Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Tennis Tips/Instruction (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Open Stance 2HBH (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441785)

Fuji 10-01-2012 05:14 PM

Open Stance 2HBH

Hey all,

I remember reading a thread on this, but for some reason I cannot find it. I've been practising my 2HBH to hopefully make the eventual switch to it from the 1HBH, and I've been getting really solid results with the open stance. That being said, I really haven't seen many others like that. Mostly I see slightly closed / closed shoulders.

Is there any major disadvantage I'm missing from hitting an open stance? Obviously I'm pretty new at the stroke, and I just want to make sure I'm not making some huge mistake early in development.

Thanks!

-Fuji

SoBad 10-01-2012 05:15 PM

I would look at Yuzhny - his bh is a hybrid.

LeeD 10-01-2012 05:45 PM

To hit with open stance, it means you can reach the ball relatively easily. If you need to run through the shot in a running 2hbh, you need to be able to hit with closed stance, or slice it 1hbh.
Just like a forehand, a 2hbh is really a forehand with the other hand, and strong hand along for the ride and to provide some stability.
Nothing wrong with open stance 2hbh, but be aware your reach for a topspin shot is limited, but your ability to hit topspin sharp angled CC might be enhanced.
Obvoiously, you lose some backswing, but make up for that with more WW finish.

Fuji 10-01-2012 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeD (Post 6930409)
To hit with open stance, it means you can reach the ball relatively easily. If you need to run through the shot in a running 2hbh, you need to be able to hit with closed stance, or slice it 1hbh.
Just like a forehand, a 2hbh is really a forehand with the other hand, and strong hand along for the ride and to provide some stability.
Nothing wrong with open stance 2hbh, but be aware your reach for a topspin shot is limited, but your ability to hit topspin sharp angled CC might be enhanced.
Obvoiously, you lose some backswing, but make up for that with more WW finish.

Definitely some good points LeeD. I noticed I was able to rip it down the line and cross court with relative ease as long as I got there in time to set up. When I was more closed, I had a really hard time getting the ball to penetrate the court, often leaving it sitting up near the service line.

-Fuji

LeeD 10-01-2012 06:01 PM

Couple of years ago, when FernandoVerdasco was a relevant top 6, the announcer's pointed out how he hit all his 2hbh's with an extremely closed stance, limiting his potential for very sharp angled CC 2hbh's. His ability to hit 2hbh's DTL was very good, extremely high percentage, and something he did over and over again. But he seldom hit any 2hbh's sharp angled CC.
He ended up losing the match to a rightie, I forgot who, but his opponent covered his own backhand volley and camped on his own backhand side.

boramiNYC 10-01-2012 06:14 PM

but a lot of pros with excellent 2hbh use the closed stance most of the time. even for excellent sharp angle CC's. Nishikori is one example. anyways OP good luck with the transition.

Larrysümmers 10-02-2012 09:08 AM

thats the beauty of tennis, we can move and dont have to be stationary. want a CC angled shot, open stance, rip er down the line, close the stance up.