Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Gut Recommendations (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441758)

Fletch92626 10-01-2012 12:59 PM

Gut Recommendations
 
I am looking for gut recommendations as alternatives to VS and equally pricey products. I play at the 4.5 level, with a Babolat AeroPro GT and hybrid the string bed (gut and Cyclone). Before I begin experimenting with KLIP Legend and other guts, I'd appreciate the benefit of your playing experience.

sunof tennis 10-01-2012 03:06 PM

I play with Klip Legend and use Pro Sonic as a cross. Other people really like Pacific (I believe it is the Classic).
The VS Tonic is also a slightly cheaper alternative to regular VS.

slowfox 10-01-2012 11:30 PM

I like Pacific Classic a lot. Nice crisp feel, but still springy and comfortable.

McLovin 10-02-2012 03:36 AM

I'd say on the scale of 'feeling closest to VS', it would be:

Tonic + > Pacific Classic > Klip Legend

I'm now giving Legend a go as Pacific raised prices $3 a pack a few months back. So far, I can tell a difference in feel (Legend is a tad stiffer), but it is not clear that there is any difference in playability. All things being equal, I'd take Pacific Classic over Legend, but I'm not certain Classic is "$4 better" (Classic used to be $1 more than Legend).

I'm crossing it w/ Co. Focus 1.23, BTW.

TennisCJC 10-02-2012 06:22 AM

McLovin has it correct.

For the mid-priced guts:

#1 is Babolat Tonic+ BallFeel 16G
#2 is Pacific Classic 16G
#3 is Klip Legend 16G

Legend has the thinnest coating and is more difficult to string - it will kink/twist easily while stringing and with normal stringing some area may unravel a bit. In spite of the poor coating on Klip Legend, it still plays well.

Babolat Tonic+ BallFeel has a good coating and the best feel - soft with excellent control and spin.

Pac Classic is just a small bit behind Tonic+ - classic is not quite as durable and the coating is not quite as good. Also, plays a bit crisper.

I have not played the cheap guts - Titan, Global, Goucho, ...

Ramon 10-02-2012 06:28 AM

Have any of you noticed the effect of BT7 on Tonic? Apparently, it seems that many people think Tonic is still better than Pacific Classic, despite the BT7.

McLovin 10-02-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6931111)
Have any of you noticed the effect of BT7 on Tonic? Apparently, it seems that many people think Tonic is still better than Pacific Classic, despite the BT7.

Well, I must confess that I have not used Tonic + in a while, so I can't speak to it's latest version. But I thought that was the beauty of Tonic +, that it was still 'BT7-free'. Is that not the case?

Ramon 10-02-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 6931212)
Well, I must confess that I have not used Tonic + in a while, so I can't speak to it's latest version. But I thought that was the beauty of Tonic +, that it was still 'BT7-free'. Is that not the case?

On a competitor's site, BT7 is in the description and printed on the package for Tonic+ Ball Feel.

tedescm1 10-02-2012 08:00 AM

Natural Gut.
 
I have two racquests which are Wilson Pro Opens. I had one strung with tonic and the other strung with titan. They are both 16 g and strung at 52 pounds.

I can't tell the difference between the two...they are very close.:)

M

McLovin 10-02-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramon (Post 6931252)
On a competitor's site, BT7 is in the description and printed on the package for Tonic+ Ball Feel.

As yes, I now see it as "Tonic + w/ BT7" two sites: The one in the mid-west, and the 'whole-a-bird' one.

tedescm1 10-02-2012 08:04 AM

Natural Gut.
 
I have two racquets which are Wilson Pro Opens. I had one strung with tonic and the other strung with titan. The strings are both 16 g and strung at 52 pounds.

I can't tell the difference between the two...they are very close.:)

M

McLovin 10-02-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedescm1 (Post 6931297)
I have two racquests which are Wilson Pro Opens. I had one strung with tonic and the other strung with titan. They are both 16 g and strung at 52 pounds.

I can't tell the difference between the two...they are very close.:)

M

I've used Titan many times as a cross to a friend's Kevlar. A few things about Titan:
- First, I'd never use it in the mains. It would likely break in one set, maybe two.
- Second, their gauge is not consistent throughout the string. I've seen "16g" go from 15L - 17 within 15ft.
- Third, no two packages seem alike, not only in gauge, but also in color. Some are clear, some are yellow.
So, Titan as a cheap cross is OK, but for the mains, I'd stay away from it.

Ramon 10-02-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 6931310)
I've used Titan many times as a cross to a friend's Kevlar. A few things about Titan:
- First, I'd never use it in the mains. It would likely break in one set, maybe two.
- Second, their gauge is not consistent throughout the string. I've seen "16g" go from 15L - 17 within 15ft.
- Third, no two packages seem alike, not only in gauge, but also in color. Some are clear, some are yellow.
So, Titan as a cheap cross is OK, but for the mains, I'd stay away from it.

I've thought about using econoguts in the mains of a gut/poly cross. My reasoning is the poly will die pretty quickly anyway.

tedescm1 10-02-2012 08:18 AM

Titan....
 
I've also noticed the variation of the titan thickness. The 16g looks more like 15 g......I've used it on the entire bed and it seems to hold up. But then I'm older and do not hit the ball real hard.




Quote:

Originally Posted by McLovin (Post 6931310)
I've used Titan many times as a cross to a friend's Kevlar. A few things about Titan:
- First, I'd never use it in the mains. It would likely break in one set, maybe two.
- Second, their gauge is not consistent throughout the string. I've seen "16g" go from 15L - 17 within 15ft.
- Third, no two packages seem alike, not only in gauge, but also in color. Some are clear, some are yellow.
So, Titan as a cheap cross is OK, but for the mains, I'd stay away from it.


recreationalplayer 10-04-2012 04:02 PM

I use Babolat Tonic+ BallFeel 16G with Babolat string savers and love the set-up.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2006 - Tennis Warehouse