Talk Tennis

Talk Tennis (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index.php)
-   Strings (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How harsh are hybrid kevlar string jobs? (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=441797)

auburnlull 10-01-2012 07:32 PM

How harsh are hybrid kevlar string jobs?

I bought a flexy demo racquet that came with a brand new Prince Pro Blend kevlar/synthetic gut string job strung at 56lbs. I am aware that kevlar is off the charts stiff and extremely arm unfriendly. Will the synthetic gut crosses soften things up enough to make it somewhat playable or should I just cut it out since I'm used to soft multifilaments and I am prone to sore joints? Does anybody have experience with the difference between a full bed of kevlar vs. a hybrid?

zapvor 10-01-2012 09:57 PM

i think you already know. kevlar is awful. unless you are breaking strings every week i would restring it

lawrencejin 10-01-2012 11:05 PM

Since kevlar is off the charts, and even synthetic guts are stiffer than multi's, you can be sure that the hybrid will be much stiffer than what your body is used to.

That said, I'm just curious how a kevlar/syngut hybrid plays. Haven't read much about it in these forums. Why don't you go out for a few hitting sessions and let us know? Am I being evil? Haha.

txt858 10-02-2012 05:19 PM

for me, it's not that bad. Kevlar doesn't vibrate, so my shots feels very solid. although it is a VERY low power string, so as long as your crosses has some power, it's not bad at all. I usually string mines up at 45lbs mains and 47lbs crosses. If you like hitting with a lot of SPIN, no other strings can compare to Kevlar. These strings really do grab on to the tennis balls. I say if you are more of a flat hitter, then the strings might feel stiff, because the Kevlar does not stretch and bounce back like synthetic or poly. If you like to brush up on the ball to generate that spin, you probably won't feel the stiffness of the Kevlar that much. You should try it, you might be surprise and might like it.

ChicagoJack 10-02-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auburnlull (Post 6930484)
I bought a flexy demo racquet that came with a brand new Prince Pro Blend kevlar/synthetic gut string job strung at 56lbs. I am aware that kevlar is off the charts stiff and extremely arm unfriendly. Will the synthetic gut crosses soften things up enough to make it somewhat playable or should I just cut it out since I'm used to soft multifilaments and I am prone to sore joints? Does anybody have experience with the difference between a full bed of kevlar vs. a hybrid?

Yeah, I recco you just cut it out. Straight up kevlar is lab tested at 600 - 981 lbs sq in [1] (Prince Pro Blend is the 981). The other hybrid blends still are way off the effing charts at 500 - 600 lbs sq in. That's twice as stiff as the stiffest polys in the 290-300 range. Besides the digits, I can tell you from experience. I played with Forten Aramid Gear (Textured Kevlar / Forten Sweet 16 Nylon) for several years. That was like 10-12 years ago. Whatever slight economic or performance advantage I thought I gained back then, just doesn't exist when compared to the string choices on the market today. There's plenty of strings that will last a good long time before snapping, play much better, and are waay more arm friendly.

BTW... ( Txt858 ) Kevlar holds no special advantage when it comes to "biting" or "grabbing" the ball for spin potential. Ball bite actually isn't really the big issue we thought it was years ago. Because the ball comes to a complete stop, and is squished flat like a bug into the string bed to nearly 50% the original size on impact, there is no more bite, or more grabbing to be had. There is biting sooner, or biting later, but the ball bites the string bed every time, on every impact. Consequently, it has been shown that low inter-string friction [2] (slippery is spinnier) is a much more important factor in spin production than ball on string friction.

[1]
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com...ctor_2012.html

[2]
http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/lear...ngmovement.php

Jack

mikeler 10-03-2012 06:03 AM

I used Prince Pro Blend for years before I bought my stringer almost 5 years ago. This was before I had elbow issues and I never felt it was overly stiff back then. Probably now it would feel like a board. Anyways, it did have good spin and I never broke it but after about 15-20 hours it turned into a sling shot and I had to cut the strings out.

