Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Pros' Racquets and Gear (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Pro Stock Racquets 101 (Head) (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441755)

GringoLatino7 10-01-2012 12:32 PM

Pro Stock Racquets 101 (Head)

Hello to all you hackers :)

I have been spending too much time on this forum and for all you noobs in the same boat as me trying to learn about Pro Stock Racquet this is what I've read ...primarily from vsbab's posts, and he/she (you never know) seems to know their stuff.

Later on I will write about Wilson Pro Stock racquets, this is a summary of Head Pro Stocks.

Pro stock racquets are racquets designed for the pros/high level players. The reasons (taken from another post) for getting pro stock racquets are as follows:

- You want matched frames
- You want a lighter hairpin to work with
- You like the way they are set up
- They were used by your favorite pro
- You want something to hang on your wall
- You want characteristics that are hard to find in retail racquets that you can find in a specific pro stock
- You want extended length frames
- You want a molded or articulated grip
- You want a heavier version and don't want to put silicone and lead in yourself

Now for the fun stuff! Most of the touring pros on TV play with "old" racquets painted to look like a new racquet. The racquets have paint jobs on them. Previously the name of the pro stock racquet would be printed on the inside of the throat, but now (post 2011), to hide the truth of pro stock racquets, the code can be found underneath the grip, under the pallets.

The MAIN Head pro stock racquet molds that you will hear mentioned are:
PT10 = Prestige Classic 600
57A = Pro Tour 630 (RA 53-57)
57E = Pro Tour 630 (RA 58-62)
57F = saw one of these on another forum, don't know much about it other than....(using the M&Ms/Santa Clause voice..."they doooo exist!"

There are others PT161 (LM Instinct),PT167 (FXP Radical MP) but most of the hype online is about the 57A/E/etc or PT10.

If you see a Head racquet with a TGK or TGT code they are ALL made in China, do my understanding they are just lighter hairpins, which make them easier to customize.

Only certain pro stock racquets are made in Austria, most are made in China. Also the TGK has no Twaron...I assume the TGT's have no Twaron as well but correct me if I'm wrong.

If you want to buy a Pro Stock Racquet used the price ranges from $250-$350...again...correct me if I'm wrong. NEW pro stock racquets...yes, "they do exist" run you $500!!!!

The questions I have to further my knowledge are the following:
- Are all PT10s, 57A's, 57E's still made in Austria with Twaron.
- How do these racquets compare to retail sticks in general. Smaller sweetspot? Less power, etc?
- One post I read said everything can be altered (Swingweight, Balance, etc) even flex? Is it possible to alter flex?
- Does balance affect SW? Ex. If I had two 57a's, same static weight, same swing weight...but the balance of one was 8pts HL strung and the other was 4pts HL strung, with the SW being the same would you be able to tell a difference?
- Why is it so hard to find a PT10, 57A/E in an open string pattern?
- Assuming you're a Head sponsored player, can you just tell them..."I want the PT10 with a flex of 57 or 65 or whatever?" Does flex come from the mold? How do they make a racquet more or less flexible?

I guess that's enough for now...maybe I should start a blog :)
Pro Stock Racquets 201 coming soon!

For all of you still reading...this is my perfect setup:
- traditional Head feel (again, anything prior to the intelligence series)
- open pattern
- max 21.5mm beam
- min. 6pts HL strung
- sw 330-333 strung
- RA 63-64

Here is a video of me playing if you have a minute to spare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j4wlOFWsjQ

Circa 1762 10-01-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GringoLatino7 (Post 6929771)
- Does balance affect SW? Ex. If I had two 57a's, same static weight, same swing weight...but the balance of one was 8pts HL strung and the other was 4pts HL strung, with the SW being the same would you be able to tell a difference?

I know nothing about pro stock, but the answer to your second question above is yes. Rackets with the same weight and SW but different balances will absolutely swing and play differently. I speak only from experience, but I don't think anyone here will disagree (and there's probably physics to support). You can think of balance and SW as being two separate variables. Stock rackets with higher SW-to-weight ratios tend to also be less head light, but this isn't necessarily the case.

greg280 10-01-2012 02:46 PM

so many people miss the point regarding pro stock frames........my reason is they or the ones i use have totally different points of flex than the retail counterparts. they feel different and they are different!!!???? i can take a retail kblade 98 and lead and silicone it to say 13 ounces with a 32cm balance.... strung. my h22, same weight and balance hits a better more solid ball with better feel and control. 5.0 level plus. for the love of god does anyone here get it yet??? christ.

greg280 10-01-2012 02:55 PM

nice strokes gringolatino7! impressed.

Fearsome Forehand 10-01-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg280 (Post 6930039)
so many people miss the point regarding pro stock frames........my reason is they or the ones i use have totally different points of flex than the retail counterparts. they feel different and they are different!!!???? i can take a retail kblade 98 and lead and silicone it to say 13 ounces with a 32cm balance.... strung. my h22, same weight and balance hits a better more solid ball with better feel and control. 5.0 level plus. for the love of god does anyone here get it yet??? christ.

No one "here" gets it except maybe a few people. Most of the stuff that is posted on this board is laughable. The various theories posted as facts about certain rackets and materials are amusing. You have to take almost everything with a large grain of salt.

Second the nice ground strokes. If I lived in hotlanta I would say let's hit out. :)

NLBwell 10-01-2012 04:30 PM

Good to see someone else who hits the backboard intensely. Forehand looks very solid. Backhand seems to spray if you aren't in excellent position. Keep enjoying your tennis and even though finding out about all of this is very interesting, don't take your equipment too seriously.

greg280 10-01-2012 04:31 PM

agreed fearsome forehand.

