Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   TW Questions/Comments (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   TW Private Label Grip Pallets (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441788)

Racquet Daddy 10-01-2012 05:19 PM

TW Private Label Grip Pallets

Come on, guys. You already have a leather grip, so take the next step and make some Wilson-shaped pallets for Head racquets (and even Volkl). You've seen the boards - many a guy and gal would buy these out each month. It's gold, baby - GOLD!

SFrazeur 10-01-2012 05:40 PM

If it's so "GOLD!" why don't you make them and sell them on your own site?

-SF

Fearsome Forehand 10-01-2012 06:35 PM

I have seen some TK82's on the auction site of late. Haven't seen any TK 82S though.

Head seems to have totally stopped selling pallets to the general public which makes no sense to me at all.

SFrazeur 10-01-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racquet Daddy (Post 6930584)
Thanks for the entrepreneurial advice, Mr. Pure Drive. I'll get right on that!

Lots of people post on TW how they can make so, so much money by selling X online. Yet they themselves will not take the risk. If so much money can be made then why not. . .Doesn't make much sense to me.

-SF

Racquet Daddy 10-02-2012 07:49 AM

Ok...maybe my loose Seinfeld reference went over your head (That's gold, Jerry. Gold!). And just to clarify: these grip pallets wouldn't actually be made out of real gold. I was more or less inferring that the idea was gold. What doesn't make much sense is why you are on a mission to rain on this parade. Grip pallets are simply another small product (like lead tape or replacement grips) TW could add to their awesome assortment of racquet customizing accessories. They are also a hot item among Head users, yet very hard to come by. Let's keep going back and forth like this...it's productive.

Fearsome Forehand 10-02-2012 08:01 AM

I'm sure if you actually made some pallets out of gold and posted a thread touting the benefits of gold pallets, you would find some that agree that gold pallets make a racket play much better. :roll:

I got your reference. Why don't they call it Round-tine? :)

SFrazeur 10-02-2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racquet Daddy (Post 6931274)
Ok...maybe my loose Seinfeld reference went over your head (That's gold, Jerry. Gold!). And just to clarify: these grip pallets wouldn't actually be made out of real gold. I was more or less inferring that the idea was gold. What doesn't make much sense is why you are on a mission to rain on this parade. Grip pallets are simply another small product (like lead tape or replacement grips) TW could add to their awesome assortment of racquet customizing accessories. They are also a hot item among Head users, yet very hard to come by. Let's keep going back and forth like this...it's productive.

I'm not a Seinfeld fan. Such a reference would hardly go over my head as much as under my feet. Of course they are not formed from gold. My point is that people are always suggesting products. They always claim how great they are, how successful and financially rewarding it would be for TW to carry them. Yet they themselves will not go into business themselves to sell said products.

dr325i 10-02-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFrazeur (Post 6931404)
I'm not a Seinfeld fan. Such a reference would hardly go over my head as much as under my feet. Of course they are not formed from gold. My point is that people are always suggesting products. They always claim how great they are, how successful and financially rewarding it would be for TW to carry them. Yet they themselves will not go into business themselves to sell said products.

I do believe that the poster here has produced the pallets (Wilson shape) and has tried to sell them to the members and did not end up rich...

He may have sold about 20-30 sets and then it all went away...

SFrazeur 10-02-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr325i (Post 6931480)
I do believe that the poster here has produced the pallets (Wilson shape) and has tried to sell them to the members and did not end up rich...

He may have sold about 20-30 sets and then it all went away...

I recall someone doing that. It is just such a small market.

scotus 10-02-2012 10:54 AM

One member was nice enough to post pics of his molds and material needed to make pallets.

He said that even if he were to sell them for $20 to $25 a set, it wasn't worth it. Material too expensive and takes too long.

And I really don't see too many TW users willing to shell out that sort of money. Here even if I post for sale an originally $190 racquet in 9.5/10 condition at $110, I get a dozen mails asking for $20-$30 off.

But if TW were to get a Chinese factory to make those and sell them for $10 a set, that's a different story.

Racquet Daddy 10-02-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fearsome Forehand (Post 6931848)
If someone hurt themselves exchanging pallets, it is probably because they amputated their hand following the instructions on you tube / the ping pong table guy who removes pallets with a Bowie Knife. That is asking for trouble. Not the preferred method IMHO.

Haha...I've seen that video.

If racquet companies are going to make grips with interchangeable pallets, it would be nice for someone to make/sell extra pallets for said changing. I understand that grip pallets are aimed at a smaller market than, say, leather grips, but it's nice to hope.

Fearsome Forehand 10-02-2012 05:48 PM

Sadly, the economics are not there. I have seen several people try to do what you are suggesting; they all baled out. There is a reason for that.

JGads 10-02-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFrazeur (Post 6931404)

No soup for you.

SFrazeur 10-02-2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGads (Post 6932440)
No soup for you.

I really don't have anything against it. Just never appealed to me. I have paraphrased that famous quote when people ask for Pro Supex Strings. . .

"No Pro Supex for you!"

-SF

TheRed 10-03-2012 12:09 PM

There's simply not much incentive for the companies to sell pallets to us. They don't make too much off them and I can see pallets cannibalizing sales of racquets. Some people simple buy another racquet if they want to change grip sizes. If you can just change the pallet, that's a lost sale for Head.

Racquet Daddy 10-05-2012 07:42 AM

So why are they making racquets with pallets to begin with (real question)? Why not just make molds like Wilson, Yonex, Prince, etc?

MichaelChang 10-05-2012 08:44 AM

Back in the days HEAD used to sell pallets, you can buy pallets in many tennis shops. And it wasn't a profitable business so later HEAD decided to cut that and now look at the mess we have in hands. I agree, if they are making rackets with pallets, they should sell these in public, not just to a few shaddy racket customization shops which then flips for huge profit.

Broly4 10-30-2012 11:24 AM

They should, tennis grips are going western, those rectangular grip shapes prevent a lot of players from buying these brands sticks