roster on the boys side...and not even close on the girls team. (hopefully ur american)

I had said that for many programs roster limitations would lead to some teams struggling to fill all 6 spots. Some like me would say that's not a good consequence. Others would say time for the coach to work harder at recruiting Americans. Let's hope roster limitations next unintended consequence is not colleges dropping teams due to lack of participation.

More American tennis players will find it easier to play JUCO tennis due to the new rule.

10s4US 10-02-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3fees (Post 6930313)
Yes,,colleges do look at high school players,,some send scouts to HS matches,they usually show up for local league finals-varsity,place high in State ranking, State tennis tournament and you'll chat with a few,,otherwise you convince a coach of a college- jr,Div 1 or Div 2 that ya have what it takes and get in that way,,or try out when the team is forming and make it that way,3 ways are better than 2 ect.

Yes local colleges will send out scouts to HS section or state championships
however most if not all those players are that good because theyve played
against good players.usually lots of USTA matches(I cant remember one singles player that wasnt a USTA player in our HS section champs)
Bottomlines are ability, potential, personality, team needs(openings)
High rankings can get you to the stage to be seen
Play as many matches and USTA matches practice, train on and off court (run)
as you can wherever you are
get good
some people make videos
have it supervised and or reviewed by a tennis pro
this also may get to the stage but you'll still need to perfom live
Contact schools you are interested in (start locally)
sample different levels of schools
find out which schools ARE open to looking at you play
read up on what college coaches look for
it is all over the net
look at/join tennisrecruiting.net see which schools are recruiting
lower stars (ones and twos) etc
see what type of school YOU are looking for public, private,large, small
has a football/basketball team ,doesnt, cirriculum, setting,location
While you probably wont get athletic financial assistance ( schools only get/give 4 1/2 mens scholarships/yr) there is usually need based academic scholarships, which are a lot easier to get if you have decent/good grades
Also, if you get cant make a college team most major schools have NCAA campus squads that play other schools and intramural teams chock full of high school players
Good Luck

Babolatbarry 10-02-2012 06:24 PM

I have a 3.2 gpa....doubt that's high enough to get a scholarship!

Sumo 10-03-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babolatbarry (Post 6929919)

Guilford in Greensboro is an example of a NAIA school.
Small schools, usually good academics with smaller emphasis on athletics.

tennisjon 10-03-2012 02:44 PM

I am a college tennis coach at Drew University in Madison, NJ. Although we love to see kids who play tournaments since it gives them good competition and practice dealing with adversities on the court, schools that are not giving out scholarships, such as D3 or many other schools at other levels that don't have them, the tournaments aren't as important. Unless you talking about an elite program, there will be open tryouts that will allow you to show what you got against the current roster and other freshmen. Tournaments and rankings may put you on a coach's radar, but unless you are in search of an athletic scholarship, it isn't really necessary.