Fuji 10-01-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Hello to all you hackers :)

If you want to buy a Pro Stock Racquet used the price ranges from $250-$350...again...correct me if I'm wrong. NEW pro stock racquets...yes, "they do exist" run you $500!!!!

The questions I have to further my knowledge are the following:
- Are all PT10s, 57A's, 57E's still made in Austria with Twaron.
- How do these racquets compare to retail sticks in general. Smaller sweetspot? Less power, etc?
- One post I read said everything can be altered (Swingweight, Balance, etc) even flex? Is it possible to alter flex?
- Why is it so hard to find a PT10, 57A/E in an open string pattern?
- Assuming you're a Head sponsored player, can you just tell them..."I want the PT10 with a flex of 57 or 65 or whatever?" Does flex come from the mold? How do they make a racquet more or less flexible?

I guess that's enough for now...maybe I should start a blog :)
Pro Stock Racquets 201 coming soon!

For all of you still reading...this is my perfect setup:
- traditional Head feel (again, anything prior to the intelligence series)
- open pattern
- max 21.5mm beam
- min. 6pts HL strung
- sw 330-333 strung
- RA 63-64

Here is a video of me playing if you have a minute to spare:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j4wlOFWsjQ

Hey there!

Just for one, your prices are a bit off. They range anywhere from around $130-$1000+ depending on who they were used by and what exactly they are. (I've bought my fair share throughout the past few years :razz:)

Depending on the stick, the sweet spot can be smaller or larger then retail counterparts. The PT series play like their "old" counterparts. Small sweet spots with a fair amount of flex and depending on the set up, low powered.

Pretty much all specs can be altered to my knowledge really depending on the pro who is using them. Lead tape / silicone specs are easy to change and decide on due to the extremely light hairpins. Flex I'm not sure on. (To be clear, I've never seen a "stiff" PT series.)

For me, yes it would be different to play with different balanced rackets. Hence the fact people like to buy matched pairs/trio's/quads etc.

With the PT series, it's tough to find an open pattern for the sheer fact as far as I know, only top pros are using them. I know Murray uses the open pattern 57A, but off the top of my head I honestly can't think of any one else who does. (Ever seen a AM frame for sale? They are pretty hard to come by!)

Layups are also pretty different, as someone mentioned with flex points. (I have some prostock prestige mids, that flex in way different spots then the retail version making them feel pretty cool IMO, but as you may see, I'm not good enough to play with them as my normal sticks!) Hence, that even though one may have matched sticks in spec to retail, if they flex points are different then the sticks will never truly feel the same.

-Fuji

Power Player 10-01-2012 05:01 PM

Nice strokes..I could never hit the wall that hard and then keep my shots in the court right after though.lol.

Lefty78 10-01-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

57E = Pro Tour 630 (RA 58-62)

traditional Head feel (again, anything prior to the intelligence series)

Humorous post

PT57E = iPrestige MP

GringoLatino7 10-01-2012 06:01 PM

Quick Questions:
1) The PT10 (Pro Tour 630) what is the headsize? Did/does it come in multiple headsizes, Mid, MP, etc

2) Same question but for the 57A (PC600)

GringoLatino7 10-01-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GringoLatino7 (Post 6930437)
Quick Questions:
1) The PT10 (Pro Tour 630) what is the headsize? Did/does it come in multiple headsizes, Mid, MP, etc

2) Same question but for the 57A (PC600)

how do you delete a post! lol

OK so I got them mixed up..sue me...the PT10 is the PC600 and the 57A is the PT630...my apologizes...still tell me the headsize(s) please

Fearsome Forehand 10-01-2012 06:08 PM

The Pro Tour MP is 630cm 97inches.

The Prestige Mid is 600cm 93inches (or 90 depending how one measures.) According to Head, 93.

Fuji 10-01-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 6930450)
The Pro Tour MP is 630cm 97inches.

The Prestige Mid is 600cm 93inches (or 90 depending how one measures.) According to Head, 93.

The Prestige Mid is actually 89.5. :razz:

-Fuji

Fearsome Forehand 10-01-2012 06:19 PM

It used to be 89.5 and then the marketing guys made it magically grow to 93. :)

Maybe they sprinkled some twaron on it. :roll:

GringoLatino7 10-01-2012 06:27 PM

So is this accurate?
- The PT10 (PC600) was only available in a mid, any anything I see for sale online I can assume it's 89.5/93 in2?
- The PT57A (PT630) was only available in a MP, """""" 97in2?

Thanks!

Fuji 10-01-2012 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 6930469)
It used to be 89.5 and then the marketing guys made it magically grow to 93. :)

Maybe they sprinkled some twaron on it. :roll:

Bahahahaha yes!

-Fuji

Adidas_Anderson 10-04-2012 10:31 AM

Just a question why a pt57a can be so much expensive than the prestige tgt series?
because of the low flex?

Hidious 10-04-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adidas_Anderson (Post 6935599)
Just a question why a pt57a can be so much expensive than the prestige tgt series?
because of the low flex?

I guess because of where they are made + the hype/rarity factor.

Down_the_line 10-04-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg280 (Post 6930039)

Settle down there, champ. Maybe some people, like myself, just don't have the time to take equipment that seriously. Some people don't care. I'm fine with simply buying a racquet off the shelf in retail form, stringing it up how I like and maybe experimenting with some lead tape.

I do have one question, though. The consensus seems to be that Djokovic really uses a Microgel Radical MP under his IG Speed paintjob. What would the code for that be, seeing as how it sounds like every frame has a code?