Rabbit 10-03-2012 10:14 AM

^^^^^
same here

using kevlar is more like smoking cigarettes than getting hit by a car

the result it the same, it just sneaks up on you smoking...

with kevlar, the only way you can hedge your get is to string it ultra loose

& pay attention to your arm, if it feels tight, tired, or hurts at all when/after playing discontinue use immediately

I've not seen anyone who has played with kevlar long term who hasn't suffered some malady

rst 10-30-2012 02:45 PM

i use aramid gear on a dunlop ag4d 100 and i love it.
i started out on the high end of tension (64 crosses and 62 aramid mains) and after hitting hundreds and hundreds of balls the string bed (likely the syn gut crosses) have really gelled with the toothy aramid .

i expect the syn gut tension has fallen below the aramid and that my be the way to go from the onset. making the overall string bed lower tension but both string sets at the same tension??

like many strings you may have to tweak it to get it the way you want it and to me it does feel stiffer at equivalent tensions...when you get it right it gives great control and accuracy.

rst 10-30-2012 02:50 PM

" Txt858 ) Kevlar holds no special advantage when it comes to "biting" or "grabbing" the ball for spin potential. Ball bite actually isn't really the big issue we thought it was years ago."

if you squished a sponge onto a mesh of barbed wire fence and then onto a mesh of smooth galvanized steel fence would there be a different effect on the sponge?? greater tearing on one? are ball / string bed dynamics significantly different??

Say Chi Sin Lo 10-30-2012 03:25 PM

It's the last resort for a good reason.

tlm 10-30-2012 03:59 PM

So many here say that kevlars only benefit is durability for string breakers. Which may be true for some, but to me the biggest advantage it has is the control it offers. No string will give the same consistent control that kevlar does.

Even poly is not near as consistent as kevlar, no string will let you take such big cuts at the ball and still maintain such a high level of control.

Magnetite 10-30-2012 04:06 PM

Kevlar messed my shoulder up when I was 15.

I had absolutely no problems with my shoulder and had a huge serve for a 15 yr old.

Within two weeks of Kevlar, my rotator cuff was messed up forever. Now I can still bring the heat, but I have too be super careful off the court, and stick to a proper rehab and maintenance program.

My shoulder will never be the same. Thank you Kevlar (and idiot coach who recommended I use it).

2ndServe 10-30-2012 04:53 PM

I've been a kevlar user for 15+ years, with a 7 or 8 year gap without playing (been playing tons the last year or so). Been stringing 65+ lbs from the original pro staff, ti radical mp, etc. I think poly is way more harsh at high tensions. It's also been my experience that one handers with incorrect form usually develop arm problems with kevlar or stiff strings. If you serve loosely with your body, arm and wrist it's ok too. When I've tried to muscle or arm it too much and hit near the top of the racket is when you'll definitely feel it bad. Also kevlar in the first hour or two is super tight, after that it plays rather soft imo.

I just started using Forten sweet 16 in the cross at 70lbs, it's the only cross that seems very jaring to me if I hit it near the top of the racket.

Larrysümmers 10-30-2012 04:58 PM

47lbs in my leaded up rds 001 was a charm.crazy spun,I just couldst get power

DirtBaller4 06-04-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rst (Post 6984476)
" Txt858 ) Kevlar holds no special advantage when it comes to "biting" or "grabbing" the ball for spin potential. Ball bite actually isn't really the big issue we thought it was years ago."

if you squished a sponge onto a mesh of barbed wire fence and then onto a mesh of smooth galvanized steel fence would there be a different effect on the sponge?? greater tearing on one? are ball / string bed dynamics significantly different??

I have to disagree with you on this one. I used Forten aramid gear for a long time and just went to tourbite. I found the aramid had a lot more bite on the ball and produced drop shots that almost spun back into the net. String it in the forties for best results!

Shroud 06-04-2013 03:12 PM

I dig kevlar and have used it for years. Nothing feels as solid.

Recently I tried some modern strings with Alu Rough for the mains and NXG or some technifibre string. I couldnt keep a thing in the court. It was really springy but not on every shot.

Kevlar is just solid and gives you control. I agree with it biting the ball and swear that the ashaway kevlar bites more than the problend one.

Dont get me wrong. Some people like to fell the strings pocket the ball and well kevlar isnt for them unless it is at super low tensions. And it can be hard on your arm and I believe the "it messed my arm up" stories as well as the "been playing with kevlar for 15 years with no issues" stories too. If you have bad form or play alot or are returning after years away, Kevlar can be a harsh mistress, but a damn fine one too.

Inner Game 06-06-2013 10:22 AM

It really depends on your skill level with Kevlar

I've been playing with Ashway 17 Crossfire for 8 years in a Black Prince O3 and never experienced any arm problems from the stiffness.
I'm a 5.0 player and pretty much have good strokes(form that is:)) with not to many bad habits.
But, I'm sure this string could lead to arm issues for a lot of people. It's not forgiving but it gives tremendous spin and power as well as control. When the ball comes off the racquet its a "heavy ball" which penetrates the court.
Love Kevlar....hoping when I get older my arm doesn't fall off..:)